Chapter 3.
94 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex Bright wasn't sure if the people gathered around the campfire would be strong enough to defeat the giant toad, but he didn't have any choice. He bet his life on the hope that there would be at least someone who knew how to fight properly.

Part of him felt guilty - after all, what if those people are as weak as he is, and then they all would be slaughtered because of him? Well, it wouldn't matter then. After all, in this case, he would be dead first. And nothing should matter to the dead ones.

He desperately ran towards the smoke and voices. They were less than fifty meters from him.

Just a little bit more!

But then, he heard thundering croak less than ten meters away. It was here.

That is it. The end. I'm dead.

Based on his previous experiences with less toad, Alex guessed that ten meters were enough for this one to kill him with its long tongue.

Well, at least I could meet my parents again and complain to them about their shitty debts.

Alex started to steel himself for the inevitable. He no longer ran. Instead, he turned back and stared at the monster. He met its enraged gaze.

Even if I die, I will do it looking the death in the face.

And then, the death came. But the one to die wasn't Alex. But the monster.

A dark humanoid shadow moved faster than Alex could follow with his eyes, and then it hit the toad with unbelievable power. In the next moment, the dreaded monster burst like a balloon filled with air. Just, instead of the air, it was filled with blood, inner organs, and guts. Some of the disgusting liquids splashed on Alex's face, almost making him puke.

Shit, it was horrifying. And awesome. And horrifying.

He just stood there in shock. The figure approached him. Now he could make a proper look at his savior.

From afar, this person can be mistaken for a human. But it definitely was something else. Two meters tall, broad in shoulders, wearing dark plate armor without a helm. Though unusual, but still humanlike. But instead of eyes, it had two rubies on its face. Its skin was like white marble. And instead of hair, black rocks grew from the top of its head.

Is it a golem? Maybe I was saved from some kind of magician.

Alex knew that proper etiquette in his situation would be to thank his savior, whoever, or whatever it was.

"Thank you very much! I own you my life. My name is Alex."

He extended his hand for a handshake, but the stranger ignored him. It looked at Alex with its ruby eyes, its face unreadable. Then it turned to the other side - there was a big group of toads approaching them.

"Sen haide el de shalar!"

Then it shouted to its companions, and seven of them appeared. All wore similar armors and were apparently of the same race. They did have some minor differences between each other - different types of gems were inserted in their eyes. The creatures' speed wasn't as fast as that of the one who saved Alex. Still, it doesn't mean that they were slow. In fact, their movements were superhumanly agile and not matched their size and heavy armor.

With heavy maces and hammers, the stone creatures effortlessly slaughtered the toads. Now that Alex regained his calm a little, he was able to check their levels. Alas, all of them didn't have any numbers. Above their heads were only dark red "??", with one shining star. The one who saved him from the toad's boss did have two dark black question marks and two shining stars instead.

I guess their levels are too high, so I can't see them.

The one who saved him gestured Alex to follow them in the makeshift camp. He assumed that it was the group's leader.

Well, it is somehow impolite to think about them as 'it'. After all, just now, they saved my life.

The campfire was bigger than Alex expected - almost two meters high. Around it was two tents, two caged wagons with people in them, and two lizards of the horse size - apparently used to pull said wagons.

Seeing the impoverished people inside the wagons, Alex felt a chill on his spine.

Could it be they are slavers? It would be bad. Like, really, really bad. No, I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Other than Alex, caged people - about ten of them in each cage - and eight armored soldier-like beings, there was only another one presence in the camp. A woman.

Oh my gosh, she is gorgeous.

Even though the woman was of the same race as those soldiers, she was different. She looked like a perfect statue of a goddess, carved by a master sculptor. Her body voluptuous, with perfect proportions. She wore a blue robe, carved with runes and inscriptions. The gems in her eyes are brightly shining in all rainbow colors.

She approached Alex, gently looked at him, and smiled. She exchanged some words with the men's leader, her voice soothing and charming.

Then, she raised her hand on Alex, and he was raised in the air by an invisible force that tried to strangle him.

I never expected to experience Dark Vader's choke on myself. Just marvelous.

Those were the last thoughts before he lost consciousness.

2