Chapter 32 – Blazing Freak?
29 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6, 2017

8.43 am, Naval Air Station Key West, USA

 

“Old Fire?” CIA Director Nick Jones asks.

 

“In the flesh, Old Snake.” Fire responds.

 

“But…” Director Jones begins to say then asks, “Doc?!”

 

“It is indeed Aidan.” Dr. Kabeer Wong says, “I saw it happen with my very own eyes.”

 

“How?! What?!” Director Jones asks.

 

“The only way to find out is with an open mind and a calm scientific approach.” Dr. Wong says.

 

“How is that working out?” Jones asks.

 

“The result is as you see.” Dr. Wong responds, showing the bent needle.

 

“Woah!” Jones says as he examines the curved needle on the tray.

 

“That’s not all.” Dr. Wong says.

 

“Turning into a kid with strong skin isn’t all?” Jones asks.

 

“Seems he also started the fire upstairs.” Dr. Wong answers.

 

“Like… this.” Fire says as he raises his left arm in front of his face.

 

“What?” Jones asks.

 

“Pay attention.” Dr. Wong says to Fire, “Use your breaths.”

 

Fire’s gaze locks onto his left hand. He concentrates, imagining the heat welling up within him. He then channels the boiling heat to his hand. The heat surges, escaping as steam from his skin. The air sizzles, expanding from the heat. Suddenly, flames erupt from his hand. Red-Orange fire coats his entire hand to his wrist.

 

“WHAT IN THE BLAZES?!” Jones says as he leaps backward.

 

“That’s…” Fire says.

 

“How does it feel?” Dr. Wong asks.

 

“Like... it’s a part of me.” Fire says as he wiggles his fingers.

 

Jones slowly steps forward, entranced by the flame that dances in tandem with Fire’s fingers.

 

“Can you control that?” Jones asks.

 

Fire closes his fist while exhaling. The flames fade, disappearing as if they never were.

 

“Incredible.” Jones says as he reaches for Fire’s fist, “Not even hot.”

 

“Any casualties from the fire?” Fire asks.

 

“None so far I have heard of.” Jones says, “Just a lot of damaged property.”

 

“Good thing you are rich.” Dr. Wong jokes.

 

“If I can still walk into the bank and claim to be a 63-year-old.” Fire says.

 

“I can take care of it.” Jones says with a laugh then asks, “What else have you got?”

 

“Earlier I had some kind of surround thermal vision.” Fire says, “Even now, I can sense heat.”

 

“How so?” Dr. Wong asks.

 

“If I focus, I can sense every heat signature within… 30 feet.” Fire says.

 

“Hmm…” Dr. Wong says, “Thermal vision and heat sense might be related.”

 

“What are you seeing now?” Jones asks.

 

“Normal colors.” Fire says as he examines the room, “Although, everything seems… clearer.”

 

“You had perfect vision before.” Jones says.

 

“Apparently, it’s more perfect now.” Fire says.

 

“And perfect is relative.” Dr. Jones remarks then asks, “Can you activate your thermal vision?”

 

“The last time was by accident.” Fire says, “I tried to open the door and… it burst into flames.”

 

“Try closing your eyes and focusing on your heat sense.” Dr. Wong recommends.

 

“Just in case he bursts into flames.” Jones says as he takes a giant step back.

 

Fire closes his eyes, plunging himself into darkness. This time, he turns his senses outwards. Casting out his mind to the ambient heat in his surroundings. Everything is foggy as if obscured by a veil. After a momentary hesitation, curiosity wins over so Fire tears apart the shroud. His misty dark world is suddenly dyed in a flurry of sharp red and orange objects.

 

“Wow!” Fire exclaims.

 

“What can you see?” Dr. Wong asks.

 

“Everything…” Fire replies as he examines this near 360-degree surreal world.

 

“It’s as if I have thermal goggles but with a roughly 360-degree view.” Fire elaborates.

 

“Can you see me?” Jones asks as he re-approaches.

 

“I can see you in front of me and I can see everything behind me perfectly.” Fire says.

 

“Excellent.” Dr. Jones says, “Try turning it off.”

 

Fire nods. He attempts to repeat what had happened earlier upstairs except this time he was cognizant of every step. He focuses on dialing down the heat sense, reducing it back to the world of misty darkness. Then he opens his eyes to the world of normal colors.

 

“Back to normal.” Fire says.

 

“Were you practicing before I came in?” Jones asks.

 

“This was all a first try.” Dr. Wong says, “We were just testing the limits of his skin’s durability.”

 

“Continue.” Jones says eagerly.

 

Dr. Wong picks up the scalpel. He grips it like a knife.

 

“I will start with a soft push.” Dr. Jones says.

 

“Try to stab instead.” Fire says.

 

“Your insurance won’t cover a deliberate injury.” Jones says.

 

“It’s a good thing that I don’t have insurance then.” Fire responds heartily, “Doc.”

 

Dr. Wong nods. He lifts the scalpel then plunges it down onto Fire’s left forearm. Nothing. He tries again with more force. Nothing. He tries yet again with far more force. Still nothing.

 

“It feels like I am hitting a taut material.” Dr. Wong says.

 

“I felt no pain,” Fire says, “Just a light tap.”

 

“If I had a gun, I would’ve given you a bulletproof certification test.” Jones says.

 

“Truly remarkable.” Dr. Wong says.

 

“Yeah.” Jones says, “Add that to his usual inhuman strength and we have a superhero.”

 

“I feel my strength might have increased.” Fire says as he clenches his hands.

 

“Actually, I feel like all my physical attributes increased.” Fire says.

 

“No way.” Jones says shaking his head, “Team Six is special because every one of you’s highly-trained with inhuman attributes but still regarded as humans, not actual freaks.”

 

“We do not know if the others are like this.” Dr. Jones says.

 

“Or if they’ll even wake up.” Fire adds as he looks around the room.

 

Team Six remains unconscious. Their machines beep indicating life yet they remain motionless.

 

“But couldn’t the poison be the cause of your power?” Jones asks to alleviate the room.

 

“It would seem that way but...” Dr. Wong says, “Many factors remain to be investigated.”

 

“The poison would be the most logical.” Jones says, “So there’s hope.”

 

“My gut says otherwise.” Dr. Wong insists, “But hope remains.”

 

“I agree with Dr. Wong.” Fire says, “The Mad Scientist that burned me alive would not be kind enough to empower my team. That would truly be mad.”

 

Suddenly, red lights flash and sirens blare through the air.

2