Chapter 71 – Purpose?
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 9th, 2017

4 am, London, UK

 

“Sieg Heil!”

 

Seven shadows speak in unison with genderless voices echoing through the virtual space, “Heil, Skull Reich! Our knowledge boundless! Our power limitless! Our path ours! Our sacrifices great! Our lives Forever! Heil, Skull Reich!” 

 

“I call this All-Heads meeting to order.” The Mad Scientist says, “The General shall give his report, 2 days late.”

 

“The clean up operation was a success.” The General says.

 

“Don’t gloss over the details.” The Mad Scientist says.

 

“The clean up operation had three parts.” The General says, “The first was confirmation of the Cancun base destruction. That was a resounding success. The second and third parts involved action at the US base in Florida. Specifically, two метла squads were dispatched. Theta squad to confirm the end of Fire and his team and Zeta squad to retrieve the stolen harddrives.”

 

“Unfortunately, all did not go to plan.” The General takes a breath then continues, “I will let Darya explain the report.”

 

“Yes, my General.” Darya says, “The report I give is primarily from my Siren planted at the american base during the trap operation. She laid the groundwork for the cleanup operation and also tidied up afterwards. Here is her report combined with other intelligence sources.”

 

Beams of bright light shot out from Darya’s dark silhouette to everyone in the room. The lights became floating pages with pictures and images. Each figure scrolls through the shared information in silence. Basilisk and Cajole take notes while Yen speedily scans through the report. The General, Shadow, and Mad Scientist have already seen the report so they simply skim through. After a few minutes, Darya continues.

 

“As you can see, US Marines moved 11 body bags from the location where Team Six was located.” Darya says, “Cause of death was reported as explosives. It is rumored that the explosives triggered the oxygen tanks in the room.”

 

“Says there were no survivors.” Cajole says.

 

“It remains unclear what actually happened.” Darya says, “We have only the outcome.”

 

“So you are not 100% sure that Team Six was annihilated?” Basilisk asks.

 

“We don’t have confirmation of their bodies but the follow up investigation concludes that 11 body bags left the location and were cremated.” Darya responds, “My Siren overheard that some of the bodies belonged to contractors.”

 

“Shouldn’t it be 12?” Yen asks.

 

“Yes but the report states that the bodies were in pieces and already badly burnt.” Darya says, “Meaning that there were only enough recoverable body parts for 11 body bags.”

 

“But it is still possible one person is unaccounted for.” Basilisk says.

 

“All indications show otherwise.” Darya says.

 

“Well, I have heard rumors about the US Marines disposing of certain unidentifiable corpses at the personal behest of the CIA Director.” Cajole adds, “So I support your findings.”

 

“Ambiguous.” Mad Scientist murmurs loudly.

 

“Continuing on.” Darya says, “The major headaches of the cleanup operation was due to the activity of an unknown CIA asset. There are no photographs of the target, just verbal descriptions. A young, white male dressed in hospital scrubs. Seemed only to respond to commands directly from the CIA Director.”

 

“You are explaining your failure with a ghost story.” Mad Scientist shouts.

 

“This ghost single handedly killed our cleanup squad.” Darya says, “The surviving operative was ambushed while setting up a charge around the CIA gray site. He remembers a sudden fiery bright light in his face before he was placed in a choke hold from behind. His attacker whispered to him that he will be kept alive for questioning.”

 

“How are you sure the disruption was caused by one agent?” Basilisk asks.

 

“Because the rest of the base was crippled with chaos from IEDs and communication blackouts. Additionally, our recovered operative testified to overhearing that only one man had acted.” Darya answers, “Whoever this unknown actor was, they probably knew that something was happening at the CIA gray site and were quick enough to interrupt the cleanup squad. This also confirms our suspicion that the CIA Director probably directed this asset before going for further military backup.”

 

“Yes. The report also states that there have been multiple calls between the CIA Director and the President but no idea on the content of discussion?” Basilisk says questionly.

 

“Well her granddaughters were kidnapped, her best elite team is at least incapicated if not dead, and a military base with CIA asset on US soil was attacked.” Cajole chips in.

 

“While we are not sure of the content of the calls, context and timelines suggests those are most likely the contents of their discussions.” Darya says.

 

“She looks even weaker than usual.” Basilisk says with a sniffle.

 

“Not according to her speech.” Cajole says, “Called us cowards to be hunted down for justice.”

 

Laughter rumbles through the room amongst the shadows.

 

“Just when we get rid of one nuisance, another appears.” Yen says.

 

“We are not sure how this new variable would impact our plans.” The General says as he gestures for Darya to settle, “That is why I executed such bold action with Shadow’s help. We have to flush out any other cards the Americans have.”

 

“And that’s why you bypassed me?” Mad Scientist asks while staring down the General.

 

“The mandate allowed that.” The General says as he stares daggers at Mad Scientist.

 

“Just accept that in the end, my science killed Fire.” Mad Scientist retorts, “Blended with my cunning brilliance to turn a noisy region into a reliable source for human lab rats.”

 

“What is the status of the Ascendance serum?” Shadow asks, cutting the Mad Scientist’s rant.

 

“The last result of the cancun lab is highly promising.” Mad Scientist responds, “I already made new serum batches from the results and will have updates in a few short days.”

 

“Excellent.” Shadow says.

 

“In advance preparation for the coming stages, I will forward my required materials list to the General’s capable hands.” Mad Scientist says with palpable sarcasm.

 

“Forward them to Darya. I will be preoccupied readying and distributing our military assets.” The General says.

 

“Fine! And of course, I require a fresh source of lab rats.” Mad Scientist says.

 

“That region is no longer viable as you have drawn the attention of Nova Lotus Foundation.” Shadow responds.

 

“Hmmm… I propose greenlighting Operation True Justice.” The General says.

 

“Ahead of schedule?” Yen asks.

 

“The Americans need a shiny toy to distract them. I also need to study their responses for Checkmate.” The General says, “And the chaos will be enough cover for the Mad Scientist.”

 

“Yes. More chaos, more test subjects, faster results.” Mad Scientist adds, “All those in favor?”

 

Every shadow raises their hand in assent.

 

“Then Operation True Justice is expedited.” Mad Scientist says.

 

“I will activate the assets.” The General says.

 

“And I will send over the crafted stories.” Cajole says, “The terrorism market is a cut-throat industry afterall, branding goes a long way.”

 

“I will begin search and retrieval operations for the Philosopher’s Crystal.” Shadows states.

 

The room falls silent as the shadows observe themselves. The group, reminded of their purpose, is silent. The most mysterious and least spoken of them all breaks this tactium silence.

 

“We work in the shadows but your hardwork will one day be recognized as legendary feats.” Shadow says, “We face a greedy and powerful enemy so we must make necessary sacrifices.”

 

“We must be crueller to ourselves to defeat cruel enemies.” The General adds.

 

“I thank you all for accepting me.” Shadow says, “I am grateful to have such comrades.”

 

“Because of you, we have forewarning and a chance to save ourselves.” Mad Scientist says, “This All-Heads meeting is now adjourned. Heil, Skull Reich!”

 

“Sieg Heil!” All the figures shout.

 

Skull Reich lays the groundwork for the coming days. The room fades into oblivion.

1