Chapter 77: Is it over?
240 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Without looking back, the Silver haired woman spoke to Sylvester.

“This is not the time for your Jokes Sylvester!” She replied in a stern yet worry filled voice, her next words trailing off into a whisper. “Thank the goddess, I made it in time.”

Rossa then focused her attention towards the animated corpse in front of her as it seemingly looked irritated over her arrival. While still keeping her eyes on the enemy, she continued to ask Sylvester for more details.

“So, is this the thing that was causing all the disturbance?” She asked.

“Yup, he's a Lich. I don’t know if you have something like that in Acqua but the Liches here tend to not die easily and if you don’t have the right tools or rather, right magic they can be extremely annoying to deal with.” Sylvester then slowly stood up.

“Although I have absolutely no idea how he is doing all of that other strange phenomenon that forced Inanis Orbis’ hand. That stuff is way above this guy's level, I'm beginning to suspect he's just a pawn. I should know, I was fighting him.” He explained, pertaining to the strange case of non existent disappearance cases.

“Do not fret. I do have a way to permanently kill him but we need to whittle him down a lot more for it to be effective.” He explained.

“I see.” Rossa replied as another violet spear collided against the barrier she had set up.

“Another pest has come here to ruin my plans, and this one brings with it an annoying bright light.” The Lich said in a low and irritated voice. “It doesn’t matter since I still have a large amount of mana I can tap into thanks to my minion- wait.” The voice suddenly stopped.

“That can’t be, what happened? Why can't I feel anything?” The Lich pondered as Sylvester once again started to taunt it with his words.

“What? You only noticed now? I guess I was really that good of an entertainer, props to me I guess!” Sylvster declared in a self congratulatory manner oozing with sarcasm.

The Lich’s face then convulsed and contorted as he experienced a rage he has never felt before. A anger so potent he was sure that his once dead heart was beating furiously. With his empty eyes sockets that were filled with a non existent fire of hatred,het stared down at the pair who stood defiantly in his path.

"Unforgivable! Unforgivable! How is this happening! They are merely children!" The Lich cursed as he ghashed his teeth in frustration.

Rossa and Sylvester were already preparing for their next move when they suddenly heard a voice speak in their heads.

“You two, move out of the way!” A female voice commanded, causing Rossa to put down her barrier and for both of them to jump sideways narrovly avoiding a large translucent arrow that flew in between them.

The arrow then pierced the Lich’s chest as it was too slow to react to the sudden attack, causing it to reel back a few steps.

“Another one!? Where do you keep coming from!? How did you hide!?” The Lich screamed as a blonde woman with knife-like ears appeared from behind Rossa and Sylvester.

“Yo Estelle, good to see you!” Sylvester said as he greeted the new arrival. “Wait, why didn’t you all come together? Where’s Artian?” He asked as the Lich once again let out a loud shriek calling forth more ghouls to his side and thus  replenishing their falling numbers once again.

“Oh look more ghouls.” As Sylvester made his usual comments another voice came hurtling down closer and closer.

“Sorry I’m late!” A male voice rang from the side as a figure jumped down from a nerby roof, placing himself in between the incoming ghouls and the trio behind. Donning spectral armor that looked incomplete and a glowing sword, the new arrival was a welcome sight.

“Ah you’re finally here Artian.” Rossa and Sylvester both said in an acknowledging tone.

"Took you long enough." Rossa then added her own extra remarks.

“I thought it would be a good idea to take out as many ghouls as I could before I got here. Whittle their numbers down, they ain’t that tough anyway.” He explained as he gathered mana into his sword.

“Blessing of the wind!” He shouted as a furious gale wrapped around his blade that was now glowing a bright green.

With every slice of Artian’s sword, a limb or even an entire body would be cut down from far away as strong gusts of wind as sharp as blades sliced through tender flesh. All while Artian tried his best to lessen the already increasing collateral damage done to the town.

The Lich’s chest wound has already regenerated at this point, but soon he found himelf outnumbered four to one.

He started to feel cornered as the supply of mana he was banking on was suddenly cut off via his enemies’ interference. Though in his mind he still thought he had the advantage simply because of the amount of ghouls still at his disposal.

Upon calling out for them to stand and protect him, he started to notice that they were dwindling in number.

“No, no this.” The Lich said as it started to panic.

“Oh good, he’s running out of pawns. Looks like your detour paid off Artian.” Estelle commented.

“Alright guys. I just need you to weaken him as much as possible. Once it’s done leave the rest to me.” Sylvester said as he pointed at the Lich who now had a fearful expression on its face.

“Looks like you’re undeath is about to come to an end!” Sylvester declared as Estelle and Artian charged forward as if death itself has come to catch up with the fearful undead.

The Lich commanded his remaining ghouls to fight off the attacking duo but they all too easily fell to the rushing pair.

As the duo of Knight and elf archer sliced and shot through the dwindling horde, the Lich started to panic even more and planned to run away. But as soon as he turned around, a door appeared out of thin air and out of it came his first opponent; Sylvester Clearsight.

As Sylvester’s body walked out of the trapdoor, his two warriors joined up from behind and blocked the Lich’s path. With a snap of his fingers, Sylvester's Shikigami assistants then assumed a fighting stance with their weapons upfront. 

“You ain’t going anywhere!” Sylvester said as he smiled.

“Damn you!” The lich then once again tried to use the spell that called out the flesh like chains. As he began his chanting however, Artian and Estelle already closed the distance and started attacking him.

Estelle managed to shoot his head with an arrow causing it to explode on contact while Artian cut his entire body in half. The Lich then regenerated after receiving the blows and tried to retaliate.

Letting out another loud shriek, Artian and Estelle were forced to back away due to the sound alone. Giving the Lich some breathing room, but then the ground below him started to glow as bright magic circles started to manifest underneath.

“Pillars of light!” Rossa who was now flying high above using her brilliant wings lay siege on the enemy down below.

With pinpoint accuracy, Rossa’s spell consumed the Lich’s body in a large pillar of light making it look like he was being purified on sight.

Once the light cleared all that was left was the skull and bones of the Lich while his dry flesh started to regenerate back to give himself form.

“You damn worms!” Was the only words it could call out as he once again ate another attack from Rossa.

What came after was nothing short of a brutal and almost comical beat down as the group took turns to destroy the Lich’s body over and over like juvenile lions playing with their food. To the Lich’s horror he found himself unable to fight back as he was immediately assaulted the moment his body regenerated. He was completely powerfless and felt nothing but despair. 

“Stop it please!” Was all it could scream as he felt his strength wane overtime and soon, it reached a point where he could barely stand.

But he did not give up, in one final effort to run away, he used the time that he was being destroyed over and over to gather enough mana to use a large fireball spell. He did not even care if he were to be caught in the blast, he simply wanted some much needed breathing room.

“I will not fall here! I will rise again!” It yelled as a bright orange ball appeared above him. It then brought down towards the ground hoping to use it as a distraction to run away. However, the Lich tripped and fell over in one step, and saw that a long piece of string was tied on his foot. Tracing it back to the source he found it attached to the hand of the accursed magician.

“Where are you planning to go mr Lich? The finale is about to begin!” Sylvester said while smiling as the Lich’s position was then covered by a bright dome made out of particles of light.

Rossa used her spell Luminous barrier to cage in the Lich inside and to minimize the damage ensuing explosion will deal to the surroundings. As he banged his fist against the barrier, desperate to break through, the Lich found himself caught in his own scheme and was devoured by the large fireball, by his own spell.

As the smoke cleared, The Lich can be seen lying on the ground barely moving. The last ounces of its strength have gone from its body.

As it weakly crawled away. Sylvester walked up to it and took out a piece of white paper from his hat that had a Japanese character written on it.

It was an exorcism seal or talisman that he was given during his short time in Japan. Liches can only be completely destroyed using exorcism spells or rites since if their souls aren’t cleansed, they will simply return back to their crypt and await to resurrect again.

Sylvester placed the seal on Lich's head. Sylvester then made a gesture on his hand, the thumb all the way to the middle fingers were raised, while the rest were down.

Closing his eyes he gathered mana into his hand and aimed it at the seal.

“Kiyomeru!”(purify) Sylvester yelled as the white paper talisman burst into a blue flame causing the Lich to flail and scream helplessly on the ground. As the ethereal flame continued to burn brightly, Sylvester could not help but ask one question.

“Is it over?” 

10