Chapter 59 – Simply Incredible?
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6th, 2017

2.32 pm, Key West, Florida

 

“Simply incredible.” Dr. Anna B. Worth says.

 

3 minutes ago, Director Nick Jones had rang up Dr. Worth through the hasty video conference setup organized by Spectrum. After a short security verification, Director Jones introduced everyone to Dr. Worth, of course Dr. Kabeer Wong and Dr. Worth were already acquainted. Then Director Jones informed Dr. Worth of the strange situation, explaining that Dr. Wong had brought her up due to her research. Dr. Worth cautiously demanded proof and here we are.

 

Flames dance in Fire’s right hand. A ball of water sits on Wave’s left hand. A ball of dirt rests on Quake’s right hand. A ball of pure light shines in Spectrum’s right hand. A ball of wind churns in Aviator’s left hand. Kaori has a little ball of darkness in her right hand with a determined look on her face. Team Six now has all of their elements on display above the wooden table where everyone was sitting in front of the large screen with Dr. Worth’s face.

 

“Simply incredible.” Dr. Worth says as she scans around, then asks, “What about lightning?”

 

“This isn’t enough?” Director Jones asks, the metal briefcase resting on the table in front of him.

 

“Their elemental affinities do line up with my Cosmic Energy Spectrum theory but I was hoping for the complete picture.” Dr. Worth says while pushing up her glasses with her index left finger.

 

“Well, each of them have only expressed one type of an elemental affinity.” Dr. Wong says, “So what you see is what we have.”

 

“Then lightning is absent then?” Dr. Worth asks, then says, “6 out of 7 is still impressive.”

 

“You don’t look impressed.” Fire says as he extinguishes his flames. 

 

“You must forgive me. There are few things that surprise me given the nature of my work.” Dr. Worth says as she watches the others stow away their elements, then she says, “I am genuinely awed. You have confirmed major tenets of my theory and upended conventional physics. You say that you have only had these abilities for a few hours. How exactly did you gain them?”

 

“That concerns certain National Security matters.” Director Jones says.

 

“Such bureaucracy hinders my work.” Dr. Worth says, “If you want my expertise, start talking.”

 

“We were poisoned with an unknown substance.” Fire says, taking the lead.

 

“I tested them and found nothing discernible.” Dr. Wong says.

 

“Whatever poisoned them gave them powers and reversed their ages.” Director Jones says.

 

“Age regression, you say?” Dr. Worth asks, “How old were they before?”

 

“Between late 40s to early 60s.” Dr. Wong answers, “But I disagree with Director Jones.”

 

“Simply incredible.” Dr. Worth says, then asks, “Any other side effects? Phenomena?”

 

“Their physical capabilities have also been enhanced to simply superhuman levels.” Dr. Wong says, then asks, “Do you think their powers and age regression are linked?”

 

“I cannot say for sure but...” Dr. Worth says, “With Cosmic Qi and Materia, so much is possible.”

 

“Cosmic Qi? Materia?” Aviator asks.

 

“My terms for Dark Energy and Dark Matter respectively.” Dr. Worth answers.

 

“Why not just call them Dark Energy and Dark Matter?” Spectrum asks.

 

“Boring. Unimaginative.” Dr. Worth answers, “Dark means unseen but I have seen it.”

 

“That’s us.” Quake says leaning back on his chair, “The superpowered ones.”

 

“No.” Dr. Worth says, “I have been using Cosmic Materia for many applications including military technology like stealth coating. Am I wrong, Jones?”

 

“Fire, do you remember those special helicopters for the OBL mission?” Director Jones asks.

 

“6 years ago.” Fire says.

 

“Her stealth coating was used on them.” Director Jones says, “She’s blamed that on me since.”

 

“So your team is responsible for breaking one of my toys.” Dr. Worth says.

 

“When you say stealth coating, what exactly do you mean?” Aviator asks.

 

“Cosmic Materia cannot be detected by conventional apparatus.” Dr. Worth says.

 

“That should be impossible.” Spectrum says, “If you can see it then it must be measurable.”

 

“I said by conventional apparatus.” Dr. Worth says, “Cosmic Materia is both rare and special. It requires specialized means of detection. I have invented the appropriate mechanisms.”

 

“You go girl.” Wave says.

 

“In any case." Dr. Worth says, "You all must come to my lab immediately for further testing.”

 

“Can’t you just send us the necessary testing equipment?” Director Jones asks.

 

“And what? Trust you not to break them?” Dr. Worth asks back.

 

“That was one time.” Director Jones says.

 

“In any case, you would not make sense of the readings.” Dr. Worth says, “And I am too busy to fly out so you all must come to me. I guarantee that the trip would be enlightening for us both.”

 

“I will talk with the President.” Director Jones says.

 

“Ugh!” Dr. Worth says, “Nonsensical bureaucracy with so much red tape. At least this shall be far more stimulating than weapons development Matthews keeps badgering me with.”

 

“Did you say Matthews? As in General Matthews?” Fire asks.

 

“General Wade Matthews.” Dr. Worth says, then asks, “Friend of yours?”

 

“Not quite.” Fire says, shifting his gaze to Director Jones.

 

“He’s the current military head of Area 51.” Director Jones says in a helpless look.

 

“Hmm.” Fire says, then refocuses on Dr. Worth, “We’ll discuss and get back to you, Dr. Worth.”

 

“Do not keep me waiting.” Dr. Worth says, “I will send Director Jones my summation notes on Cosmic Qi and Cosmic Materia so that we can all be on a similar page.”

 

“Much appreciated.” Director Jones says.

 

“This is only the beginning.” Dr. Worth says, “You have only tapped the tip of your potential.”

 

The screen goes blank, leaving the room in silence.

1