Chapter 62 – Answers We Seek?
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6th, 2017

4.33 pm, Key West, Florida

 

“You want to relocate your entire team to Area 51?” President Gertrude Pond asks.

 

2 minutes ago, CIA Director, Nick Jones, had received the President’s call. The table, that was covered in food, is now tidy. Some quick updates were exchanged regarding how the call with Dr. Anna B. Worth went. Now everyone sits, looking at the President on the big screen.

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Fire says, “Dr. Worth has the answers we seek to bring this under control.”

 

“Jones?” President Pond says, looking at Director Jones.

 

“It seems she does, ma’am.” Director Jones says, “This is a first step while we sort things out.”

 

“Better than just sitting around.” President Pond says, “I’ll allow it. I want regular updates.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Director Jones says.

 

“I heard the death count is only one.” President Pond says, “The Alena girl.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Director Jones says, “Miraculously, she is the only victim.”

 

“An American was shot dead in the back in cold blood.” President Pond says, “It is still an utmost tragedy. I will try to speak with her parents later.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Director Jones says.

 

“The press has been hounding me.” President Pond says with a sigh, “Anything reportable?”

 

“You can tell them that the perpetrators have been dealt with but remain unidentified, ma’am.” Director Jones says.

 

“And this is why you stay out of politics, Jones.” President Pond says, shaking her head, “The usual suspects are not claiming credit so the press turns to me for answers.”

 

“Our plan is already underway, ma’am.” Director Jones says as he points to the silver metal briefcase on the table in front of him, “By tonight, this will be at Langley for analysis. Team Six’s fake death operation has commenced so it’s only a matter of time until Skull Reich responds.”

 

“We are all seeking answers.” President Pond says with a sigh, “I will be addressing the Nation tonight. Send me something concrete I can use for that.”

 

“Will do, ma’am.” Director Jones says.

 

“What are the movement plans?” President Pond asks.

 

“My team will leave the day after Alena’s funeral.” Fire says.

 

“That is a good gesture.” President Pond says with a nod.

 

“As for me, Madam President.” Dr. Kabeer Wong says, “I shall fly back to the orphanage soon.”

 

“Overall we have the most important details down, the rest we will figure out.” Director Jones says, “I intend to fly back here the day after to take the team to Area 51, ma’am.”

 

“Alright.” President Pond says, then asks, “Anything else to report?”

 

“I can brief you in person in the morning with any new updates, ma’am.” Director Jones says. 

 

“Good.” President Pond says, as she stands up, “Have a safe flight, Jones.”

 

“Thank you, ma’am.” Director Jones says, standing up with everyone. The video call ends.

6.33 pm - Smith’s residence

 

The house is quiet. The lights are on yet the mood is dim. It’s dinner time. Food lay on 3 plates. But the couple is not in the mood for eating because the third chair is empty. Permanently. Max Smith looks at his wife of 21 years, Yuki Smith. The mother of his child stares vacantly at her food through puffy red eyes. All because their daughter, their little dove of peace, is no more.

 

Death is something Max used to be intimate with once upon a time over two decades ago. That was before he met the love of his life who brought him peace. Today, that peace was shattered in unexplainable violence by men with guns. Beasts that, unfortunately, died too soon for Max to lay his hands on them with his chest of tools encased beneath the basement floor.

 

*Ring Ring* The house phone on the kitchen counter snaps Max's attention away from his dark thoughts. He stands up to go and get it because he knows his wife is in no state to answer any calls. No one had called so far because of Max. After identifying his little Irina’s bullet-ridden corpse at the morgue, Max had requested that the military not release the name of his daughter to the media. This was so that he and his wife could have some time to themselves to mourn.

 

Max stares at the family portrait resting on the counter with the phone. Their family, whole on the joyful day of Alena’s graduation. *Ring Ring* Max glances at the number; while not one he recognizes, it is akin to a typical government number so he picks up the phone.

 

“Hello?” Max says.

 

“Hello, is this Max Smith?” The male voice asks.

 

“Yes but I am busy.” Max says in a deadpan tone.

 

“I understand, sir. Can you spare a minute to speak with The President?” The voice says.

 

“The President?” Max asks with confusion.

 

“President Gertrude Pond. I am calling from the White House.” The voice says.

 

I should have unplugged this damned phone.’ Max says in his head with a sigh.

 

“Put her through.” Max says.

 

“Hello, Mr. Smith.” President Pond says a moment later, “I am truly sorry for your loss.”

 

“Did they get all of the people who killed my daughter?” Max asks.

 

“All of the attackers were taken out.” President Pond says.

 

“How did they even sneak into the base?” Max asks.

 

“Our best people are looking into it.” President Pond says, “When we know more, you will too.”

 

“How many others died?” Max asks.

 

“Because of Alena’s bravery,” President Pond says, “No one else was lost.”

 

Max tastes salt on his lips, unknowingly tears have been dripping down his face. Max deflates.

 

“She always loved the navy. She wanted to serve so badly.” Max says, “I warned her against war but she wouldn’t listen. A stubborn little girl who always did the right thing. Always.”

 

“I finally convinced her to only serve in a non-combat role.” Max continues with a dry voice, holding back sobs, “Yet, she couldn’t wait to join the navy. So, she picked up night shift work as a cleaner. She didn’t need the money, she just wanted to be part of the navy sooner.”

 

At some point, Yuki had risen up and joined her husband, squeezing him in a hug as he rants to the President of the United States. President Pond, the person occupying the world’s most powerful office, could do nothing but simply listen to a grieving parent.

 

“I want the animals who planned this, funded this, found and named.” Max says.

 

“You have my word, we will bring the perpetrators to justice swiftly.” President Pond says.

 

Max inhales deeply. Yet, it doesn’t feel enough. Max clenches his fist.

 

“Captain Keyes said you hadn’t clarified if you wanted a military burial.” President Pond says.

 

Max sighs then says, “It’s... what she would have wanted.”

 

Yuki sobs out a little, Max holds her tighter yet the warm hug fails to pierce the frigidity of loss.

 

“It will be arranged.” President Pond says, then asks, “I will be addressing the nation tonight. I am sorry to ask but would you like your daughter’s name to still be kept out of the news?”

 

Max stiffens then answers, “Tell the world her name. Alena.”

 

“Thank you.” President Pond says, “Again, I am truly sorry for Alena’s passing. Your family has the full support of the United States government.”

 

“Thank you for the call, Madam President.” Max says as he hangs up the phone.

 

Mother and Father embrace each other, sobbing. Their daughter is never again coming home.

8.30 pm - President Gertrude Pond addresses the Nation from the Oval Office

 

“My fellow Americans. Today, at 9.11 am, our military base, Naval Air Station Key West in Florida, was attacked by a dozen unknown persons. While our military valiantly killed all of the attackers, many people got hurt due to 7 Improvised Explosive Devices. It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of the dead. There was a hero who risked her very life to alert our military personnel of the sudden sneak attack. Her name was Alena Smith, an all American whose bravery saved lives. I make this solemn promise to her family and the American people, that her sacrifice will not be in vain. We will hunt down the perpetrators of this cowardly attack and bring them to justice swiftly. God bless you. God bless these United States of America.”

1