Chapter 36 – Freaking Day?
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6th, 2017

0921, Naval Air Station Key West, USA

 

“Permission to come aboard, Captain Keyes?” General George Beggingson asks.

 

The room around buzzes with the busyness of a multitude of screens and people. Men and women in navy and professional uniforms race about in-between stations, trying to tame the beastly situation. This is the Command Center for Naval Air Station (NAS) Key West located in Florida. Even with the sirens off, the Command Center still remains in chaos.

 

“For you General Beggingson, always.” Captain Keyes says with a salute then a handshake.

 

Captain Mark Keyes of the US Navy is the Commanding Officer for the entire NAS Key West base. He stands at just over 6 feet in the white shirt, black tie and pants of the Navy officer uniform. General Beggingson salutes Captain Keyes back then accepts his handshake because although General Beggingson outranks Captain Keyes, Captain Keyes is the Commanding Officer of the base while General Beggingson is merely visiting. Right now, Captain Keyes is having a freaky day. General Beggingson’s old friendly face is a lifeline he warmly welcomes.

 

“What’s the situation?” General Beggingson asks as he stands side-by-side with Captain Keyes.

 

An unarmed woman in a USMC marine patterned combat utility uniform stands behind General Beggingson. She had followed General Beggingson in and saluted Captain Keyes as well. Her name tag spells Sheppard. Her piercing eyes stare found vacantly vigilant.

 

“First, an alarm was triggered at a hallway below the recommissioned northern docks. Then 7 explosions simultaneously all over the base.” Captain Keyes says, “3 along the highway and bridge, 1 on a minor road, 2 in the office and residential area, and 1 on the main runway.”

 

“So access to and from the base has been disrupted?” General Beggingson

 

“Indeed.” Captain Keyes says, “And now, our radio comms are being disrupted. The security system is on the fritz making rapid response slow.” 

 

“So a multipronged guerrilla assault.” General Beggingson says, “Who are the hostiles?”

 

“Unknown.” Captain Keyes says, “Their unit size and objectives are also unknown.”

 

“Any contact?” General Beggingson asks.

 

“Nothing yet, just chasing ghosts.” Captain Keyes responds, “But, we have one casualty so far.”

 

“Casualty?” General Beggingson asks.

 

“Yeah.” Captain Keyes replies, “The janitor who sounded the alarm.”

 

“Janitor?” General Beggingson implores as his gut grows a pit.

 

“Her name was Alena Smith.” Captain Keyes says.

 

Shock washes through General Beggingson. Then a huge sigh.

 

“Did you know her?” Captain Keyes asks, reading General Beggingson’s facial demeanor.

 

“I only met her less than an hour ago.” General Beggingson says, “She is… was so young.”

 

“Without her warning, the base might be far worse than it currently is.” Captain Keyes says.

 

“Her bravery must not be in vain.” General Beggingson says with a clenched fist.

 

“It will not.” Captain Keyes reaffirms.

 

“How can my troops be of service?” General Beggingson asks.

 

“Right now, we are in the dark.” Captain Keyes says, “We are responding to every incident but since communication is on the fritz, it is difficult to coordinate responses. Our forces are also stretched thin and any external help is a half-hour away at least, depending on the roads.”

 

“If only we knew the enemy’s objective…” General Beggingson says, “My mentor often says when solving a problem, break it down and start with the obvious.”

 

“The obvious?” Captain Keyes asks.

 

“What has happened on the base within the last 24 hours before this attack?” General Beggingson asks, “First thing that comes to mind.”

 

“Hmmm… The first thing that comes to mind is the Director of the CIA being on base and asking for special accommodations.” Captain Keyes says.

 

“Jones is here?” General Beggingson asks.

 

“Oh yeah. I’ve been corresponding with him. Our last texting was just 10 minutes ago.” Captain Keyes says as he pulls out his Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphone, “Unfortunately, no cell signal.”

 

“I have got a feeling he might have some insight into our current predicament.” General Beggingson says then asks, “Where was he last?”

 

“I believe I sent him to the on-base clinic.” Captain Keyes says, “He checked-in a burn victim, with full-body 3rd-degree burns.”

 

“Full body burns?” General Beggingson asks in shock.

 

“Yeah but here’s the freaky thing. The room this patient was in suddenly erupted in flames and no one can explain how.” Captain Keyes says, “Then the flames mysteriously died down. So I called to inform him of that.”

 

“Hmm…” General Beggingson says, “Do you mind me asking if a doctor and 5 others were part of the entourage?”

 

“Not sure about the others but there was a doctor.” Captain Keyes replies, “Do you know them?”

 

“Just a hunch.” General Beggingson says then turns to the Marine behind him, “Colonel Sheppard, head down to the base clinic and find CIA Director Nick Jones. Tell him I’m here.”

 

“Sir!” Colonel Miranda Sheppard says with a salute.

 

“Oh, wait.” General Beggingson says then turns to Captain Keyes, “Could you arm her?”

 

“Certainly!” Captain Keyes says then points to a nearby MP, “Sergeant, spare her your sidearm.”

 

The MP salutes. He then reaches for his Beretta M9 side gun, unholstering and passing it to the waiting hand of Colonel Miranda Sheppard. She holsters the sidearm. Then, with a nod, leaves.

 

“Hopefully she finds him still there.” Captain Keyes says.

 

“I trust she will.” General Beggingson says.

 

“To think the day only started with a fire.” Captain Keyes says with a sigh, “What a freaking day.”

1