Eavesdropping
2.1k 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside a room of a tavern, Xin Li Ling and Bai Yu Yan sat on the floor by the window. Between them, there was a low table filled with different delicacies and a jar of light wine. Bai Yu Yan’s chopstick moved at a rapid speed and so did her mouth while Xin Li Ling could only look at her as she slowly nibbled on her food.

“Tsk, if one sees this, one doesn’t know who is treating whom for lunch.” Biting on her chopstick, Xin Li Ling shook her head.

Bai Yu Yan raised her head to look at the person who had self-invited herself for this lunch and still had the cheek to complain that she was eating a lot. Not minding her, she lowered her head to continue eating.

“Yu Yan, I think I have drunk a lot of water. I want to go to the washroom.” Li Ling wiped her oily mouth and spoke.

The princess’s maids were eating downstairs with Xiao Fan and the others. Bai Yu Yan didn’t mind eating with them but considering they had a princess accompanying them, she booked a VIP room. However, Manager Gao suggested that they’d eat downstairs. She understood that they wanted to have their own fun without being restrained by their master’s presence and let them be. So right now, only the two of them were inside the room.

Bai Yu Yan couldn’t let Li Ling go to the washroom alone so put down her chopstick and followed her outside.

There was a long corridor with rows of rooms and a narrow turn led to the washroom. Since she didn’t have the urge to go inside, she stood outside the washroom hitting the floor with her heels. The rooms of the tavern were expensive as they were specifically built for the nobles who could afford them. So it was carefully built with all the necessary facilities. There was a separate washroom on the upper floor where the rooms were located. Bai Yu Yan was leaning against the wall and looking around when the door to a nearby room suddenly opened. She turned her head and her eyes caught someone familiar sitting inside. Like usual, he was donned in a pure white robe and sat with a straight back. Fan Li Wei’s long fingers gripped the teacup as he elegantly drank from it. Beside him, there were few other people who she did not recognize.

In the novel, Fan Li Wei was an insignificant character. The unambitious prince of Fan who was conveniently treated as a chess piece by everyone in the Fan royal family. There was not much mentioned about him but there was one thing that particularly shook her heart. He was poisoned from birth and from none other than his own mother. His mother, the consort of his Emperor father, did everything in order to receive the emperor’s favor even going as far as poisoning her own son just to gain the emperor’s sympathy. In the end, when the poison took over his organs and his health deteriorated, he was no longer useful to his so-called family. At that time, the crown prince, who had always appeared as a loving brother, stepped on the only antidote that Fan Li Wei had risked his life to obtain and left him to die.

Bai Yu Yan’s eyes trailed back to the closed door. She knew what the antidote was and from where Fan Li Wei had gotten it. Thinking about how horribly this man had died, she immediately wanted to tell him about the antidote so that even if he couldn’t defeat his brothers in the palace, he can at least keep his life. But it was not so easy as he might find her suspicious if she barged in and started blabbering about the antidote. In fact, no one outside the royal family of Fan knew about his poisoning. She bit her lips in hesitation and glanced towards the washroom where Xin Li Ling had gone. Seeing that she had still not come out, Bai Yu Yan thought for a brief moment before making her mind and tip-toeing towards the room where the door was closed not long ago.

“Master, it seems the Xin kingdom will agree to our treaty.” Closing the door, Wei Min, the handservant and personal bodyguard of Fan Li Wei, bowed before speaking.

“They will, I am not worried about that. My only concern is Prime Minister Lu. He won’t let go of this chance without securing gain for the Xin kingdom.”

Wei Min’s brows creased in worry, “How can they do that? Isn’t the trade route supposed to bring benefit to both the kingdoms? Also, we’ve already promised to build the canal from the Bei river.”

Fan Li Wei casually propped his chin on his knuckle. His other hand played with the teacup lying on the table, “When I brought the offer, I had already thought he wouldn’t be satisfied with only the mentioned conditions. Prime Minister Lu is well aware that this trade route is more important to us than them, so how could he let go of this chance? Now, I only hope that their request won’t be excessive.”

Following his words, silence ensued in the room. The guards standing on the side clenched their hands. Their lives were basically provided by Fan Li Wei and living with him, they knew how hard their Master worked. His worry for the people of Fan went even beyond that of the emperor. And if this agreement does not take place, Fan Li Wei wouldn’t have a chance to openly show his power in the Fan kingdom and will have to live in the shadows while hiding his abilities.

“Is there any movement from the Crown Prince’s side?” Fan Li Wei broke the heavy silence and changed the topic. He didn’t want to unnecessarily brood over the matter of treaty. He believed Prime Minister Lu was wise enough to think this treaty is good for his people.

Wei Min immediately replied, “Not yet. It seems they have not realized who caused it. They are still suspicious about the seventh prince and are guarding against him.”

As he listened to him, a complex emotion briefly flashed through Fan Li Wei’s eyes and was slowly replaced with a small smile.

“Keep on looking at-” Before Fan Li Wei could finish his words, his calm eyes suddenly turned cold as it sharply turned towards the closed door.

Outside the door, Bai Yu Yan was stuck to the door as she strained her ears to hear the voices inside. She wanted to know Fan Li Wei’s next action so that she could warn him in advance if he was going towards his death route. But the only word she heard was a treaty. She mentally scolded the grown-up men for talking so softly like the noble ladies. Frustrated, she closed her eyes to listen carefully.

Xin Li Ling who had just come out of the washroom saw Bai Yu Yan in this state. She tilted her head in confusion. Why was she acting like a thief? Curiosity got the better of her. Lifting her skirt, she slowly sneaked to stand behind Yu Yan. Imitating Bai Yu Yan, she had only leaned her body to the door and was preparing to press her ear on it when the door suddenly opened from inside. 

24