Wielding Power
1.8k 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was foggy everywhere the eyes could see. Just the sight of it alone could make one feel cold. No matter how much she tried to look past it, it was just impossible. Finally, after a long moment of futile tries, it slowly began to thin out and spread away giving her a vague view of the green grass. She narrowed her eyes and peered past the thin film of fog when the sight of the back of a crouching man came into view. Although the man had a strong muscular body, his back was tiredly hunched and his head lowered. Curious, she walked ahead and tried to see what he was looking at when she saw a cold tombstone standing before the man. Surprisingly, the name engraved on the stone tablet was very familiar to her. Because it was her own name and the man who was kneeling was none other than Lu Tong Xiao.

The next day, Bai Yu Yan woke up late in the morning because of the delayed sleep the previous night. It was probably the first time she had dreamed after coming to that world but as soon as she regained consciousness, she totally forgot what she dreamt of like someone had wiped it from her mind.

Sprawling flat on the bed, she looked up at the ceiling as her mind replayed what happened last night. Although it was just a kiss, her cheeks heated up at the thought of how it went. Even if the soul in her body was already in her mid-twenties, having all her focus on her career, she had been single all her life in modern time. So, it was the first real kiss for not only Lu Tong Xiao but also for her.

Bai Yu Yan patted her cheek as she tried not to think much about it and got up from the bed. Fortunately, the space beside her was already cold as Lu Tong Xiao had left in the early morning for the morning court. She secretly sighed in relief for if he had been around, she wouldn't know how to act with him.

As soon as Xiao Fan saw her wake up, she brought in warm water for Bai Yu Yan to wash up. Although it was early summer, Bai Yu Yan considered warm water was good for skin as taught by her grandma. And since the previous owner of the body meticulously cared for her skin and hair, it was even more smooth and soft.

“Miss, breakfast has already been prepared. Do you want to eat it now?”

Bai Yu Yan rubbed her flat stomach which was actually starving. She hadn’t eaten properly since the dinner last night so she nodded her head to Xiao Fan.

Since Bai Yu Yan didn’t need her help to wash up, Xiao turned to run towards the kitchen when she saw a smiling Fan Lu come inside with a large tray of food and set up the table for breakfast.

Seeing this, Xiao Fan scrunched up her forehead in displeasure. Although Bai Yu Yan had agreed to Fan Lu working in the inner chamber, Xiao Fan didn’t like that Fan Lu was taking her job in serving her Miss. Still, she didn’t say anything and helped her in serving breakfast.

It was the first time since arriving there that Bai Yu Yan saw such sumptuous breakfast. Various dishes were laid out in front of her, all piping hot and wafting a delightful smell. She raised her brow in mild surprise. Normally, she would have three dishes and soup but right now, there were seven to eight dishes in front of her and two different soups. Moreover, almost all of it was of her preference.

Xiao Fan stood at the side and grinned in glee. “Miss, do you know who ordered today’s breakfast?”

Bai Yu Yan could make a guess from Xiao Fan’s excited face, still, she pretended like she was unaware and took a sip of the warm soup before asking, “Who is it?”

“It's His Excellency! He even knows what Miss likes to eat and had the kitchen to prepare it.”

At first, Bai Yu Yan thought he had asked Xiao Fan what she likes to eat and ordered the kitchen to make the same. So when she heard that he knew about it, she was slightly surprised. He had probably deduced her taste “He didn’t have his breakfast?”

“It seemed like he was running late for the morning court so he went without eating,” Xiao Fan replied.

Bai Yu Yan nodded her head in understanding. She didn’t say anything more and quietly finished the breakfast. She didn’t know if it was because Lu Tong Xiao ordered them to make it but the food tasted really good and she could see that servants had put in real effort.

“Xiao Fan, how long has it been since we came here?” Bai Yu Yan dabbed her lips with the wet towel and nonchalantly asked.

“3 months? Why are you asking, Miss?” Xiao Fan curiously looked at Bai Yu Yan.

As she had already finished breakfast, Bai Yu Yan stood up to let them clean the table.

Bai Yu Yan looked at Fan Lu who was picking up the dishes on the table and casually said, “Fan Lu, go and tell the servants of our courtyard that for the last three months, they will receive only half of their total salary.”

The plate on Fan Lu’s hands collided and made a clinking sound. Fortunately, it didn’t break as she hurriedly balanced it. She bowed her head and apologized before going out of the room.

“It’s good that you didn’t let the plates fall. Otherwise, with how expensive these china ceramics are, I am afraid you would have to work for years to pay for it.” Before Fan Lu went out, she heard Bai Yu Yan add, “Convey my message to all the servants that until and unless they properly do what’s required of them, they should forget about receiving the full salary. Also, inform the kitchen servants that the breakfast was to my liking. I’ll reward them later.”

After Fan Lu had gone out, Xiao Fan looked at Bai Yu Yan in astonishment. “Miss, you should have done this when we had just arrived.”

Since she didn’t make frequent trips to the ancient time she hadn’t understood her own situation or knew what was regarded as a standard for her as the Prime Minister’s official wife. But now that Lu Tong Xiao had unintentionally shown it to her, she had no reason to hold back and accept any less than what she could receive. Moreover, at this time, where the husband’s favor was the greatest backing for a woman, she couldn’t throw orders around unless her words really carried weight. Else, she would only be making a fool out of herself. And now that Lu Tong Xiao had personally wielded that power to her, she had no reason to not use it and tolerate the half-assed service of those servants that she had been unknowingly tolerating all this time.

“Oh, I forgot to tell Miss. This morning, there was a messenger from the Bai manor. He said that Madame and Master Bai have invited you and His Excellency to the Bai manor. Since you couldn’t go after the marriage, Master Bai said that Second Miss and Madame Bai really miss you so you should visit Bai manor.” Xiao Fan relayed the message word by word.

Bai Yu Yan wanted to roll her eyes hearing her dear mother and sister miss her. But there really was a ritual where the married women go back to their maiden house with their husband on the third day of their marriage. The previous Bai Yu Yan couldn’t perform the ritual since Lu Tong Xiao had gone to the Jin kingdom at that time. Although she could have gone alone, she knew that she would get nothing but humiliation if she had gone there alone without Lu Tong Xiao. So, she didn’t go back at all.

She didn’t mind going there if the people had a good relationship with Bai Yu Yan but she knew that nothing good would come out of going to the Bai manor. Moreover, she was sure that Lu Tong Xiao wouldn’t want to go there.

“Tell them that His Excellency is very busy so we cannot go there right now,” Anyway, she couldn’t directly refuse them so Lu Tong Xiao would make a perfect excuse.

Bai Yu Yan sat in front of the mirror to groom for the day when she heard Xiao Fan say, “But Miss, His Excellency has already told the messenger that he will come along with you.”

Hearing it, Bai Yu Yan’s brows quirked in surprise. To say that she was getting a lot of surprises that morning, it wouldn’t be a lie. With her hand hanging at the back of the chair, she turned her head, “He said that?”

Xiao Fan nodded her head in confirmation. In fact, when Xiao Fan wanted to wake Bai Yu Yan and ask about it, His Excellency had stopped her and personally replied to the messenger before leaving for the morning court.

Bai Yu Yan didn’t know whether to laugh or cry about the situation. Although he didn’t want to, Lu Tong Xiao had probably agreed to it for her sake but she really didn’t want to go there. Left with no choice, she told Xiao Fan to make the necessary preparations for the trip to the Bai manor before preparing herself for the day.  

23