Chapter 67 – The Last Uniform?
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 8th, 2017

11.35 am, Key West Cemetery, Florida

 

“No parent should ever have to bury their child.” Max Smith says.

 

The bright sun clashes with the gloomy atmosphere. Tombstones serve as stone tablets for those who are below the green lawn, the long gone but never forgotten. 

 

“Never could I imagine that those words would one day apply to me.” Max says to the audience.

 

A group of a few dozen people encircles Max, who is positioned in front of a casket that is covered with the American flag. Right beside is a freshly dug rectangular pit in the dirt. The nearby crowd watching Max numbers less than 50, some of whom wear dark military attire while others wear dark civilian attire. Dr. Wong and General Beggingson are also present.

 

Further out, past the military security, is a group of over 200 stragglers that easily outnumber those formally invited around the casket. A separate yet still noticeable group are the reporters who are busy snapping pictures and recording videos. Standing apart from this group is Ruthless, her hands are empty so even though the badge around her neck identifies her as press she isn’t documenting the funeral. 

 

Meanwhile, Max stands holding his wife’s left hand with his right while staring at the flag-covered casket. Yuki struggles to hold back her tears while Max’s eyes are red yet no tears fall as he speaks.

 

“This moment is my,” Max says as he squeezes Yuki’s hand, “Our worst nightmare realized.”

 

“Alena loved the ocean. She loved the environment. She loved people.” Max says, “She never shied away from being brave, going out of her way to stand up for what she believed was right.”

 

“When she was a child, she would wake me up early to take her to go and see boats docking.” Max says with a chuckle, “She loved ships, and eventually she fell in love with the Navy.”

 

“Soon enough, our little ray of light wanted to serve.” Max continues with a sigh, “And when Irina decided on something, no one could dissuade her. But oh, I tried. Her innocence was too good for war, so I fought with my baby girl. Ultimately, a compromise was reached. The battlefield would not be for her... but she could serve on a base, preferably on home soil, as a civilian.”

 

“I had hoped she would be safe.” Max says after a pause, “This... was too soon. The Navy was her life’s love, and now it is her last uniform.”

 

“Alena only wanted to do what she believed was right.” Max says, “Yet now, we must bury her... The heavens have taken back its angel, our little dove of peace, forever.”

 

Silence follows as Max stares intently at the flag-covered casket. Max sighs, then turns to Captain Mark Keyes and gives a nod. Captain Keyes nods in response then turns to the well-dressed Navy Honor Guard holding a shiny trumpet a distance away and nods. The Navy Honor Guard raises the trumpet to his lips and blows, breaking the silence and filling the air with the sombering song “Taps”. 

 

Two other Navy Honor Guards step forward and lift the American flag off the dark brown casket. They begin the flag presentation protocol, folding the flag with taut discipline from opposite ends to eventually meet in the middle. The trumpet ends yet the Honor Guards continue until the flag is finally folded into a triangular shape. 

 

One Honor Guard gives his corner of the flag to the other then gradually salutes as the last man puts finishing touches. This Honor Guard nods then turns and moves in disciplined grace to Captain Keyes. Captain Keyes receives the flag then the Honor Guard salutes. Captain Keyes nods then makes his way to Max.

 

Observing all of this from further away and in relative seclusion from the stragglers is Team Six dressed in similar dark suits, hats, and sunglasses. Despite the almost half-mile distance, Fire, Shade, Quake, Wave, Spectrum, and Aviator are able to see and hear the ongoing funeral far from immediate prying spies. They all watch solemnly, each in their own thoughts.

 

“Get what you can from homebase.” Fire says softly, “It will be awhile until we can go home.”

 

“Understood.” Spectrum responds.

 

“And check on the kids.” Wave requests, “Please.”

 

“You know I will.” Spectrum says.

 

“Everyone, take the rest of the day off.” Fire says with a sigh, “Regroup at 0900 tomorrow.”

 

Back to the centre of the funeral, Captain Keyes hands the flag to Max and says, “On behalf of the President of the United States, the United States Navy, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one’s honorable and faithful service.”

 

Yuki sobs as Max receives the flag, embracing it against his chest. Everyone watches as the casket is lowered into the earth. Within it is Alena Smith, another dead who joins the rest in rest.

1