Chapter 19: Winchester the Convicts
50 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hahahahahaahaaahahaha!” 

That was Jessica’s reaction as she watched the Winchesters walk of the police station. A few bystanders looked at her strangely, not that she gave a damn. 

Last night, after she came back from Lori’s place, she decided to give the Winchesters a call and see what they were up to. Well, guess what? Sam’s phone was answered by a police officer, who said the Winchesters were arrested. Apparently, they were carrying shotguns filled with rock salt rounds in the wild and ran into a few police officers. 

Yep...real professional hunters. For some reason the Winchesters never did well with authority figures on their hunting trips. Hmmm...maybe Sam and Dean just looked like criminals? Either way, Jessica never had such issues. Talk about sexism!

Dean was saying something to Sam. Seeing the blonde woman, he closed his mouth and walked right by her. Sam sighed.  

”What’s so funny, Jess?”

“Nothing. It’s just...hahahahahahaha!” Jessica did her best. Sorry, but I really tried! I swear...honestly though, do the Winchesters ever accomplish anything? Huh? How did they even manage before she came along? “I'm just really impressed by how professional you two are. Just...top notch.”

Sam was about to let out a matching smile when he suddenly froze. A thought went through his head. No matter how his Jessica looked like the one he loved, she wasn’t her. She was a replacement. A poorly crafted trickery designed to fool him and his brother into leading her to their dad. 

He forced out a small grin as the three returned to the Black Impala. Dean tossed his arms up when Jessica forced her way into the back. 

“Very funny, Jess.” 

“So, convicts.” Jessica crossed her legs in the back seats and looked at the two boys in the front. “Mind telling me why the hell you were out there with shotguns?”

“Well, we found…”

“We didn't find anything.” Dean cut his brother off before sending a warning glare his way. This was his case. His case! He wasn’t going to let a monster do his job for him!

“Well,” Jessica glanced at the two Winchesters before shrugging. “whatever you find, or didn't fight, it doesn’t matter anymore.”

“And how do you know that?”

“Because I found what this Hookman really is. He’s a violent spirit attached to the cross trinket on that Lori girl’s neck. He was feeding off her negative emotions. I burned the trinket and took care of that thing.” 

Boom! Take that, Winchesters! Now who’s the one smiling? What? Still me? I was always the only one smiling? Oh... 

“Trinket? What trinket?” Dean frowned. 

“Do I need to get a dictionary?” 

“Uh…it’s a cross on Lori’s neck. Some sort of church heirloom.” Sam tapped his chin. “it’s possible that spirits are attached to objects of significant value to them when they were alive, but...maybe that priest carried the trinket before when he was alive? That may be why the spirit is residing there.”

“Well, I don’t know and I don’t care. The case is closed.” Jessica tossed her arms up. “So, anyone’s got a new case to go to? I know a great local restaurant to take a break in and go through the newspapers.”

But Dean wasn’t quite satisfied. 

“Some sort of spirit just happens to be residing on a piece of metal heirloom? I’m not buying it.” He glanced at Jessica. Something told him she couldn’t be trusted. “We’ll go check out his grave and burn his bones. That’s the only way we can be sure.” 

He turned and got off the car without another word. 

“The level of trust you’re showing is awesome!” Jessica called out after him. 

“Well, you can never be too safe.” Sam added quietly before turning and stepping out of the Black Impala as well. 

Now that she was left alone, Jessica didn't move. 

3..2...1... 

Dean opened the car door again. There was an obvious look of annoyance on his face. 

“This is my car! You get out!”

“Gladly….hahahahahah!” 

Jessica was laughing her face off as she got off Dean’s precious Black Impala. 

The boys are probably gonna take a while on their boring research trip. So...who wants some pancake?


“Wait…let’s get this straight. So we burned the bones and nothing happened. And then we had to go through a whole list of church records to realize the priest's metal hook hand was recrafted into a church cross that has been going from church to church, each time possessing someone. When all of the attacks happened, the cross was possessed by Lori. That means...” 

Dean trailed off. 

“Jessica has been right all along.” Sam continued. “We were wasting our time here. She took care of the spirit already. But, why?” 

Yes. He has heard of monsters going after other monsters, but most monsters would settle with hunting human beings. Why in the world would something as powerful as this Jessica go around taking out things that were killing human? This...this just wasn’t making any sense. 

If she simply wanted to latch on them to find John Winchester, taking her time and pretending to be weaker than she truly was could make the Winchesters significantly underestimate her. That would be an advantage, right?

Instead, she was marching around and stomping over monsters like she was a child in an amusement park. 

“I don’t know.” Dean brought the car to a stop in front of the sorority house. “But I hope Lori can give us some answers.”

“You think she knows something about Jess?”

“I think she might have seen something when Jess dealt with the spirit. I want to know what it is.” Dean held his teeth tight. The last days traveling with Jessica hasn’t been fun for him. Since he was a kid, he was taught that if you see a monster, you kill it. Now, with something like Jessica that he couldn’t kill and couldn’t even evade...it just made him want to punch something. 

And aside from that, he couldn’t even do his job and kill some monsters? What’s wrong with this world? 

The two walked up to the door. Sam was about to go up and knock when Dean stopped him. 

“Since your girlfriend’s in town, I’ll take on the burden of talking to college girls. Thank you very much.” He joked, trying to lighten the mood after all this mess. “We don’t want Jessica to get jealous, do we? Time to work my charm!”

Sam growled, but he backed down nonetheless. 

A girl walked up and answered the door. She obviously rose her eyebrows when she saw the two guys here. Dean put on his best good-person smile. 

“Hi. Can we talk to Lori?” 

The girl looked at the Winchesters suspiciously before turning and walking into the sorority house. After a few minutes, she walked out alone. 

“She said she doesn’t want to talk to you.” 

“We have urgent business.” Dean stepped up impatiently before Sam could even answer. 

“Look, dude. She said what she said.” The girl didn't budge. “Lori has been through a lot. She needs some time by herself.”

What is wrong with...ahhh. Never mind! Dean felt his patience stretched thin. “Look, this is very important…” He took a step forward, and then… “is that a taser?”

“Yep, and I’m not afraid to use it!” The girl replied fiercely. “Stay back, creep!”

Creep? Have you seen a creep as handsome as me...you know what? Never mind! Dean took a step back. This was a bad idea. 

If it wasn’t for the seriousness of the situation, Sam would’ve burst out laughing, but as for now, he had graver things to handle. 

“Please, just go and tell her it’s about her necklace. She’ll understand.”

The girl looked at Sam once again. Maybe it was his cute puppy-eyes at work, but she finally nodded, not before pointing at Dean. “Just keep your friend there in check.” 

As the girl walked into the sorority house once again, Dean turned back to Sam. “Is there something on my face?” Or do I just look like a bad person? 

Sam shrugged. “That’s why I’m usually the one talking to girls.”

“Yeah, right!” 

The door opened again. This time, the first girl returned with a familiar brunette. Lori. 

“If you need anything, Lori, just give us a call.” She glanced at Dean. “This one gives me the creeps.” 

Me? Dean’s jaw dropped. What is wrong with you? Would it kill you to stop taking jabs at me? 

The three found a bench not far away from the sorority house before Sam started asking the questions. 

“Lori, that girl that was with us, Jessica. She visited you last night, right?”

Lori suddenly froze at Sam’s question. Fear covered her face no matter how much she tried to hide it. The Winchesters exchanged a glance. 

“Hmmm...I thought you two were with her…” Lori’s voice trailed off. “I...I don’t…” She gulped. “I’m sorry, I can’t…”

“Look, Lori.” Sam knew he was onto something. “We are not with her. She...it’s complicated. We just need you to tell us what she did.” 

“Well…” Lori bit her lips. “basically, last night, she was in my dorm room. Just like that. She said there was a violent spirit trapped in my necklace. And then...and then this thing just came out and attacked her.”

“The Hookman attacked Jessica?” Dean frowned. “And then?” 

His urgency only made Lori freeze. Sam through a “seriously” glance at his brother before reassuring the girl. “Relax, Lori. It’s ok. Jessica is not here right now. Just tell us what happened.”

Lori took a deep breath. 

“She had some sort of red energy. Some sort of superpower, and she just froze the Hookman in...in some sort of prison.” 

Red energy? Prison? What was she talking about? The Winchesters quickly realized this wasn’t like anything he has seen before. This was somewhat expected, but it was troublesome nonetheless. 

“And then?” 

“And then she payed me $300.” 

Wait. What? 

“I’m...I’m sorry. She...Jessica paid you?” Sam was almost coughing from the whiplash. “Shouldn’t you be paying her? You’re the customer!”

“Yeah, but she said how I’m a grown woman and I should have my own money, so…”

What is wrong with the tone of this freaking story? The Winchesters were rubbing their foreheads. Their brains hurt. “Ok. Anything else? What did she do to the necklace?”

That question had Lori silent. The girl looked at the Winchesters before giving a quiet answer. “She...she destroyed it.” 

“Destroyed it? How?”

“Hmmm...she just smacked it against the wall and broke it into pieces.” 

Lori had to make things up. Jessica didn't destroy the cross and kill the Hookman. She took the cross away and imprisoned the Hookman in it. But she also remembered Jessica’s warning. If she confessed, she was sure bad things would happen to her.

She remembered the chills she felt when Jessica handed out the threat. There was no doubt to it. If she talked, Jessica would end her. Disobeying the orders of a superhuman capable of slaying spirits was never a wise choice. 

“She smashed it?” Dean glanced at Sam. Fair enough, right? The trinket was destroyed. The Hookman was dead. Cool. All good. Time to go home and enjoy life, right? The pancake here had quite a reputation…

No! Hell no!

If Lori said Jessica burned the trinket, fine. Even if she said Jessica used that strange power of hers to destroy it, the Winchesters might also believe it. But throw it against a wall and cracking it? What the hell? That’s not how you take down spirits! And only destroying the trinket completely could seal the deal! What did Lori mean broken into pieces?

And Jessica said she burned the trinket...

Both Lori and Jessica were lying, but...why? 

Sam’s mind turned. He needed to find a way for Lori to tell the truth. She obviously knew something. If he could go soft on Lori and slowly get her trust...Lori has seen some supernatural stuff. Perhaps Sam could tell Lori what was really going on with Jessica and convince her, nicely, to tell him what happened...

“No she didn't. She didn't destroy the trinket.” Dean suddenly raised his voice. He slowly stood up, radiating intimidation. “You are lying! Why? What did Jessica do with it?”  

Dean seemed furious, and he had the reasons to be. But Lori suddenly turned pale. “You two should leave.” She demanded loudly. No way she was putting her life at risk. 

“Dean…” Sam tried to de-escalate the situation. 

“Lori, we’re not leaving until you tell us the truth.” Dean didn't falter. “What happened that night...ahhhhh!”

The older Winchester suddenly started shaking. Sam watched as the girl at the door stood behind Dean with a taser in her hand. 

“You should’ve backed down when she told you, creep!” 

Dean twitched uncontrollably on the ground. 

0