The Reason
1.9k 4 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even if Lu Tong Xiao said the injury wasn’t as grave as it seemed, Bai Yu Yan knew it was in no way a light one. And since he wouldn’t tell her what caused it, she had to rely on the physician to examine it and let her know about it.

Bai Yu Yan was not surprised to hear that the wound was caused by a knife. Fortunately, the knife had not gone too deep or the situation would have been worse. But what secretly infuriated her was the fact that he was injured two hours ago and had it been treated earlier, it wouldn’t have been this serious.

The physician was trembling while answering her about the severity of the injury. Perplexed, Bai Yu Yan looked at the man lying on bed glaring at the physician and scaring the poor man. Mentally rolling her eyes, she stood in front of the bed and blocked his view and let the physician continue answering her questions.

After the physician bandaged the wound and left, Lu Tong Xiao pushed himself to get off the bed. Seeing this, Bai Yu Yan hurriedly prevented him from doing so by pushing him down, “What are you doing?”

“We haven’t finished our dinner yet,” he seriously replied.

Bai Yu Yan looked at the man who still had the nerve to talk about dinner. How could she still have the mood to eat? Her hunger flew out the window the moment she saw his injury. Taking the bowl of warm medicine from Xiao Fan, she walked to her own bed where he was lying.

“Why, are you still hungry?” she asked.

“Are you not? You haven’t eaten much,” he answered with a question.

Remembering being caught staring instead of eating, Bai Yu Yan averted her gaze and cleared her throat before saying, “Drink this first. I’ll have something later.”

At the sight of the medicine, his scrunched up brows clearly expressed that he didn’t want to drink the dark liquid which screamed bitter just from its appearance. But as she was standing right there staring at him, he had no choice but to obediently drink it in one big gulp.

“You’ve just had the medicine so rest for a while. If you want to eat something then I’ll ask the servants to warm the food after you wake up.”

After taking the medicine, Lu Tong Xiao finally fell asleep under its effects. Since there was no way he could go to his courtyard in his state and Bai Yu Yan didn’t say otherwise, he slept in her chamber.

Careful not to wake him up, Bai Yu Yan lightly closed the door and went outside. She knew Xuyi would be waiting outside since he couldn’t come inside her chamber. Unlike Xiao Fan who is her personal maid and a female at that, no male servants could come inside her sleeping chamber even if he was Lu Tong Xiao’s personal guard. Outside, Xuyi was pacing back and forth while fidgeting nervously. At the side, Xiao Fan was holding her head and telling him to stop moving.

“Madame, how is Master?” seeing Bai Yu Yan come outside, he immediately stopped and asked.

“Much better now. He is sleeping inside.”

Xuyi was relieved to hear that. Seeing this, Xiao Fan scoffed, “I had already told you ten times that Master is fine but you wouldn’t take my words seriously.”

“Xiao Fan, take the dishes out.” Bai Yu Yan beckoned her to go inside.

When they were alone Bai Yu Yan looked at Xuyi and solemnly said, “There is something I want to ask you. I hope you can answer me truthfully.”

He knew what she wanted to ask. The matters of Lu Tong Xiao are strictly confidential and as his trusted guard, Xuyi could not talk about it to others.

“You know that your Master is sleeping in my bed, right?” she narrowed her eyes at him. If simply asking wouldn’t work then she didn’t mind using threat.

Xuyi was stunned and raised his head. He didn’t expect her to say something like that. Although he knew she wouldn’t harm his Master, Xuyi had seen that his Master truly likes Madame Lu, and considering how she was taking care of him, he finally nodded his head.

Bai Yu Yan wouldn’t have been surprised if he had laughed at her threat but seeing that he agreed, she asked, “What happened to him? How did he get the injury?”

Lu Tong Xiao is the most revered man in the whole nation. He was personally trained by the previous General. And seeing his potential in sword fighting and martial arts, the Old General had recommended him as the next General instead of his own son. But neither the Old Prime Minister approved of him going to wars where his life would be hanging by a thread nor the emperor who had seen his power in managing the court, ministers, and the national matters.

To think that such a man would be injured by a knife, Bai Yu Yan wondered who had the courage to do it and how Lu Tong Xiao couldn’t dodge it. She thought either the attacker was really bold or utterly stupid.

Xuyi thought about whether his Master would shred him into pieces if he told her the real reason. After witnessing his Master’s behavior that day, he decided to help him since Lu Tong Xiao, with a poker face, would have a difficult time pursuing Madame Lu. So making up his mind, after a moment, he answered, “Madame, Master did not know that your shop’s opening is today. Only later when he found out about it, he wanted to give you something as a gift so we went to an old jewelry shop on the outskirts of the capital that not many people know about. While returning back, we unexpectedly discovered an unusual group’s hideout and were attacked. The group had a large number of people with very strong martial arts who were attacking us all at the same time. So we had no choice but to escape from there. But while doing so, the thing that Master purchased for Madame fell down. Instead of leaving it and fleeing, Master went back for it and was sneak attacked by one of them from the back.”

After he finished speaking, he raised his head to look at Bai Yu Yan who seemed to have gone to a deep thinking mode. He didn’t know what his Master would do to him after knowing he told this to her but imagining how good his Master’s mood would be and consequently Xuyi’s own life, he bit the bullet and told her about it all. Now he dearly wished that Madame and Master would hurry and spread pink air so that he could enjoy the days of peace. 

31