Chapter 40 – Freaky Heat?
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6th, 2017

9.23 am, Naval Air Station Key West, USA

 

“Crazy asshole.” Fire mumbles as he sprints towards the fleeing masked man.

 

The two explosions had clouded Fire’s thermal vision. Luckily, they die down quickly a second later. The masked man had actually detonated the last explosives. Perhaps the masked man meant to seal in whoever was left in the facility. Unfortunately for him, the southern ones had been deactivated. Now, after a few turns, Fire is finally standing in front of the masked man. The masked man is in shock over the man with flaming hands standing 50 meters ahead of him.

 

“You’re alone.” Fire says as he molds a fireball secretly in his left hand, “Surrender.”

 

“What’re you?!” The masked man shouts while pointing his assault rifle.

 

“A freak.” Fire responds.

 

The masked man releases a volley of bullets at Fire. Fire’s senses kick into overdrive. Time slows as Fire races head-on into the incoming bullets. He dodges the bullets as he closes the distance, pushing his fireball forward towards the masked man’s neck. Unfortunately, the slippery floor stops Fire from dodging a stray bullet. It ricochets off Fire’s right shoulder, combining with the wet floor to alter his body posture and ultimately the fireball’s trajectory.

 

Fire’s fireball instead impacts the masked man’s right shoulder but the force is still enough to lift the man off his feet and back 10 meters against the walls of crates. The man crumbles down.

 

“I am bulletproof.” Fire says as he examines his shoulder, which has no marks.

 

But that stung.’ Fire thinks in his head.

 

“Heil Skull Reich!” The masked man says in a whimper as he unpins a grenade.

 

Shit!’ Fire thinks to himself as the explosion barrels towards him.

 

BOOM!

 

Fire’s vision is once again assaulted with bright red and orange. Fire instinctively raises his hands to protect his face. Yet, he feels no expected pain. Instead, pleasure fills his senses. It is as if he is eating a delicious dessert. The sensation lasts only moments as the flames die out.

 

Left in the crater are the body parts of the Skull Reich operative. Fire turns off his thermal vision.

 

“I only needed one of you alive.” Fire says to the corpse as he turns around to head back.

 

Fire makes his way back to the still bleeding Logan. Not like Logan could move on his own.

 

“You’ve two choices.” Fire says as he examines Logan’s shoulder, “I can cauterize you right now or you can wait for help.”

 

Is he actually serious?!’ Logan says in his head as he stares in shock at Fire.

 

“I’ll wait for help.” Logan struggles to say.

 

“Alright.” Fire says, “Then, I’ll bandage you up.”

 

Fire reaches for Logan’s other sleeve. He rips it off effortlessly then ties it tight around Logan’s bleeding shoulder. The white cloth goes red but it holds in place, for now.

 

“Thank you.” Logan says then asks, “Who are you?”

 

“A freak.” Fire says after a brief pause.

 

What else can I be?’ Fire thinks to himself as he examines his hands.

 

“You saved me.” Logan says, “You are a hero.”

 

As a man who works in the shadows, it is rare for Fire to interact with those he saves. So each interaction is a valued light in his dark world. A reaffirmation that he is making a difference.

 

“Director Jones sent me to recover the hard drives.” Fire detracts.

 

“I can’t stop you anyway.” Logan says handing over the metal case, “So take it.”

 

“I will.” Fire says standing while extending his right hand, “After getting you out of here.”

 

“Thanks.” Logan says as he accepts the assistance.

 

Fire pulls up Logan effortlessly. The two men walk, with Logan leaning on Fire for support. After all, Logan has lost a lot of blood. Soon, the southeast exit comes into view. Fire pushes it open. Both men step into the bright day and head south. Fire helps Logan past the still tied up and gagged Skull Reich operative, who remains unconscious. They turn the corner to find the rest of the facility crew standing further southeast, at the hill Fire was on just 8 minutes ago.

 

“It’s Logan.” A woman shouts and points at Logan and Fire.

 

All heads turn to the approaching duo. Two of the men on the hill run down to assist. As they approach, Fire lowers Logan onto the grassy hill. The two men arrive followed by a woman.

 

“I’ll be fine.” Logan struggles to say, “He saved me.”

 

“Thank you.” The woman says as she looks up at Fire.

 

“Sirens!” The woman on the hill shouts.

 

“A lot of them.” The man beside her corresponds.

 

Fire takes the silver briefcase, which Logan gladly surrenders. Fire heads up the hill. As Fire watches the approaching sirens, his mind begins to ponder. Skull Reich came to retrieve some random hard drives and a US military base did not deter them. If they believe that Team Six is vulnerable, what lengths would Skull Reich go through to finish what they started in Mexico?

 

Oh no!’ Fire thinks to himself as his legs automatically start racing down the hill.

 

We are also targets!’ Fire screams in his head as he sprints to the clinic.

1