Chapter 18 – Hell Hath No Fury?
57 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6, 2017

2.36 am, Cancun, Mexico

 

A severed head sticks to the wall. It is affixed by a glue of brain matter and bone. The result of the skull being bashed into the wall. The smashed face belonged to a man. His body lies apart, gushing warm blood from the base of his neck. He was the first of 6 to be executed yet his death was the only one honored by a full decapitation. His eyes are wide open, immortalizing the subject of surprise and abject terror. The last thing he saw was a dark-haired blur. Abyss.

 

20 seconds ago…

 

The creaking of the opening door disrupts the calm hallway. 6 guards, 4 in front of 2, tensely point their semi-automatic assault rifles at the darkness revealed by the open door. Nothing.

 

An object drops. The guards all point downwards. It’s a shiny bloody knife.

 

Suddenly, a dark-haired blur swings on to the front guards. Two middle guards receive a boot to their faces, forcing both backward to the ground. Their guns fire as they fall.

 

RATATA.

 

This lasts but a second. Their heads smashed between a powerful foot and the floor. Using their faces as a springboard, the shadow leaps to the 2 guards in the back. Punching the throat of each, forcing them onto their backs. The shadow backflips. 

 

The last 2 guards are in shock and disarray. Standing away from them is the shadow. A woman covered in blood. A knife bitten securely between her teeth.

 

BANG.

 

She suddenly propels from the floor like a lightning bolt. She lands in between the guards. Blood splashes as the guard on the left falls, grasping his throat which has a knife. The last guard on the right is picked up by the neck. The struggle is brief as his throat is crushed nearly instantly.

 

The woman drops the guard. Her eyes focusing on the first guard she killed when she entered. She bends down. She pulls out his combat knife. Then proceeds to carve away his neck muscles. Despite the man’s involuntary muscle spasms and blood splashing, the woman continues with the sturdiness of an experienced butcher. She picks up the head and throws it.

 

Now…

 

Abyss stands watching the severed head stuck to the wall. This was the only unlucky guard who had managed to shoot her. It was only a graze on her thigh but she unleashed a dose of her bottomless violence. That is what her personality was. Kaori’s constant brewing pit of savagery.

 

“Abyss.” Aviator says, “Blood is paid.”

 

Abyss turns to face the man standing in the stairwell. Aviator’s hands are up to his chest, palms facing Abyss. He is unarmed. After staring him down for what feels like a minute, Abyss sighs. All of a sudden, she becomes unsteady and begins to sway. Aviator swoops in and catches her.

 

“I failed.” Shade says.

 

“No, you didn’t.” Aviator responds, embracing her.

 

“I failed as recon.” Shade counters.

 

“This was a perfect trap.” Aviator says, “But the fight isn’t over.”

 

Shade looks at herself then her surroundings. Blood. Blood everywhere.

 

“I have no strength left.” Shade says.

 

“We are Team Six.” Aviator says, “We always have strength when we need it.”

 

Footsteps echo from the stairwell. It’s Spectrum.

 

“Shade?” Spectrum asks.

 

“Mmm.” Shade mumbles.

 

“Oh thank Allah.” Spectrum says, “Abyss left a mess. And yes, I am still terrified of her.”

 

“No other hostiles despite the ruckus.” Aviator adds, “Safe to assume this floor is clear.”

 

“I will go on ahead then.” Spectrum says handing a gun over, “You can take care of Shade.”

 

“Together.” Shade insists as she attempts to stand up.

 

“We’ll move together.” Aviator says as he supports Shade up, “Spectrum, take point.”

2