Stunning in Black
2.3k 4 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The royal blue carriage heading towards the palace was shaking in a slow-paced rhythm. Inside, Bai Yu Yan was trying hard to concentrate on the scenery outside. The frequent glances that the man sitting opposite shot in her direction from the corner of his eyes was making her feel like she was sitting on pins and needles. She couldn’t ignore it anymore. 

Is he thinking about how I haven’t returned his coat back? Sigh, what a petty man!

Earlier, she had totally forgotten that she’d have to travel in the same carriage as this man. Had she known about it, she would have definitely brought his coat along, ah. 

Sitting on the opposite side, Lu Tong Xiao sneaked a peek at his wife but quickly turned to face the window. After a minute, he again took another glance, and hurriedly averted his gaze. 

The woman was wearing a black dress, so dark that it was the color of the night. The border of the skirt was a golden color, shining like glitters. In the flair of the skirt, huge but few flowers were embroidered with golden thread, making them distinct and bold. The upper part of the body was wrapped in plain lustrous black silk, ending right above her chest, making a graceful curve. Above it, black net covered the upper part of her chest, a golden neckline circling the base of her swan neck. The color of her dress was a stark contrast to her milky white skin. Her face was adorned with minimal makeup, a blood-red lipstick painted on her lips and her hair rolled up to a loose flower bun, a few tendrils falling down her ears and neck. She looked absolutely stunning. A devilish beauty, like a queen of the dark night. 

The knot in Lu Tong Xiao’s throat bobbed up and down. He cleared his throat and grabbed a teacup to take a big mouthful of tea, trying to ease the uncomfortable thirst. 

“How is your shop doing? I heard you made Consort Shu’s dress?”, he casually asked to break the silence. 

Bai Yu Yan lowered the hand holding her chin on the windowsill. “Your Excellency, it’s starting out well. We were lucky to get the order of Consort Shu’s dress.” 

Lu Tong Xiao nodded his head. He put down the teacup and brought up the question he had forgotten to ask before. “Do you have the money needed for your business?” He had heard that his mother told her to manage the cash by herself. 

Bai Yu Yan remembered the cost of making three dresses and silently cried in her heart. Thankfully, Consort Shu’s payment acted like a cool balm. 

“This wife has some cash on her. It can be managed with it for now.”, Bai Yu Yan smiled lightly as she replied. 

However, hearing her answer, Lu Tong Xiao frowned. Bai Yu Yan’s situation in the Bai house was not unknown to him. They would definitely not give her any cash in dowry. Furthermore, the financial situation of the shop was bleak looking. If she was in need of money, why not ask him? As his wife, she was his responsibility after all. He didn’t understand why she acted like a stranger with him. 

“Bai Yu Yan, if you are in need of cash, just let this lord know. This lord does not lack money. So, you don’t have to hesitate.“, Lu Tong Xiao’s low voice rang in the carriage. 

This was the first time Bai Yu Yan had heard him call her name. She looked up at him in a mix of surprise and confusion. She didn’t understand what ticked his mood suddenly. Did he think she didn’t know he was rolling in money and wanted to flaunt in front of the poor-her? 

She was thinking about giving him a good reply when the carriage stopped. 

“Master, we’ve arrived.”, Xuyi’s voice came from outside. 

Bai Yu Yan decided to not be petty like him and patted her skirt to get up. After Lu Tong Xiao had gone down, she prepared to follow him down the carriage. When she extended her hand to hold the frame of the door, a fair hand suddenly caught it. She looked at the long fingers supporting her hands and back at its owner. The calloused but warm fingers were a bit rough against her palm. She got down the carriage and softly thanked him. 

Even though the dusk had already turned into a dark night, the lanterns hung at the walls of the palace lit the whole street. As soon as the royal blue carriage stopped, everyone's eyes were instantly drawn to it. The color of the carriage gave away its owner. Only the Prime Minister could use the royal blue color. Although the emperor allowed the Prime Minister to use the red in their carriage like the imperial family, Lu Tong Xiao used his own color. Instead of getting offended, the emperor had laughed hearing it as if he had already expected that. He was aware that Lu Tong Xiao didn’t care to show his relation to the imperial family. 

Everyone was waiting to see Bai Yu Yan and if possible, mock her behind Lu Tong Xiao’s back. The noble girls who had dreamt of becoming the Prime Minister’s wife and the men who envied him were all waiting for a good show. 

A delicate hand came out of the carriage which was held by Lu Tong Xiao. Following it, a woman came down in a black dress. The golden flowers in her skirt sparkled with her every move. The dress didn’t have many patterns except for those few flowers but no one thought it could be any more beautiful. Her skin was covered to the neck with a black net cloth, not exposing much of her skin, unexpectedly she looked sexy in the black. Everyone’s breath was taken away by this stunning sight. 

Suddenly, their sight was blocked by the tall handsome man. His dark eyes looking at those staring at her.  

36