Chapter 26 – Paths?
40 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6, 2017

8.20 am, Andrews AFB, USA

 

The stairs of the C-20H Gulfstream private jet open outwards onto the tarmac. A man in a black suit with a white shirt and black tie sticks his head out to look around. The sun has risen and the air is fresh, abuzz with airport activity. A mix of people and vehicles occupy the tarmac below. 

 

A man and woman stand out. They stare at the doorway of the aircraft with eagerness in their eyes. The suited man steps back in. Two young women step out. They recognize the couple below and race down the stairs. Within seconds, they embrace.

 

For a moment, time is frozen as the family reunites in a four-way tight embrace. What words cannot convey, hugs and tears do. Love.

 

6 Secret Service Agents and FBI Supervisory Special Agent Erika Diaz-Iglesias descend from the private jet. FBI Special Agent Diaz makes her way past the family to FBI Director Don Bridges, who is standing outside a standard black government SUV.

 

“Job well done, Special Agent Diaz.” Director Bridges says while extending a handshake.

 

“They were already saved by the time I arrived, Sir.” Special Agent Diaz says while accepting the handshake, “I just brought the gals back home.”

 

“You did more than wrap the bow.” Director Bridges says while releasing the handshake.

 

“I also helped the girls straighten out their rescue story.” Special Agent Diaz says.

 

“Excellent.” Director Bridges says, “I look forward to reading your report.”

 

“Thank you, Sir.” Special Agent Diaz says with a knowing nod, “I will keep it... concise.”

 

“This car will get you back to HQ.” Director Bridges says with a smile as he opens the door.

 

Special Agent Diaz climbs in, Director Don shuts the door behind her, and the car rolls away. Don looks away from the departing car to the family who are only now parting. Walking towards them is President Gertrude Pond. Don watches as President Pond gets enveloped in a massive hug by her granddaughters. His phone suddenly interrupts his viewing...

 

“Oh Big Mommy! Thank you!” Serena says in a tight embrace.

 

“Thank you so much, Big Mommy!” Mariah says.

 

“You are my babies. I am so sorry you had to go through that.” Gertrude says.

 

“It wasn’t your fault, Big Mommy.” Serena says.

 

“We don’t blame you at all, Big Mommy.” Mariah says.

 

“I love you both so much.” Gertrude says with a tight squeeze.

 

“Thank you for sending that team.” Serena whispers.

 

“We know we can’t tell anyone about it but it’s our fault they came in.” Mariah whispers.

 

“And got hurt.” Serena adds.

 

“Now listen here you two.” Gertrude whispers, “You must stick with the official cover story.”

 

“Yeah, National Security and all.” Mariah says.

 

“But one of them got hurt really bad and they were all poisoned.” Serena says.

 

“It’s all being taken care of.” Gertrude says, “Believe in Big Mommy!”

 

Serena and Mariah split from the hug then nod.

 

“We know what we want to do in the future.” Serena and Mariah announce in unison.

 

“Oh?” Dr. Muhammud Ali says as he walks forward.

 

“Don't you want to finish your degrees?” Dr. Linda asks as she steps in.

 

“Yes, we do!” Serena says.

 

“But, we want to help refugees.” Mariah says.

 

“Refugees?” Dr. Linda and Dr. Muhammud ask in confusion.

 

“I see.” Gertrude says, “Well, those refugees are getting a lot of help from the Nova Lotus Foundation. And when they get to our border, I’ll expedite their cases.”

 

“Thanks, Big Mommy!” Mariah and Serena shout in unison.

 

“Let’s continue this on the chopper.” Gertrude says pointing to Marine One, “We have to do a quick press conference for your safe return. The entire country came together worried.”

 

As the group makes their way to Marine One, Director Bridges intercepts.

 

“Ma’am, an update.” Director Don says.

 

“Go on, I’ll catch up.” Gertrude says jokingly, “It’s only called Marine One when I’m on it so you can’t leave without me.”

 

The family moves ahead smiling, leaving Director Don with President Gertrude.

 

“Report.” President Pond says dismissing her jovial manner.

 

“Director Jones said that a fire of unknown origin surrounds Fire’s room.” Director Bridges says.

 

“How soon till it’s under control?” President Pond asks.

 

“They have it contained so hopefully soon, Ma’am.” Director Bridges says.

 

“Alright.” President Pond says then asks, “Any news on what they were poisoned with?”

 

“Doctor Wong’s findings are inconclusive so we will send blood samples to secure labs for further analysis.” Director Bridges answers, “But they remain stable albeit unconscious.”

 

“Even with 3rd-degree burns all over his body, Fire lives.” President Pond says.

 

“It’s a miracle, Ma’am.” Director Bridges says.

 

“Even if his life will never be the same, I pray to God that he pulls through. That they all pull through.” President Pond says pensively then sighs, “Alright, let’s get that press conference over with quickly.”

 

“Yes, Ma’am.” Director Don says.

 

President Gertrude Pond walks towards Marine One. Two sharply dressed US Marines stand at attention beside the front stairs leading up into the helicopter, right hands on their temples in salute. They stand as sentinels for the iconic green and white executive helicopter transport of the President of the United States.

 

President Gertrude Pond returns their salute then ducks into the helicopter with Director Don Bridges in tow. Secret Service agents load into Marine One through both its front and rear stairs. Then, the US Marine on the left steps forward then turns left, beginning a steady march across the helicopter’s body length. He turns left when he arrives at the rear door, proceeding to secure the rear stairs by lifting it shut. He then returns upon his path with a march, soon arriving at the front stairs. He ascends smartly then pulls the stairs up, enclosing Marine One. 

 

All the while, the second US Marine that had stood on the right side of the front stairs had marched to a forward spot beyond Marine One and now stood in salute. The rest of the people have gotten into vehicles and are already leaving. Marine One’s engines roar to life and its propellers begin to spin.

 

The US Marine bows forward while gripping his cap as Marine One gradually rises into the air. Two duplicate helicopters join in. As they ascend, they perform a special aerial maneuver, confusing spectators to which is the real Marine One. Destination, the White House.

2