First Life – Felix Mercel
147 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A cheerful and refined looking researcher, with golden wavy shoulder length hair and emerald eyes that seemed to hold compassion for everything, lifted graceful but impatient fingers, holding something up to his delicate, handsome face. A perfect smile hung on his lips, as if he were softly and tenderly gazing at a cherished lover. In front of him was a vial of strange glowing blue liquid, which he held carefully in the palm of his hand.

There wasn't a single fault in the man's exquisite, chiseled face. An aloof smile was perpetually attached on his lips, and even his intoxicating eyes were filled with a careless gentleness and a scholarly feeling.

'Finally...' he determined to himself after he reviewed the statistical data on the sophisticated computer screen one last time. 'I'm finally finished!'

"This worthless, dull world will finally be completely destroyed!" Felix said between triumphant and hysterical laughs he was struggling, with rising difficulty, to hold back.

He had estimated he would have to wait another tedious year for this virus to be fully developed. An unexpected finding cut his research time he had planned on using until his magnificent dream would come true.

His eyes which fell on the scene outside the window beside him flashed with maliciousness. Instantly cooling down, any emotion in his intense eyes became imperceptible.

Putting the glass vial in a prearranged case, Felix stepped out of the personal lab he installed at his villa he acquired for only this purpose. 

Outside the gate of his residence were a flock of disorganized reporters who had long anticipated for him to come out. Holding cameras and microphones, they yelled over each other, pushing and shoving, demanding to be heard by him, asking questions that were both full of flattery and provocation.

"Mr. Mercel, I heard that you discovered a miraculous treatment for yet another genetic disorder, cystic fibrosis! Do you have anything to say to the healed patients who wish to thank you!?"

"Dr. Mercel, how many resources, that could have gone to more meaningful research studies, such as a cure for the new X13 virus spreading rampantly, have you spent for your own secret use!?"

"Dr. Mercel, when are you going to release your secret research, after your six years of not disclosing anything you experimented on!?"

At the last question asked to him, Felix paused his rapid but resolute steps before continuing to stroll to his car, and with his usual smile he answered, "I'm releasing the last of it right now."

‐---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driving to the destination, Felix thought about the reasons he was doing this. About six years ago, when he made the ultimate verdict to wipe out all of humanity or as much people as possible.

Felix Mercel grew up in an abusive and impoverished household. His father was a gambling alcoholic and his mother was a whorish prostitute. Getting beaten, cursed at, and neglected were all normal, until the age of seven, when he ran away with his five-year-old younger sister, Faithe, who suffered from Huntington's disease, an illness which kills the person 10 to 15 years after they are infected. A policeman who came across them took him and his sister to a destitute orphanage where they never had enough food in their stomach and their clothes were shabby and few. 

At twelve, he decided to get a job to provide for his sister, but nobody was willing to let him do anything. They all glanced at his scrawny, youthful frame and wash worn clothes in scorn and distaste, before dismissing him.

He was desperately trying to make his sister happy with different foods and clothes he got as second hand goods. No one knew how tormenting all of this was for him. He watched with his own eyes as a person he loved deeply walked towards her death, one step at a time. He however, could only face it with a smile.

Three weeks later, Faithe died from pneumonia, which she got from her sickness. 

When Felix woke up the next day, he discovered that the little girl in his arms had ceased breathing. The originally feeble heart beat she had, had already come to a complete stop. The motionless small body mercilessly made reality clear. 

He used his thumb to gently trace her delicate features. Probably because he had prepared for this a long time ago, now that it actually happened, he didn't feel all that taken aback. Because he was in constant pain, watching his own heart gradually die… when it really happened, it felt like he could no longer feel any sadness. Just glacial stillness. 

After a long period of staying by her ice cold body silently he eventually stepped out of their room. This was when Felix resolved to find a cure for all diseases to help other people, after watching how much his sister suffered from it.

This condition of poverty persisted until a month later, when a rich kind looking couple adopted him from the orphanage. They were looking for an heir to their company and wanted someone intelligent and resourceful. They tested everyone on different subjects. Felix passed all of them easily and interacted with them naturally and attentively.

Felix's delicate and androgynous face he had when he was an adolescent became the last deciding factor which convinced them to keep him. 

When he was settled down at their mansion, they hired tutors and forced him to learn everything they thought would sound good if they mentioned him to other people. He took foreign languages, martial arts, musical instrument classes, while going to middle school at the same time. Felix absorbed everything they taught him and perfectly remembered anything he read. 

Slowly, his adoptive parents showed their true ugly faces and abused him. They treated him as a bragging right to the people in public, but in private they treated him as a slave who should be grateful for everything they gave him. 

Ordering him to do humiliating things for fun and giving them a sick pleasure for treating someone so talented as something below them, they completely didn't care for him at all. Even when he was beaten into the hospital by a jealous classmate, they were nonchalant and uncaring.

Felix searched for ways to fulfill the promise he made to himself when his younger sister died in pain. He tried to improve himself until he was able to be accepted by the best high school Country C had, with perfect scores. Skipping three grades in high school, passing all his classes from high school to medical college with flying colors, being admired by everyone he ever interacted with for his act as a gentle and thoughtful person, developing into a world renown scientist who cured cancers, diseases, and genetic disorders at only the age of 28, Felix became thoroughly bored with life. 

To Felix, the emotion that was called boredom had grown into a suffocatingly dreadful feeling. It was a lurking impression that led him to suffer until he felt like clawing his eyes out and banging his skull against a concrete wall to suppress it from lingering in his mind. It was the most unpleasant feeling he had ever experienced in his entire existence, a numbing sensation that consumed the beauty out of everything he appreciated.

He used to cope with it by playing with people's emotions by adopting a facade, using schemes to take what he wanted, and leading a lavish lifestyle. Now even those actions grew monotonous. 

The world became gray and everyone began to appear like stringed-up puppets that he could manipulate with ease. Everything seemed like a dollhouse trapping him in this uneventful and unoriginal world. 

He didn't know why he thought this way, but he intuitively felt like something ingrained it into his very soul. Like he had endured this emotion for an extraordinarily long time before, that it had become intolerable. Even though he had already...

'Had already, what?' Felix stopped his reminiscing by this strange thought, but his mind seemed to be unable to grasp whatever it was thinking. Glossing it over, he proceeded to ponder about what he was intending to accomplish.

The last step to his plan is to take the virus to where all the tap water in the capital originates from, the central water plant. It's mandatory to do this himself or else all the effort he had undertaken, six years of strenuous work, would have a chance of going down the drain because of someone else's mistake.

Felix was already prepared for everything. He had previously obtained permission from the plant owner to visit for an 'experiment' of his. Stepping out of his luxurious car when he arrived, he felt an increasing sense of fluttering excitement he hadn't had in a long while. The suffocating feeling, that felt like a heavy burden on his chest, was slowly lightening.

Walking in with dust free leather shoes, an immaculate suit with no creases, and an expectant, childlike smile that was for the first time in a long while almost sincere, Felix thought everything was flawlessly perfect. Nothing could ruin this moment.

Yet while he was getting more clearheaded from the easing of the destructive feeling, he slowed the steps striding into the plant and started to feel uncertain if he should proceed. Stepping forward somewhat hesitantly, Felix felt that awful feeling anew, crushing his reason to pieces and making it hard to breathe.

'No, it's already too late to quit now. I'm at this last step. Even if I don't do this it wouldn't make a difference to anything. Continue, I have to continue...' Felix thought, drawing in deep breaths and clutching his chest from the numbing and agonizing sensation.

Recovering after a few minutes, he continued to go down in front of the rushing flood pool. He stopped and removed the glass vial from the silver case he was carrying. Breathing in deeply, Felix uncapped the vial and tilted it over gently. He watched in growing ecstasy and regret as the blue, florescent liquid was merged into the pool seamlessly, becoming translucent. In his gentle verdant eyes, there seemed to be a deep and dark whirlpool.

'Now even I can't stop this virus from killing everyone. It's completely out of my control from now on.' Felix mused, gradually forgetting his original hesitation he had a minute ago.

Feeling extraordinarily relaxed and joyful, Felix turned around and left the water plant, not caring that his impeccable suit had become wet from the splashing. Driving back to the villa and falling asleep on his gigantic bed, the last thing Felix thought of was that he wouldn't be the only one going through this horrible feeling anymore. Everyone can share this sensation with me.

The next day, Felix watched the morning broadcast to confirm if his virus had worked as planned. When he discovered that only the national news channel was on, he knew that it did without even watching it.

"Good morning, this is Country C international news, and I have an emergency report to reveal to all of you. At the capital, we have learned that most, if not all the populace in the city, have changed into zombies by the virus affecting twelve other countries so far, the X13 virus. We are still searching for newer information about why this is arising and when this will be stopped." announced the news anchor, sounding horrified and looking pallid.

Switching the television off, Felix slowly smiled in amusement at the alarmed people on screen, indicating how severe the situation was. He glanced down at his intricate watch, confirming the time, and stated, "It should be about time."

Right after he finished speaking, gunshots rang through the neighborhood. Calmly walking outside, he looked at the special forces taking down the walking undead trying to bite them. Getting inside his car, he sped to his public laboratory, the tallest skyscraper in the capital of Country C.

On the way he passed people dying miserably, zombies running after new victims, and special forces helping ordinary people kill them. Humming an upbeat tune and tapping his finger on the steering wheel to the rhythm, Felix arrived at his target. Practically skipping out of his car, he moved through the electronic glass doors. 

When he went to roof of the building, he peered down at the chaotic conflict between three forces, reaching out for the camera he carried to share the view. Hooking it up to his phone, he opened a livestream that forcefully took control of every screen in the country.

He positioned the camcorder at the hair-raising view below first, before shifting it towards himself. Everyone watched the world renown philanthropist say, "Hello, to anyone who is still alive in Country C, this is Felix Mercel, the one who is ending this tedious world today. This magnificent spectacle is the result of the last step of my plan."

In the man's green irises, gentleness and cruelty were perfectly blended together. Under his quivering golden eyelashes, was a virid color as clear as the most beautiful gem. Felix's face had a radiant smile that looked out of place from the dreadful landscape behind him. It gave a discordant feeling that caused him seem like he was the only pure being in that filthy world. Nevertheless, if they genuinely viewed him as he was, they would see a wildly smiling maniac who was receiving profound satisfaction at having produced a living nightmare.

"I don't care if you actually discover an antidote to the virus I spread all over the entire world, but I just wished to inform you, that accomplishing this was just to create a more entertaining life for everyone, which I believe you should be content with. If I sincerely wanted you all dead, I could definitely find a way." Felix used a nonchalant tone to say to the incredulous people still in disbelief that it was him who distributed the X13 virus.

Turning the livestream off, Felix set the camcorder on the ground and rose in a relieved manner.

'I have settled everything, except for the resolution.' thought Felix, while glancing down at the zombies that had smashed through the glass doors of his lab.

Before completing his plan, he had thought of everything he had gone through until now, and he ultimately recognized the fact that the what had actually craved was a release from all his emotions. His boredom, pain, and emptiness and even his satisfaction, contentment, and pleasure which were all momentary.

Instead of boredom as he had thought, what he constantly felt was a weary and infuriating feeling, like his body was weighted down while trying to walk uphill when he was desperately trying to reach the top, but not even the goal he resolved to do in the beginning motivated him anymore.

Felix had been decisive for his entire life. So, he swiftly resolved to do what he felt he needed to do.

Drawing out the pistol he placed in his suit, he positioned it at his head. Felix had a beautiful and refined face, which was usually smiling gracefully and appropriately. The angle of his lips were always just right, and his deep green eyes carried a constant faint smile. Unraveling the facade, he revealed what he genuinely felt on his face for the first and last time since fourteen years ago, when his sister perished along with his will to truly care about anyone else besides himself.

It was a detached and dispassionate face. There was a deathly stillness and exhaustion within his gaze. Felix's lifeless, tired eyes seemed like clear inanimate emeralds.

"I'll meet you soon, Fae."

BANG!!!

5