Aiden’s Requiem
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Can’t believe she’s making us wait!” Quake says, “I didn’t even vote for her.”

 

“Of course you didn’t, she didn’t have a presidential election.” Spectrum responds.

 

“And she’s making Director Jones wait, not us.” Aviator says.

 

Team Six, General Beggingson, Dr. Kabeer Wong, and Director Jones are all sitting in a makeshift conference room underground. They’ve been waiting on President Gertrude Pond’s call. Unfortunately, the President just texted to push Jones’ debrief back by 30 minutes. She was the President, she could do that. For now, the group sits bored.

 

“How about I tell a story?” Fire asks.

 

“Which one haven’t we heard before, Old Man?” Wave asks with a laugh.

 

“The story about why I became Fire.” Fire answers, as he pulls out an old letter.

 

-*-*-

Aidan’s POV

 

I had been feeling frigid as of late. Each day was getting ever colder.

 

The chill has no relation to the Cold War. I was well versed in the propaganda. It became the highlight of my day to compare the publications from the press to my insider knowledge. The whole world was mad, hearts hung on an imaginary cliff of danger. The human race enjoyed fighting way too much. And for what? Intangible ideology? Greed?

 

In a daze, I leave my thoughts. The source of this disorganization stemmed from a nightmare less than three days ago. It culminated with my prior feelings of a disregard of war. If Soviet Russia and America wanted to go at it, they can do so without my involvement.

 

I flip through the pages of the newspaper but it all reads the same. The Soviets were evil and had to be stopped by good old Uncle Sam. It sickened me to believe I had once fallen in love with the romance of war. I followed in Dad’s steps and became a soldier. But war did not live up to my fantasy. It was not a legacy builder but rather a waste of society’s talents. All the horrors I have seen. All the horrors I had done. I wanted to put my strength to good use but...

 

BREAK!

 

Eyes snap open. Jump into a combat stance. Quick glance around reveals no enemies. Then, I see Mom standing in the middle of the kitchen, staring at the door. Standing in the doorway are two uniformed men. The blood congeals in my heart, forcing me to hyperventilate.

 

-*-*-

Overall POV:

 

Days ago, somewhere across the Pacific…

 

“Close shave boys.” Colonel James Donald said. He sat in a cockpit with two others. Gauges and buttons were lit up. The blue sky was cloudless, perfect weather for flying. That was the only perfect thing.

 

A few minutes prior, the crew were under heavy gunfire. Their mission was supposed to be a simple success. Fly over some seemingly barren land close to USSR borders, take some pictures and return. Someone skipped the part about a nearby anti air defense system.

In what seemed like nothing short of a miracle, the crew escaped. Heading back home, flying over the Pacific.

 

“Gimme a system check, Jack.” Colonel James spoke.

 

“We barely made it out. Every system is in the yellow.” Jack responded.

 

“I’d say we should count our stars.” McLean, the second man, said.

 

The cockpit gets suddenly besieged by an ear splitting alarm.

 

“We are leaking fuel and just lost an engine.” Jack said. Beads of sweat formed on his brow.

 

Colonel James became lost in thought. The chance to return home in this aircraft had now hit zero. He looks like his mind is racing to formulate a plan.

 

“Jack, send out the SOS. McLean, grab the intel and prep for evac. I will get us to skydiving level.” Colonel James ordered. All the men nodded and began their duties.

 

Autopilot had failed so Colonel James had to handle the descent manually. His mind wandered home to his family. His lovely wife who he had promised to return home to. His son who had seen the ugliness of war.

 

“SOS sent out.” Jack said.

 

Colonel James returned to the present where the aircraft struggled to stay aloof. He felt his breast pocket. A faint square outline of an envelope responded to his touch.

 

“Parachutes are ready!” Shouted McLean from the cabin.

 

James and Jack got up in unison, making their way into the cabin. They both knew that this was the only option.

 

BOOM!

 

An explosion echoed through the aircraft. Smoke rose from some of the controls. James dashed back to the cockpit. He gazed quickly and assessed the situation.

 

“We just lost the last engine.” He shouted calmly. He knew that someone had to stay behind to maintain the position of the now free falling aircraft.

 

Jack attempted to return to the cockpit but was quickly stopped by James. In a swift but fluid motion, he pulled out the envelope from his breast pocket and tucked it into Jake’s hands. In another move, he pushed Jack into the cabin then locked the cockpit door.

 

Jake was briefly stunned but quickly regained himself.

 

“What are you doing James?” Jack asked. McLean joined in.

 

“We need to go. Together or not at all.” McLean said.

 

“Not this time, McLean. The mission must be completed.” James said behind the door.

 

“BULLSHIT! What about your family? What am I supposed to tell your boy?” Jack asked.

 

“We have been through worse. We can all make it.” McLean chimed in.

 

All around them, equipment jumps into the air. The pressure is intense. Everyone struggles to stay conscious.

 

“Give my son the letter. I cannot hold this bird in the air any longer. I order you to go! Now!” James shouts.

 

A look of hesitation radiates in the eyes of all the men followed by a sad defiant look. They nodded in unison. Jack and McLean strap on their parachutes and exit the falling craft. They dared not turn back before touchdown. Below them was the boundless deep blue ocean.

 

Back onboard. James sat in the cockpit fighting the controls. But as soon as he saw both men jump, he exhaled deeply and relaxed. 

 

“Why couldn’t I be a doctor…” James said.

 

Suddenly, a bright light covered the entire cockpit followed by the resounding boom of an explosion. Jame’s now former crewmates looked up from the water’s surface. Their faces bore profound sadness. Jack’s hand reached for his chest, feeling the outline of the letter. He had a promise to keep. A delivery to make.

Days later, an office at CIA headquarters...

 

Aidan sat in the stuffy office. A vague familiar face stared back at him. A very old friend indeed.

 

“Sad to reunite under such circumstances. I could not make it to his funeral. My deepest condolences Jonathan.” Nick Jones says.

 

After a brief silence, “I understand my father worked for the CIA”, Aidan says.

 

Nick Jones examines Aidan briefly. Slowly, he reached for a drawer beneath his desk. After pulling it open, he retrieved a file stamped “Lion 112 - Confidential”.

 

“Because I know you, I can show you this.” Nick says, passing the file to Aidan.

 

“He was on the verge of retirement. He was a prime figure in the Special Activities Division. Our best weapon against the Nazis and the Soviets.” Nick says, “Colonel James Donald was America’s greatest weapon against her enemies. We have lost a true national treasure.”

 

All the while, Aidan is skimming through the file. He discovers a whole new face to his father. The greatness he had exuded throughout his career laid bare. A lot of parts were redacted, however the big picture was there. His father was instrumental to the shaping of America’s current path through the world. Beyond that, he had shaped world history. For behind the scenes, he had done things to keep the peace lasting a little longer.

 

Aidan gets a silent understanding. He raises his head and says, “I want in. On my terms.”

 

Six little words that set in motion a chain reaction in the world’s very own history.

 

Nick Jones nods, “I will make some calls.”

 

Moments later, Aidan was walking through the lobby. On a wall are a series of black stars. He stops, staring at the new star that had just been added. He pulls out a meticulously folded piece of paper. The same letter that was delivered to his home a few days ago by two uniformed men. 

 

***

 

Fire now reads the letter out loud.

 

Hello Aidan,

 

I hoped this day would never come, but it has. 

We are men of action and few words. I regret nothing.

Life is cruel. I remember all the times we have laughed and fought. But know, I love you always. Wherever this ruthless world leads you, know that I am in your corner forever.

The war is not over. You have the strength to keep moving forward. I know it hurts and how tough it is but the battles to come are all within your limits. Limits are meant to be broken, remember that.

My son, you must get up.

 

Take care of your mother.

 

Love,

Dad

 

  1. Your calling can be heard if you only listen.

 

“And that’s the story.” Fire says as he carefully and neatly refolds the letter. He gives the letter to Dr. Wong, who Fire had initially given it to for safe keeping whenever he went on missions.

 

“What I’ve asked of you all over the last few years has simply been too much.” Fire says as he stands up, “I brought Team Six together to put our collective might and unique skills into preventing wars. On that, we did good. I have no right to ask any more sacrifices of any of you.”

 

“Andy was right, we have superpowers and new faces now.” Fire says, “There are few restraints to our future. We’ve certainly earned our pie in the sky to do as we please.”

 

“I wanted to spend my retirement guiding the kids at the Orphanage.” Fire says, “But, I can’t sit idly by when a new threat emerges. And I know, neither can any of you. Not on a level like this.”

 

“Skull Reich trapped us. They made our worst nightmare real, they endangered others to get to us. They killed trying to kill us.” Fire says, “So, I invite you all to join me on this path forward. Not merely as spies in the underworld but as beacons in the dark. We will shine our justice upon Skull Reich. Together, we’ll take down Skull Reich just like every other trash we’ve cleaned up.”

1