Chapter 2 – Family
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elias city was the name where Jun’s life.

This city created by Elias, the strongest human ranker alive, eight years after mass transmigration happened, just when the second great war began – a war that involved all races in this world. This war nearly brought extinction to many races and also will devastate the one that survived. Realizing that, all races agreed to make a new peace treaty led by their rankers.

Right now, this peace still maintained. Many other races started working and even create a family in human cities. The divisive notion about race began to disappear on people's hearts.

Many Beastmans also worked in the Jun’s guild – the hunter guild. Whether as office workers or as hunters.

As a matter of fact, Jun spoke to one right now.

“If not for the stab wounds here and there, I could give you full price for these meats.”

Inside the hunter guild’s building, a beautiful bunny receptionist behind the desk carefully examined the meats brought by Jun.

“I can’t give you full price for this much damage. I could only offer you 300 Tokens for these meats.”

“Sounds fair, Miss Tera. I accept,” Jun answered.

“It’s a deal then,” Tera smiled and then gave three stacks of money to Jun.

At first, the Token only used at war ten years ago as a means to calculate soldier’s merit. However, as time passes, the city lord decided to make this Token as the official currency of this city. The Token was backed up with this city’s runes reserves so that people could exchange their Token with runes in the treasury. There also no need to worry about counterfeit because the Token created with the lord's unique artifact. The genuine Token gave a distinct warm sensation after poured with a small amount of mana.

After receiving the money, Jun walked home. The sun nearly set, but even so, many people still bustled in the road because they just come back from hunting in the outside.

It was a regular occurrence, so Jun didn’t pay attention to people's clamor as he swam in his own thought.

“With this much money, they could eat lavishly tonight,” Jun smiled while thinking his sibling in the orphanage.

Jun hummed happily and walked with light pace towards his family, the orphanage that raised him since he was small.

Unnoticed by him, a man near an alley glared at him like a hunter looking at his prey.

***

On the south corner of the city, there was a wooden two-story building. The building was a bit old fashioned. This building had some patched woods here and there to cover the holes, but it was clean and neat. Above the front door, there was a big writing sign of the name of the building. It was written with a colorful pattern and doodles from the kids that lived here.

This place’s name was Sunnyview Orphanage, the home where Jun spent his childhood, and even now, when he already resided in the hunters’ lodge, he still often visited this place to play with the children here.

From outside, Jun saw many children in the garden playing tag with each other. He also saw a small girl in the orphanage hallway standing with one foot while her hands were holding two buckets.

“It seems she is punished again by Big Sister,” Jun chuckled. He remembered back then he also got the same punishment for fighting.

“Evening fellow kids, how do you do,” Jun greeted the children while coming to the garden.

“Whoa, it’s Jun, everyone,” a boy yelled to his friends after realizing Jun came.

After hearing the boy shout, many kids surrounded Jun and clamored him with many questions. Some kids came from inside the house with glittering eyes because Jun usually brought food when he arrived.

“What food do you bring today,” a small cute girl asked eagerly.

“I’m sad that you only think of me as your food carrier, Mai. I just wanted to have a nice night with all of you, but the only thing you think is the item I bring, I wish you missed me more than the food I bring,” Jun dejectedly said as he pretended to be pained.

“Wha, that’s what not I mean. I mean, uh. I mean,” the girls tried to find the right words before finally burst out running, “Uwaa, Big Sister. Jun’s bullying me.”

“Jun. Is it that fun to teasing your own little sister,” a woman wearing sister clothes appeared from the inside while hugging the girl.

“Yes, of course, Big Sister. It’s a brother privilege to annoy his own sister. If a man has a cute little sister, then he’s not only right to tease her, he is obligated to do so,” Jun retorted confidently.

“Shut up and apologize to Mai,” the sister spoke with a threatening aura around her.

“Yes, ma’am,” Jun straightened his back and answered loudly.

“Damn, old habit die hard,” Jun murmured as he remembered with past trauma.

He looked at Mai that still hid behind the sister like a small kitten. He couldn’t help to let out a smile looking at this cinnamon roll and then moved towards her.

“Mai, sorry about earlier,” Jun apologized. “Look, I even bring meats for us to eat later,” Jun opened his inventory and showed Mai the Rhino’s meat he hunted earlier.

Mai let go of her hug and moved behind the Big Sister. She then showed her head slowly while looking at Jun with her glistened eyes.

“Umm, I’m sorry too, Jun. I don’t mean like that earlier,” unexpectedly, Mai also apologized. “I’m glad you’re coming to see us. I’m still happy even if you don’t bring us anything. I hope you’re not mad at me and will still coming here.”

“Aww, what a cute cinnamon roll,” Jun couldn’t help to let out his honest thought.

“Wait, I mean. Of course, I’ll always come here. Who will beat some sense to these boys when they annoy you, Mai, if I’m not here,” Jun said while pointing at other boys in the orphanage.

“Hey, we hear you. We would never make Mai cries like you, Jun,” one of the boys shouted.

“Is that right? Why I remembered differently last week,” Jun replied.

After hearing Jun’s retort, the boys only can cough awkwardly. When Jun saw the boy behave like they just farted in the library, Jun had a mischievous idea.

“Hey, Mai. Can you answer my questions? Who’s the person you like most in this place?”

The boys who just coughed earlier instantly fell silent. They didn’t dare to ask Mai, even though they wanted to hear her response.

“Ummm,” Mai mumbled while thinking and put her index finger to her temple. The boys, on the other hand, stopped breathing.

After a while, Mai answered confidently, “Big Sister.”

After hearing that, the boy let out a sigh of relief. “Well, that is as expected. Big Sister is more like a mother to all of us,” one of the boys cheekily said, and they started clamored again.

Looking at those noisy boys, like people who acted awkwardly in front of their crush. Jun enticed into asking the next question, “And who’s the second you like the most?”

Those loud boys fell silent and stopped breathing again, which felt funny in Jun sight.

Mai pointed to him while her face was facing the ground and then said slowly, “Jun.”

“Eh, seriously,” Jun and all the boys surprised at the unexpected answer.

“…Un,” Mai nodded with red ears.

Jun fell silent for a moment and blushed a little, his chest filled with a strange happiness. He couldn’t maintain his poker face, and a smile bloomed on his mouth. He immediately jumped to Mai to hug her, and then he faced the boys while laughing boastfully.

“Wahaha, look at me, you son of bitches. It’s me, the number one boy she liked. Must suck to be you – snotty brats – without my overwhelming charm and only know to play and sleep,” Jun taunted the boys to show his happiness and also hide his embarrassment.

Those boys got riled up, and then one of them shouted, “everyone, attack.”

After hearing the shouts, the boys jumped to strike, but Jun evaded them with ease while still hugging Mai.

“Bring it on, you mini dwarf. You’re too soon a hundred years to even kissing my ass.”

“Well, time to get more serious,” the boy spoke and then changed into a small werewolf.

“That’s more like it, you little brat. Come here if you dare,” Jun taunted.

The werewolf boy prepared to strike but stopped midway and trembled. He changed into his human form and stepped backwards.

“So you don’t dare after all,” Jun laughed, not realizing the danger behind him.

On the other hand, the boys understood the situation and shouted synchronously, “We’re sorry.”

“Finally, you lot know your place,” Jun mocked again.

“Jun. Language,” a soft but menacing voice came from behind.

“Eh,” Jun exclaimed while sweats flowed on his face while he was trying to not look behind him.

“Where did I do wrong,” Jun mumbled while posing like a letter T with buckets in his hands.

“Hehe, now we’re in the same position,” a girl giggled, she was the one who stood in the hallway with the same pose.

“We’re different. I’m innocent. It’s those brats fau— aw, aw,” Jun shouted again but stopped midway as he’s in agony from Big Sister’s beating earlier.

“Jun. Another thirty minutes,” a voice came from inside the building.

“Yes, ma’am,” Jun weakly said with a little tear in his eyes.

***

Contrast with this peaceful night at the Sunnyview Orphanage, people in the city lord’s residence was frenzied – many people run in a hurry like rats with burning tails.

The reason for this chaotic atmosphere was because the lord’s only daughter fainted at noon earlier. Not long after she passed out, her body temperature risen absurdly like boiling water. However, there was no notable change nor damage in her body except excessive sweating.

The lord already consumed every kind of healing runes and artefact he had, he even called the best doctors and wizards in this city, but to no avail, it didn’t work. Her temperature kept rising, which made regular servant couldn’t even stay in the same room with her.

While everyone anxiously searched the solution while discussing to each other, nobody realized her mouth moved as though trying to say something.

“Jun. I. Sorry.”

Nobody noticed that some tears mixed in between her gushing sweats.

0