Chapter 49 – Freaky Backup?
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6th, 2017

9.32 am, Naval Air Station Key West

 

CIA Director Nick Jones might have caught up with Fire but the Humvee had to follow the winding road while Fire ran the shortest path, straight across. Now, the elevators aren’t working. 

 

“Stairs.” Colonel Miranda Sheppard says.

 

The group of 3 US Marines and Director Jones make their way to the concrete stairwell for a trip 5 floors underground. They go down with Col. Sheppard in the lead, followed by Director Jones. Somewhere in between the car and the stairs, Director Jones had requested a side arm from one of the marines so now he wields a Beretta M9 handgun and has it trained in front of him.

 

“Radio check, over.” A voice says over a radio, interrupting the stoic descent.

 

“Radios are back.” The female US Marine says as she pulls out the radio on her belt.

 

“That might be a good sign.” Director Jones says, “We should be close behind my asset.”

 

“Confirm our location.” Col. Sheppard says.

 

“I hear footsteps coming up.” The male US Marine says.

 

“Hold.” Col. Sheppard says then listens for a moment.

 

“Unknown contact incoming.” Col. Sheppard says, “Safeties off. Look alive, Marines.”

 

“It’s just me, Jones.” A voice from below says a moment later, “Don’t shoot.”

 

“Come up slowly.” Director Jones shouts back.

 

A man ascends the stairs to Director Jones location. He turns the corner, coming into full view of everyone. The man is 6’4 with short black hair wearing black scrubs and holding a briefcase.

 

“What about the basement?” Director Jones asks.

 

“Secured.” Fire says as he hands over the metal briefcase to Director Jones.

 

Director Jones lowers his gun and walks in front of the group to receive the briefcase.

 

“At ease everyone.” Director Jones says, “Let’s head down then.”

 

“Let the Marines lockdown the stairs.” Fire says.

 

“National Security?” Director Jones asks as he reads Fire’s hints.

 

Fire gives a simple nod in response.

 

“Alright.” Director Jones says, “Colonel, you folks hang back and secure this entrance.”

 

“General Beggingson’s orders were to support you, Sir.” Col. Sheppard says with rightful suspicion. The barefoot young man with soot all over him looks nothing like a trained agent.

 

Fire’s eyebrows raise at Beggingson’s name. Fire leans in and whispers to Director Jones.

 

Director Jones nods then says, “It would be unfair of me to just dismiss you after dragging y’all around. How about you station the Marines out here while you call in General Beggingson? Tell him it’s a National Security issue and to show up around 10.”

 

“What about your safety, Sir?” Col. Sheppard asks.

 

“With this young man around?” Director Jones asks with a chuckle, “I’ll be perfectly safe.” 

 

Col. Sheppard looks in between Director Jones and Fire. Seeing no obvious signs of coercion, she could only relent, “Sir.”

 

Director Jones and Fire make their way down the last flight of stairs, exiting the stairwell.

 

“So Beggingson is here?” Fire asks as he and Director Jones keep walking down the hallway.

 

“Yes, your mentee is around.” Director Jones says, “Thanks to his help, I could bring back up.”

 

“Good thing I asked you to call him over then.” Fire says.

 

“So why did you have me hold back the Marines?” Director Jones asks.

 

“I’m not the only anomaly.” Fire says.

 

Director Jones raises an eyebrow in confusion. The duo have just rounded the bend when they meet Quake, Spectrum, and Aviator who are standing in the hallway to the ward.

 

“Chief, you won’t believe what we found.” Quake says, “Oh hey, Director Jones.”

 

“Who are they?” Director Jones asks as he looks at Quake and the others.

 

“Who else could they be.” Fire answers nonchalantly.

 

“Well, Jones, you know we black men don’t crack.” Quake jokes.

 

“Wait, Andy?” Director Jones asks.

 

“Lucky guess.” Quake says with a laugh.

 

“Well I’ll be damned.” Director Jones says, “Then that means you must be Simon and Shawn.”

 

Spectrum and Aviator nod in confirmation.

 

“Did your entire team age backward?” Director Jones asks.

 

“Not everyone it seems.” Fire says, “Now, before you see the room, prepare yourself.”

 

“And remember, it wasn’t our fault.” Quake says, “But we are rich.”

 

Director Jones looks at Fire, then at the rest of the men who are obscuring his view of the observation glass into the room. Quake has a shit-eating grin while the others just shrug. They move away, revealing the room through the observation glass. Director Jones’ jaw drops open.

 

“What in the blazes?!” Director Jones shouts with wide eyes.

1