Invitation to the Plum Garden
2.5k 2 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After she returned back to the manor, Bai Yu Yan heard from the maids that she was summoned by her mother-in-law to Plum Garden. It must have been for something important since she does not just get called for drinking tea.

As she opened the closet to get dressed, Bai Yu Yan sighed looking at the original owner's dress collection. Exaggerated decoration, loud colors tsk.. too flashy. At the very bottom of the closet were some wearable ones, which were obviously too simple for the original owner seeing their position below all the other dresses.

She mentally noted to rearrange the closet. She does not want to get a headache as soon as she opens it.

Bai Yu Yan picked a light green dress that she found wearable among the available ones and quickly ordered Xiao Fan to dress her properly. Holding half of her hair with a green jade hairpin, she let the other half to fall to her waist. After applying minimal makeup, she looked at the mirror and felt satisfied with her appearance. Honestly speaking, this body was actually beautiful. Smooth creamy skin, long silky black hair like a waterfall and more importantly her small well mapped face. If not for her airport boobs, Bai Yu Yan could easily get 9 out of 10, spare one point for her lack of good taste.

"Miss, you really look beautiful ah", Xiao Fan looked at Bai Yu Yan with sparkling eyes.

Smiling at her silly maid's expression, she got up from the dressing table and left for the Plum Garden.

Bai Yu Yan had actually visited the Plum Garden during the time she had been married. The overall Lu manor was constructed with much care as it was the Prime Minister's residence. Moreover, the previous Prime Minister loved his wife so much that he especially built the Plum Garden all according to her preference. The beautiful garden with all kinds of flowers, the serene gazebo at the center of the lotus pond..ahhh..every time Bai Yu Yan came here, she sighed for not transmigrating as her mother-in-law. It is said that the previous Prime Minister, Lu Tong Xiao's father, favored his wife so much that it made Old Madame Lu somewhat dissatisfied with her daughter-in-law. So she carefully chose a very beautiful concubine for her son to distract his attention from his wife. Turns out even after 3 months of sending the concubine to her son's bed, the Prime Minister didn't even know her name, let alone touch her. Hearing about this, the Old Madame Lu nearly fainted from anger.

No wonder Madame Lu was always portrayed as a cool mother-in-law in the novel. Turns out Father Lu gave her such an extravagant life that she never had any time for scheming.

Bai Yu Yan mentally praised Father Lu as she went inside. In the receiving room of the Plum Garden, an elegant woman was sitting on a high chair. Age seemed to favor her more to have made her all the more refined. Although she was around the late forties, there were very few wrinkles on her face that were almost covered up by her make-up. Her long fingernails were painted red and matched with her red outfit made of high-quality silk, it added more to her sophistication.

As soon as Bai Yu Yan entered the room, she took a moment to take in her mother-in-law's appearance. Looking at her, she understood why Father Lu was still enchanted by his wife. No wonder she could be favored by the former Prime Minister even to this day. She was a woman of taste and style.

"Daughter-in-law greets mother and wishes her good health". Bai Yu Yan got down to her knees and curtsied properly under Madame Lu's measuring gaze.

While she was maintaining the bowing position, her face did not show any sign of impatience. Although her bangs were covering the look in her eyes, she appeared calm like the sea.

"Get up, Yu Yan". Not being able to find any fault, Madame Lu did not look at her anymore and blew on the tea that was served.

While she was focusing on her mother-in-law, she did not seem to notice the presence of another person in the room.

Seeing Bai Yu Yan stand on her feet without any further movement, Madame Lu chuckled lightly. "Yu Yan, your husband had only left for a few days and you've already forgotten about him ah?"

Bai Yu Yan's eyes flickered with confusion. She turned her head to finally notice the other person in the room. With a hint of embarrassment, she hurriedly went to her knees and bowed, "This wife greets His Excellency. Forgive this one for her mistake."

Lu Tong Xiao, the very ignored man, observed the woman in front of him. She was wearing a light green skirt that matched the green jade hairpin on her long silky hair. She had minimal makeup on her face and natural expression as she quickly tried to hide the embarrassment.

Now talking about himself, he was really confident about his own strong presence, so did she really not see him just now?

"Stand up". Coming back to himself, he averted his eyes and spoke with his usual cold voice.

As she finally stood on her feet, Bai Yu Yan turned around without giving him a second glance. While she went to sit beside Madame Lu, no one noticed the slight smirk on her face which she quickly hid with the apologetic expression. 

 

36