Chapter 57 – You declare Success?
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6th, 2017

5.55 pm, London

 

“This doesn’t sound like success, General.” Shadow says through the hologram.

 

The General sits in his well-lit office within the regional HQ for Skull Reich’s military activities in the UK, a lair underneath the fabled Devil’s Tears pub in London. He is conversing with the other person, apart from Darya, he actually respects in Skull Reich. The hooded figure known as Shadow. The hood is not unexpected, as everyone except for the General and Mad Scientist, usually hides their face. Shadow is the Tech Czar of Skull Reich, responsible for keeping the organization’s technology far above Earthlings, in preparation for the alien invaders to come.

 

“My ten hours aren’t up yet.” The General responds, “And I am here with solutions.”

 

4 minutes prior, the General had called Shadow and briefed him on the current status of the cleanup operations. Cancun went off without a hitch but there were complications in Florida. The recovery and assasination missions failed with only one operative still alive out of the dozen sent. Details are hazy on how exactly it all went to shit, but a pattern of bad luck is clear. The General sort to win over Shadow before the allotted time to report back to the heads was up.

 

“So you wish to use the Levitheum to extract both your Operative and the hard drives?” Shadow asks, “Isn’t that similar to the same showing off you accused the Mad Scientist of?”

 

Sure, the Mad Scientist assembled the organization, exposing the existence of alien beings who pose as and possess the power of gods but Shadow is the tamer of the ancient alien leviathan vessel that Skull Reich considers their most prized possession. Why Shadow wasn’t the Chair instead of the rambling idiot who refers to himself as Mad Scientist, is anyone’s guess.

 

“It’s a mess I took over but the buck stops with me.” The General says, “Loose ends must be tied up. Team Six must be taken out. Our mission is too vital to allow for such radicals anymore.”

 

“Agreed.” Shadow says, then asks, “So Darya’s Operatives couldn’t extract more intelligence?”

 

“Unfortunately not.” The General says, “While the CIA Director was spotted, no one confirmed the presence of Team Six. In fact, no one matching their descriptions has been reported.”

 

“So the CIA Director’s presence could mean Team Six is still on that base yet well hidden.” Shadow says, “I could just drop a bomb right on the base for peace of mind.”

 

“Glad to see your human sense of humor is growing.” The General says.

 

“Go on.” Shadow says in between bursts of mini laughter.

 

“The Americans have instituted National Security gag orders on the issue especially in the mission zones.” The General says, “There was one witness to what happened, a CIA officer. But he is under too much security and surveillance so we only have whispers.”

 

“So what do the whispers say?” Shadow asks.

 

“That a CIA asset was active in both mission areas.” The General says, “But, the descriptions match nothing of Team Six nor Fire’s. And, due to our own doing, there is no footage of him.”

 

“I admit to being curious to what could buggle even your Operatives, General.” Shadow says.

 

“They’re still only mortal.” The General says.

 

“Quite.” Shadow says, “Well, you have a daring solution.”

 

“Ultimately, I want to push the Americans to reveal all of their cards, such as this new CIA asset.” The General says, “Our plans can only work with total certainty when we know all.”

 

“So a stealth mission of this magnitude would test their response?” Shadow asks.

 

“Precisely.” The General says.

 

“Quite so.” Shadow asks, “So what about the foiled missions?”

 

“I will propose bringing forth True Justice ahead of schedule to take the fall.” The General says.

 

“Cajole would love that.” Shadow says with a light chuckle, “As usual, you have solutions to all the problems. You have my cooperation.”

 

“Most gracious.” The General says, “Avoid a repeat of the 2004 incident.”

 

“It’s an ancient vessel.” Shadow says with a shrug.

 

“Heil, Skull Reich.” The General says as he cuts the holographic feed.

 

Even with the noble goal of ascending humanity before the alien invaders arrive, politics remain.

He’s not bad... for an alien.’ The General thinks to himself as he sips his glass of Pride vodka.

1