00 – Before the sneeze
50 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Itdal, a god of creation was having a wonderful time caressing a newly sparked world into new and interesting shapes. It was just something special about new beginnings because they never quite turned out the same. The feeling of creating something new that had never existed before never really became old and instead simply accumulated inside like the countless worlds scattering their domain. Halfway through shaping the physical and magical laws of the world there was something that brought Itdal out of their thoughts. A new spark of life had appeared and it filled the god with wonder like it always did.

Leaving the world with its half formed laws was not really an issue since a world would always find an interesting way all on its own however any chance for it to develop complex features like life was doubtful but that was also fine. After all something much more interesting required their attention prompting the god to disappear in the blink of an eye only to appear in the void between worlds. The void was special because it was from there they created new things and it functioned as a sort of work surface to hold creations of all forms be they creatures or entire worlds.

Aside from the obvious universes scattered around the void there was also uncountable other objects and creatures in between. Some were products of Itdal that they for one reason or another did not move into their own world so they simply maintained their existence in the void. Others were things that one way or another managed to leave their universe and either chose to exist in the void or was trapped since there were never any considerations made for anyone else but the god themselves to utilize this space. It could be done of course, Itdal knew countless entities that regularly used the void for all sorts of things including traveling between universes but it still remained an uncooperative space for most.

What was before Itdal was the result of when those entities failed to safely navigate the void. The remnant of countless vessels all crammed into an unrecognizable mess slowly making its way between worlds but never staying in one place or one reality for too long. It was unstable in a sort of way. Itdal was quite proud of this natural phenomena as its random nature always made for interesting happenings which is why he made it possible in the first place.

Some of Itdal's most cherished memories were of just these types of constructs appearing in unsuspecting worlds and having dramatic consequences that shaped the history of that entire world from then on. Events such as the discovery of the void was normal to come from this. The constructs themselves also contained a wealth of knowledge both in the form of records on various ships or from reverse engineering the things within it. This allowing knowledge from worlds far beyond your own and often with different natural laws. One particular event where they first discovered that their world supported magic by examining an otherworldly battery flashed across their mind and brought a smile to their lips.

The constructs almost always also contained countless creatures both hostile and not that it had picked up from various worlds it previously visited or from the void itself. Anyone brave enough to explore the ancient halls were bound to experience plenty of adventure and excitement. Many civilizations actively hunted down the location and tried to predict appearance of these things for the benefits they might bring.

This one though was a bit more special however. A spontaneously created life had appeared within its halls. Nothing too uncommon all things considered but everyone a wonder to Itdal as they stared through the kilometers of twisted metal to observe the humming reactor core containing a new life. The life itself was by no means intended to inhabit the reactor but it was instead a form of construct that can spontaneously generate under various circumstances. A dungeon core.

This discovery exited Itdal since although they had seen and even created dungeons before this was the first one that had spontaneously generated inside a construct such as this and the implications were making their fingers itch in anticipation. A dungeon that could go from world to world was interesting, so very interesting indeed however its continued existence was by no means guaranteed.

A construct might be a wealth of knowledge and possibilities but it was also dangerous. A newborn life even if they were a dungeon would not have much chance to survive for very long. While Itdal was used to waiting and time did not quite work the same for gods in the first place there was still a childish impatience to them which made them decide to give a single helping hand. It made sense they justified to themselves since until now there had never been something quite like it. This dungeon should therefore have abilities to reflect their unique position. If those abilities may or may not be a bit too powerful compared to normal dungeons then well... that is just how this new species of dungeon was.

Itdal's mind being made up they grinned deeply and reached out with their hands towards the flickering light inside the generator.

.....

...

..

.

.

 

The dungeon was having a great time. It had figured out that one of the mechanical doors to its chamber was under its control and was busy opening and closing it continuously with a horrific grinding sound from the deteriorated mechanism. The door itself was moving painfully slow and irregularly and only opening up to a dead end where whatever corridor was completely cut off by debris and possibly the hull of another vessel. The dungeon however did not understand any of this particularly well and was simply fascinated with the ability to interact with the world and the possibility that every time the door opened something else interesting might be waiting on the other side.

It was not all great though. Ever since it woke up there had been a growing sense of.. something.. a sort of unease in the back of its mind that it could not place. If it did not know better it would feel paranoid that it was not alone somehow even though it did not quite understand what "Alone" meant. Out of nowhere the feeling became all encompassing. Something was there... watching. The dungeon core wanted to turn around and look behind as if to catch whoever it was which proved difficult since it was both able to see everywhere inside his room and its best understanding of moving was a rusty door which was not helping.. probably.. maybe it should not stop moving the door just in case it did something.

The feeling built up until it felt like its very being was studied, poked and prodded by the unease. The feeling of attention was almost getting ticklish now and something was building up insi-

....

..

.

 

The reactor suddenly flashed dimly and released a small tremor through the room. Itdal was a bit shocked quite frankly and was frozen in the middle of manipulating the forces under its command. Only one word came to its mind... Cute.

I hope you enjoyed the introduction to this little world of mine. I thought it would be nice to get a handle on things far faaaar earlier than the dungeon itself would have due to the nature of the events I have planned.

Feel free to tear my rambling nonsense apart in the comments and have a lovely day.

0