Chapter 89: Stupid plans beget a knuckle sandwich
345 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lunch time came and the usual suspects gathered together once again. The Magician’s troupe bought some food and took it to their base inside the Student affairs office. The small room that was formerly a storage space provided some much needed privacy, as they still haven't quite moved on from their experience as it continued to linger in their minds.

“Yeesh it’s been days and I still feel bothered about that mission. There was just something extra about that whole ordeal.” Estelle complained as she chowed down on her food. 

“You don’t get to face death every day, so yeah this is only natural.” Artian replied in agreement. 

“Now we understand why the mission applications are literally just waivers. Sometimes things just go way off course no matter how much you think you’re in control.” Sylvester joked as the three stared towards Rossa who was strangely quiet. They knew that she was the one most affected, so at this point in time they all share a common concern for their friend.

As Rossa continued to space out and completely ignore Sylvester’s poor attempt at a joke, Estelle then reached out and poked her arm with her index finger causing the absent minded girl to suddenly jolt. 

“Are you okay?” Estelle asked with a soft voice filled with concern. Although the therapy sessions had helped a lot, Rossa mental state hasn’t made a full recovery as of yet. 

“I-I’m fine.” Rossa replied as she quickly tried to regain her composure, but her actions seemed fake and forced. 

“Yo, if you want to talk you know you can right?” Artian declared voicing his own concerns. “I know we haven’t exactly known each other for a long time, but I consider you an important ally and friend.”

However Artian’s concern didn’t seem to reach her as she continued to remain silent. Letting out a sigh he then gave Sylvester a nudge with his elbow much to his surprise. At this point even Sylvester was at a loss for words. He didn’t really know how to deal with this sort of situation but given how Estelle seemed to be staring daggers at him he at least had to try.  "A magician should be able to make people smile, now how do I make her smile again?"

As his brain rambled on about what he wanted to do, a sudden flash of inspiration came to him as he remembered that he hasn’t spent his spell points yet. “Alright, this idea is pretty stupid but I don’t have anything else with me at the moment. Haste makes waste but time is of the essence. Plus Houdini didn't really die from this so I'm safe.” He thought as a grin forming on his face throwing all caution to the wind, he then faced the slumped Rossa and made a sudden request to everyone around. 

“Guys! Are you all free this afternoon? I kind of want to go for a picnic, what say you?!” He suddenly blurted out much to everyone's surprise.

“Picnic? Sure! I think I have a big enough cloth for the four of us to use though it’s completely and utterly pink. I hope you guys don’t mind.” Estelle responded with excitement. 

Artian was a little apprehensive at first since he didn’t really know what Sylvester was planning, but in the end he decided to go along. 

“Sure dude, why the hell not? There’s still a bit of daytime left after our classes anyway.” He agreed, knowing full well his very eccentric friend has something cooked up in his mind. 

Artian always saw his friend Sylvester as an oddity. He does whatever he wants in a very thematic fashion. Always trying to be over the top as much as he could, and because of their most recent endeavor, his respect for Sylvester has only grown. 

A sentiment that Estelle shares. She knows that their best bet for making Rossa smile would be a magic trick from the self proclaimed magician. 

“So, Rossa. Are you up to it?” He asked. Finally the unmoving Rossa responded and gave her approval, nodding her head and giving a weak smile. 

“Nice. Okay then, why don’t you guys head on to our class first. I’ll catch up to you guys later!” Sylvester then carried the rest of his meal with him as he ran towards the door. 

“Hey! Where are you going!?” Estelle exclaimed as Sylvester stopped just shy of opening the door. 

“I still haven’t bought a spell and I just recently kind of remembered it! So lemme get it real quick. Aight, see yah later duders.” And with that Sylvester disappeared out of the room. 

“Huh, he just went and left.” Artian commented as three were left behind, dumbfounded inside their little office. 

---

Sylvester then hurriedly went to the twins as he wanted to reach the headmaster for the procurement of spells via the knowledge sign system. Upon being led to the Chamber of learning he immediately went and looked for the spell he wanted to learn. 

However, due to the very spontaneous decision he made a few minutes ago he decided to go for a completely different spell. 

“Where is it? Damn it, why does this category have so many options!” He yelled and complained loudly as he quickly scrolled down the items displayed to him via a holographic image. 

After a few seconds of frustration, he finally found what he was looking for.

“Yes! There it is!” He declared as he locked on his choice after being asked if he was sure or not. A symbol was then shown in front of him, of a simple drawing of a man surrounded by twinkling stars. He then held his head and braced himself. 

“Oh man, I am not going to get used to this anytime soon.” He regretfully declared as a familiar painful sensation forced him down to the floor once again. 

---

As he promised Sylvester made it to their afternoon class with barely any time left, arriving exactly 30 seconds before professor Paleo X arrived. But sadly his lessons and his words were passing through Sylvester’s ears and out the other as he had other things in mind. 

The class ended and as soon as they were dismissed, the four went ahead and prepared for the picnic. They first went back to the girls’ dorm as Estelle took out her large pink cloth that they could use for their picnic. 

They went to the food market to buy some snacks, but decided to just go for an early dinner and bought food accordingly. Instead of going for junk food and the like they just went for a few sandwiches and other finger food they can share. Thankfully, they all pitched in for the financial burden so Sylvster didn’t really have any fears about his budget going forward into the week. 

Although Rossa remained silent, the three could see that she was having a more positive expression on her face as there was a bit more light shining from her crimson eyes. It seems that her friend’s actions have touched her heart so to speak. 

The four then headed towards the spot where they first grouped up together, the open field near the library. 

This is where Sylvester, Artian, and Estelle were practicing their magic during the time before the practical exams. This is also where Rossa first approached them of her accord, fuming in frustration as she berated Sylvester’s misguided efforts.

For some reason, Rossa could feel a sense of nostalgia over the empty field. It was strange because it hasn’t been long since she last went here and yet she feels like it was ages ago. 

They sent up the pink cloth and laid down the food they bought and began to chow down. They all made small talk for a little while and surprisingly Rossa was very receptive but a lot more reserved, almost as if she reverted back to her previous state.

Sylvester then let out a sigh as he suddenly slapped his face with both hands and breathed in deeply. 

“Okay, let’s do this. Showtime!” Sylvester thought to himself as he psyched himself up. “This is going to be painful, and I sure hope it’s going to be worth it.”

Sylvester then stood up and went in front of the other three. 

“Okay Artian come here and be my assistant for this trick!” He suddenly said in a commanding tone, much to Artian’s surprise. 

“I wonder what the hell this guy is cooking up. Eh whatever.” Artian at first wanted to question it, but decided to just go along for the ride. But Sylvester's next few words would take him and everyone else by complete surprise. 

“Okay buddy, I want you to punch me as hard you can!” Sylvester proudly declared he presented his own face, while beaming a smile. 

“Okay, what the fuck?” Artian inwardly complained as Estelle made her own objections. 

“Sylvester, what do you think you will accomplish here?” She voiced her disapproval only for Sylvester to brush her off. 

“Don’t worry, I may not be as well trained in close quarters combat like Artian but I have been in quite a few fights when I was younger I’m sure I can hold my own.” He reassured them with complete and almost arrogant confidence. Like he was trying to provoke his friend.

“Ohoho dem be fightin words!” Artian replied but still he was very reluctant. “Still, dude, are you sure about this?” 

“Of course! I’ll have you know I bought a spell that will help me deal with fast incoming attacks, don’t worry I will surely be able to handle your strikes!” Sylvester proudly declared. 

“Okay fine! But I will be holding back.” Artian declared. 

“Nonsense! Hit me as hard you can!” Sylvester demanded. 

“Dude! I don’t want to punch you in the face!” Artian rightfully complained, but Sylvester was having none of it and resorted to kindergarten tactics.

“What? Are you a chicken?!” Sylvester childishly replied and continued.

“What are you a scaredy cat!? Come on just do it!” Sylvester continued with his childish antics, even going as far as mimicking the actions of a chicken. Admittedly, despite being quite temperamental, Artian was far and above these weak kinds of provocations. However, he also knew that if Sylvester was going this far, his friend might have a trick up his sleeves as he has demonstrated in the past.

Upon realizing that whatever crazy plan of his seemed to work, he finally agreed. And without warning, he let out a very fast right swing fully expecting his friend to dodge it but once again everyone was surprised at what happened next. 

Artian’s fist made complete contact on Sylvester’s face as the girls watched in complete horror. It looked like Sylvester was trying to use a spell since they felt a small surge of mana and Sylvester’s lips moving, but it seems that even he was caught by surprise. It was a powerful punch. Sylvester felt his world was rocked as his head jolted sideways with a powerful blow. Truth be told he almost fell to the ground, but managed to re-balance himself. Before he could say another word however, Rossa suddenly called out. 

“What are you doing!?” She suddenly yelled out, only for Sylvester to look at her with a smile. 

“Don’t worry, that was a lucky shot.” Sylvester then looked Artian.

“Come on Artian, hit me!” Sylvester yelled and Artian once again gave him a powerful swing that connected once again. This time however, he fell closer to the ground but he managed to hold on looking back at Artian with determined eyes and and a smug showman's smile with that single gaze.

“Huh? Even though I am a bit competent, I still get trashed huh? I guess sometimes things just don't go your way.” Sylvester loudly declared, those words seemed to aimed at a certain someone. "But a few bruises isn't going to deter me, and I will be able to realize this vision for a new trick!"

“Are you sure about this Sylvester?” He asked as Sylvester only looked at him with a smile. 

“Yes. Now keep punching me until I manage to avoid it!”

11