The Hidden Warning
2.4k 1 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bai Yu Yan was in the middle of her deep contemplation when there was a sudden noise from outside. 

“Why is it so noisy? What is happening outside?”, looking at Xiao Fan scurrying from outside, Bai Yu Yan asked.

“Miss, we have a guest, ah”, Xiao Fan’s eyes were sparkling as she spoke. “Lin Momo has come from the Plum Garden.” This is the first time ever since coming to the Autumn courtyard that they were having a guest over. No matter who it was, Xiao Fan was very excited.

Bai Yu Yan was surprised to hear the arrival of an unexpected guest. She quickly ordered a nearby servant, “Hurry and bring her to the receiving room.” She couldn’t be sloppy in front of this guest. After all, Lin Momo was her mother-in-law’s closest servant.

Xiao Fan swiftly made Yu Yan’s hair into a low bun with some hair scattered around her facial frame before leaving to prepare tea and snacks. Even if she was silly sometimes, she wasn’t stupid to the point of relying on the servants of the Autumn courtyard. 

After making sure that she was looking presentable, Bai Yu Yan made her way to the receiving room. All through the way, she thought of the reason for Lin Momo’s visit. Only today she had been to the Plum Garden and met Madame Lu. She couldn’t have made any mistake for her mother-in-law to send someone to discipline her, ah?

In the receiving room, Lin Momo was drinking tea made by Xiao Fan. Gui Momo and a few other servants were standing nearby while Gui Momo was trying to make some conversation. 

“Momo, you came all the way here. Is everything fine in the Plum Garden?”, Bai Yu Yan took her seat before taking the tea served by Xiao Fan. She had already changed out of the green dress from the afternoon and was wearing a long white dress with a light blue belt. She looked simple but refined.

Lin Momo took in Yu Yan’s appearance as she walked inside. The more she looked at her, the more appealing she appeared. Remembering her purpose of visit, she quickly stood up, “Madame Lu, everything is well. Today I came here to deliver something from Old Madame Lu.” She beckoned the standing servant who was holding a package in her hand. 

Xiao Fan took the package from Lin Momo and handed it to Yu Yan.

Bai Yu Yan let out a sigh of relief hearing Lin Momo was here to deliver a package. “Mother sent this to me? Does Momo know what is inside?”, looking at the wrapped package, she wondered what her mother-in-law sent.

“Madame Lu, Old Madame wanted you to make dresses for the spring. So she sent you some fabric from the new batch.” Lin Momo answered Bai Yu Yan before she observed the servants. Sure enough, their expression changed when they saw the package wrapper. After all, it was the wrapper used only by the imperial family. 

The family of the Prime Minister was highly valued by the emperor. The treatment he received was no less than any prince. Every season, the palace sent two sets of fabric to Lu Tong Xiao. Now that Bai Yu Yan has been married to him, she also received her share as his wife.

With the excuse of delivering the fabric, Lin Momo also wanted to warn the servants of the Autumn courtyard. Although the marriage between Lu Tong Xiao and Bai Yu Yan was not of an equal match, she is still the daughter-in-law of the Lu family. They should give her the due respect of Madame Lu.

Even though Bai Yu Yan had read that the palace sends cloth to the Lu manor, she did not know that the one she was holding was one of them. The little unimportant details of the novel and the things she had not seen in pictures were difficult to recognize or even remember by reading it just once. 

“Madame, this was sent from the palace this morning. Master also came just today, so Old Madame forgot to give it to you earlier.” Looking at Bai Yu Yan smiling softly, Lin Momo added they were from the palace to see her reaction. 

When she heard they were from the palace, Bai Yu Yan was pleasantly surprised. Although she still appeared calm on the outside, in reality, she immediately wanted to tear the wrapper and look inside. But she knew that everyone was looking at her so she maintained her composure. 

Lin Momo, who was waiting to see any change in her facial expression did not get what she was expecting and was impressed with Madame Lu. There was no way she wouldn’t report this to Old Madame. 

After sending Lin Momo back, Bai Yu Yan immediately rushed inside her room. Of course, she didn’t care for the wrapper while tearing it off. Inside laid two sets of fabric with intricate patterns. One was peach pink while the other was pure black. 

Bai Yu Yan was overcome with joy seeing the beautiful fabric. No wonder they were sent from the palace. The peach one was adorned with delicate patterns of veins with little space in between while the black one was plain without any pattern but as she lightly rubbed it between her fingers, it gave a mild cool touch. Bai Yu Yan was a designer and had knowledge about many fabrics so she could tell that the one she was holding was not an ordinary one. Although black clothes would absorb heat and are difficult to wear in the high temperature, this one does not seem to be so. Her hands were already itching to create a masterpiece out of them.   

36