Chapter 15
105 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[You've obtained the trait, Child of Literature.]

[Child of Literature - You are a blessing to the world of literature. Having accomplished a feat that many would find impossible, you've gained their respect. All written works produced by you will be the hot topic among literary folk for a week after being publicized.]

It was done. Finally he finished transferring his work from paper to digital format and publishing it online. It took him a while because he was messing around with a cover along with his father. Besides getting sidetracked from that he also had to attend school.

It was a bit unfair that the description of his quest did not mention anything about publicizing his work. If he waited a while to even think about it then who knew how long it would actually take to finish. Maybe even the trait he gained would have changed into something else. Now that he took a closer look at it, the trait was different from the others he received.

During his short life he managed to acquire a plethora of traits, but all of them had a set limit of how long they were active for. All of them also stated they increased one of his attributes, which he still did not fully understand. The system was strange, and he sometimes forgot about it.

This new trait of his seemed to be permanent, but was that truly the case? How would anyone even know he publicized something when he was just an unknown author? How did the system work? His questions were endless but he knew he would not receive a reply. This was a one-way exchange and he was fine with that. For now.

[Future Career Path - 2]

[Novelist]

[Song writer]

[Script writer]

[Play writer]

[Poet]

[Journalist]

[Freelance Writer]

...

This was an easy choice considering Conan planned on walking down the same path. Or, it should have been until he hesitated and studied the choices given. Did he need a boost to his novel abilities? Probably so, but he can improve with hard work. Learning a new craft was fun but hard to turn into a career. If the system would continue to give him traits after finishing the quest he received then why not pick something new? It would give him a big boon to his progress in that path.

The thought crossed his mind, but he still decided he should stick with what he knew. Oddly enough, his path was not limited to only one option. He could pick another, and he was stuck. His choices were still limited to his literature path, but he had another option he could pick. This was huge and meant his potential would only increase.

A lot of the choices he was given were not interesting to him, but there were a few that were. The ones that he found most appealing were script writer, song writer, and comic writer. All of them were in fields he never really touched before but he could see himself being in if he was capable and enjoyed it. Although the entertainment business was a bit... too much considering everything he heard about what went on behind closed doors. As a script writer or even song writer he did not need to handle all of the drama that was tied to the entertainment industry.

A comic writer was something he never imagined he would ever do. Comics were sort of dying in the United States, but he knew in the future there would be a rise of webcomics that would bring forth a wave of new enjoyment. However, the future was unknown and it was already heading in a different direction than he knew. The trends of the past may never see the day of light this time.

The ability to create a script for one of his stories and try to pitch it to a company was thrilling and if it worked out, then his stories could come to life on the big screen or home televisions. Just the thought of that excited him. However, he also knew if he was a capable enough writer that would happen anyway. People would want to see his novels made into some other format. The only difference was that he would make the script himself so his vision for the story would be vastly different than everyone else's. And, he would be biased since it was his own story.

Conan sighed. Maybe he should think about this more before making a decision. Who knew what sort of options he would be given later on and if the two he made now would affect them.

'No, let's go with the comic option. I always wanted to create a webtoon a long time ago, maybe this time I'll be able to. I guess the only downside is that my art skills are terrible.' Conan chose and looked over his new quest.

[Novelist - 1]

[Gain 5,000 Fans. 3/5,0000]

[Publish 1 Bestselling novel. 0/1]

[Publish 1 Trilogy. 0.1]

[Publish 10 Novels. 1/10]

[Publish 1 Romance Novel. 0/1]

[Publish 1 Mystery Novel. 0/1]

[Have 3 published novels have a rating of 4.5 stars or more. 0/1]

[Comic Writer - 1]

[Create a comic script for children. 0/1]

[Create a comic. 0/1]

'Oh wow, that is a lot.' Conan looked dumbfounded at the transparent windows in front of him. This was the most quests he was given at one time, and knowing he wouldn't gain a new trait until he finished it sort of made him laugh. Work hard to gain the perk. It was as if the system was tempting him with rewards but only if he pushed himself.

Romance novels were his worst enemy. He sucked at writing it and not because he never had any romantic experience himself. The reason was that he lacked the skill to write something that didn't make him barf or want to pull his hair out. Romance novels were hard to write because they were all the same in his eyes.

The windows vanished out of existence and Conan checked the computer screen. A smile crept up on his face as he was proud of himself for creating his first novel and publishing it. His temptation got the better of him and he refreshed the screen.

'Um, is this right? No, it can't be.' Conan was able to see that one hundred people purchased his novel. It hasn't even been that long since he published it. No matter how well-known an author was, could they attract the attention of their fans this fast? It took him days to garner hundreds of views, but weeks for a hundred or more to purchase it. 

He couldn't help but check the trait he just acquired. Was it this powerful? No. Maybe it was just his luck finally turning around.

"Conan." His mom called his name as she stepped into the room. He was in his parents room using the computer because his fathers old office was now a baby room. Light blue walls, a ton of soft plushies, a crib, and boxes of diapers stacked against the wall. They were ready, and Conan was a bit excited to see how this brother of his would turn out.

"Yes?" He responded as he turned around in the chair to look at her.

"Me and your father were talking the other day and we think we should send your book to the school. What do you think?"

His mom did not mean to Ms. Avery, she was talking about sending it to the school that they wanted him to attend. Even he was curious about the place. What famous people emerged from there? How come he's never heard of it before? He had questions and the only real way to get answers was if he was to attend the school.

Due to the enrollment period being over it would be difficult to get into the academy. Ms. Avery told them they had to show the school advisors that Conan was special and worth investing in. That would be simple for them to pull off if it were anyone else, but this was supposed to be an elite school that only took in the best. Kids there should be able to do what Conan does with ease. Naturally none of them met any of the children that attended the academy so most of what they imagined was just made up.

Conan grabbed his hairless chin as he thought over what she said. He did finish it and it was finally out in the open for anyone to see, so why not? "Sure, even if it doesn't pique their curiosity then at least I'll be able to see what they think about it."

"I'm sure they'll be very interested." Emily told her son before she noticed the website he was on. "Oh! You finished it?"

Conan nodded. "Not that long ago, I was expecting-"

"Wow, a hundred and twenty-six people already brought it? How long has it been?" She was so shocked by the number of people and when she finally noticed the release date she was even more surprised. It truly couldn't have been that long ago considering her soon was just in the living room two hours ago and he had not finished typing the last few chapters up. How was his book able to get so much attention so fast? Were the views real? Did people actually buy it?

"Honey, your father set up this account right?"

"Yes, why?"

"I am wondering what account he used for payments. If this many people actually got the novel for this price then you've made a big chunk of cash. Speaking of cash, does this mean we have to do taxes for you? Oh, I think i'll have to ask Becca about it." His mother just started saying a lot of stuff that he honestly never thought about. He should have, but didn't.

He was making money now, so would he be taxed? He didn't know, but he was also a child. Would they come for his parents for child labor? He wasn't actually forced to do anything, but still. You never knew what people could do, and some people were always out to make others look bad. Meaning his parents, not him. Conan doubted anyone would or could make him look bad. He was only a child after all.

4