Chapter 54 – Tremors to Cleanup?
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6th, 2017

9.30 am, Cancun, Mexico

 

Mexican Police officers patrol the smoldering wreckage of the former barn. One officer stands on disturbed grass, which, a few short hours ago, served as the landing zone for a UH-60 Blackhawk. His eyes scan the forest ahead and find no movements.

 

The refugees have gone. They had left about a half hour ago, escorted by Nova Lotus Foundation, to the US-Mexico border. Now, only 6 police officers patrol the site until the American government’s agents arrive for a deeper analysis. It was all part of a back room deal.

 

Unbeknownst to the watchful Police Officers above, there is movement below. A cylindrical vehicle tunnels its way through the soil with great stealth. Skull Reich are back to the scene of their crimes and defeat at the hands of Team Six. 3 masked men ride in the Mole vehicle.

 

“3 explosive devices still responding.” The first masked man says, in the cramped vehicle.

 

“What do our scans show for site recovery?” The second masked man asks.

 

“Extensive fire damage within and unstable internal structure.” The first man responds.

 

“There’s no way anyone can access that site or even dig into it.” The final masked man says.

 

“Orders are orders.” The second masked man, that is in charge, says, “Blow the explosives.”

 

“Roger that.” The first masked says. He presses a button.

 

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

 

Three explosives rock the decimated facility. On the surface, the officers wield their guns and point it everywhere in panic. The ground is rumbling and that is never good. A minute later, the rumbling stops as smoke escapes out of the already extinguished barn. It seems to be coming from underground. The officers are watchful because the burning barn could trigger a bushfire.

 

The officers run about, trying to access the situation. All the while, Skull Reich leaves as silently as they had arrived, with no one above the wiser. This was a successful cleanup operation.

10.30 am, Naval Air Station Key West

 

This is the second time Logan Ryan has met the Director of the CIA. Nick Jones is the big boss, but now he is standing beside Logan’s bed. Logan is yet to determine if Jones’ presence was a blessing or curse for his personal health, let alone his career and financial future.

 

“How’re you feeling, son?” Director Jones asks.

 

“I’ve never been shot before, sir.” Logan says, “So I really can’t say.”

 

“Well, the doctors say you should make a full recovery in no time.” Director Jones says.

 

The duo are in a private clinic room with pleasant lights and atmosphere. Logan is hooked up to IVs and other medical apparatus. His left shoulder is wrapped in bandages.

 

“I hope it's not too long.” Logan says, then indicates to the briefcase, “I see you got the case.”

 

“Job well done protecting this.” Director Jones says, “How does a promotion at Langley sound?”

 

“Wow!” Logan exclaims, “Do you really mean that, sir? I didn’t even deliver on my job.”

 

“Of course, there’s a string attached to it.” Director Jones says.

 

“Anything to do with an asset I definitely didn’t see, sir?” Logan says with caution.

 

“Then we have an understanding.” Director Jones says, “Take 2 weeks paid vacation. Report to my office by September 25, no later than 11 am for your new assignment.”

 

“Thank you very much, sir.” Logan says, “I won’t disappoint you.”

 

“Just keep up the-” Director Jones begins to say when his iPhone interrupts.

 

“I’ve to take this.” Director Jones says as he turns to the door, “Get well soon.”

 

“Thank you very much, sir.” Logan shouts after the departing Director Jones.

 

“Maybe it’s a blessing. And now I’ve a mysterious scar.” Logan says silently as the door is shut.

 

Meanwhile, Director Jones has placed his AirPods in his ears and accepts the call. Standing outside Logan’s door are two male US Marines. Jones had requested their ongoing presence in guarding Logan, just in case. Jones nods to the Marines as he begins to stroll the hall.

 

“Director Jones.” Director Jones says.

 

“My investigative team hit a dead end.” The voice of Director Don Bridges of the FBI says.

 

“At Cancun?” Director Jones asks.

 

“Yes.” Director Bridges says, “The site is in ashes. There was some kind of underground fire.”

 

“But how?” Director Jones asks, “I thought the flames had died out hours ago.”

 

“The Mexican Federales report ground rumblings before the fire started.” Director Bridges says.

 

“Hmmm…” Director Jones ponders, “What’s the chance for info recovery through excavation?”

 

“My team says practically zero.” Director Bridges responds.

 

“So a dead end.” Director Jones says with a sigh.

 

“Yeah.” Director Bridges says, “A convenient wrap up.”

 

“In any case, thanks for the update.” Director Jones says.

 

“Just following orders.” Director Bridges says, “Director Bridges, out.”

 

The call ends. Director Jones has made his way to the elevator. He pushes its button while pondering. Something about the fire burning away whatever evidence was left didn’t sit well with him now he knew that Skull Reich could tunnel into places. He would bounce the information off Fire for his insights. For now, he is going to the command centre before the call. He had to gather some info and equipment to prepare for what could be an interesting Presidential debrief.

 

Might as well inform Captain Keyes to quiet those MPs.” Director Jones thinks to himself as the elevator doors open up. A female MP exits out, almost bumping into the Director.

 

“Pardon me.” The female MP says.

 

“I shouldn’t be standing right in front of the elevator doors anyways.” Director Jones says.

 

The two nod. Director Jones enters the elevator while the female MP walks away.

1