Chapter 10 – Ambush
301 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'd have suggested a safer option, especially after experiencing first hand what SPECTRE agents were capable of, but my friend seriously didn't like the idea of just hiding and sneaking away.

"Let's make them remember us, shall we?" Norah suggested as I re-emerged out of the Pokéball onto the moist floor. I pointed my beak towards the fire door, unable to formulate my plan otherwise.

"They still have my bag somewhere and I'll certainly not let them keep my stuff."

 

I would have sighed deeply, if I had large enough lungs. Attempting that was a pointless risk, all of it.

That's when I noticed some sort of power indicator in the corner of my vision, slowly but gradually ticking down. It reminded me of a glorified cell phone battery display.

 

"Pi!" I chirped. My body required some sort of upkeep. The energy must have originated from Norah's phone.

"Doesn't look good." Norah said, tapping against the smartphone's battery indicator. She pushed herself up from the floor, "We really ought to get out of here. You can use Pidgey's attacks, right?"

This question surprised me, since I never put any thought into it. This body was unknown to me, so fighting enemies would be difficult. Building up momentum and ramming into them at speed, claws and beak prepared... - that would have to do for now. 

Norah crouched next to the fire door, wielding the torque wrench as she laid in ambush. Concealing myself in the shadows, my muscles tensed, ready to strike.

We held our breaths, as Tea returned to unlock the fire door.

 

A metallic clang mixed with the sound of cracking bone as the girl thrust the wrench against his arm. Paper, pencils and blood rained on the floor.

The goon howled in pain, but retaliated instantly. Norah didn't expect the rapid reaction, dropping her weapon as his fist bruised her ribs.

As if shot by a catapult, I launched out of my hiding place, pushing air and dust away with my wings. My claws found their target, penetrated skin, sunk into flesh, and carved deep marks into Tea's shoulder.

Pecking the brute's face was cut short by his strong hand squeezing my torso. Various appliances scattered on the floor as I got smashed into a toolbox.

Tea towered over Norah, who evaded his kicks and punches, but she had to give up ground. Chirping in anger, I darted towards Tea's back, ready for another attack.

 

He was prepared this time and smashed me with his elbow. The distraction was enough for Norah to kick back. Bullseye! Tea groaned in agony, but didn't yield. Punch after punch, he forced Norah towards the wall. "We should have offed you, while you were dreaming, whore! Now, you'll suffer!"

Norah ignored his threats. "Ace, use Gust!"

 

I imitated the movement I knew from the game, but nothing happened. My wings just weren't strong enough.

Tea laughed, twisted with pain. "You will die. And so will your pet bird." 

The girl sidestepped, barely evading a kick. Her ankle scraped over the moist wall.

I closed my eyes and fluttered wildly, but the stream of air wasn't strong enough.

The goon's fist missed Norah; pieces of concrete and moss came loose.

As she kicked in response, he caught her leg, twisting it with an echoing laugh, overpowering the girl's call for mercy and the sound of her strained tendons that were about to rip.

 

I concentrated on the dust around us. Some of it was floating, but there were enough dirty surfaces that provided even more. I angled my wings to aim at the thickest layer, reached back, and beat my wings in full force.

The improvised Sand Attack clouded their vision and allowed me another strike. Using my natural weapons, I made sure to deal as much damage as I could.

Ripping out flesh with my beak and claws, my feathers assumed a red texture. Tea screamed, as he fell to his knees, trying to shake me off.

Norah dragged herself up, re-emerging from the dust; the torque wrench was back in her hands. She lifted it up high with both of her hands; then smashed it down with all the strength she could muster.

 

 

8