Chapter 3
81 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Solun was getting nowhere in his search for humans. Months had passed since his rebirth and he wasn’t making any headway in his quest, it wasn’t the lack of effort rather he just couldn’t find any humans in the vast forest. Even if he did manage to come across a human, communicating would be out of the question.

 

Around a month earlier he had left his family for good. Although the foxes usually stayed in families, it wasn’t too uncommon to come across a fox living alone. He had found a suitable cave not too far from the fox clan, it was there he set up his base of operations. 

 

Every day he would patrol the surrounding regions, sometimes looking for humans, other times just to wander aimlessly. At this rate I really might become a fox, he thought wryly. He didn’t mind this kind of lifestyle, however. Living so aimlessly wouldn’t have been possible in his past life, thanks to his studies.

 

It was a cool day, and from the nip in air he could tell autumn was just a hair’s breadth away. He wasn’t sure why he knew; perhaps it was beastly instinct. The arrival of autumn also brought new colors to the forest. The once green forest was now bespeckled by shades of orange and red. 

 

In the void, Solun had never thought he would have the chance to see autumn again. Everything felt so surreal, he was afraid one day he would wake up again in that darkness. That’s why it was all the more important to find a way to communicate with humans fast, there was no telling what punishments disappointing Yod would bring.

 

Yod seemed trustworthy on the surface, but only a fool would trust the self proclaimed deity of deception. He suspected there was more to this than just spreading her faith. It was already strange that she would go about it in such a roundabout way, and there was more amiss. He had never heard of Yod before. 

 

She did tell him that she was forgotten by the denizens of his world, but surely there had to be some records of her left. He was well versed in mythology, having read countless scrolls on ancient gods and elusive nature deities. Yet, to the best of his memory, Yod was not mentioned even once in any of his scrolls.

 

He had a wild conjecture, perhaps rather than forgotten by the mortal world, what if she was never known in the first place? Just who exactly is Yod? He wondered, And why does she need the devotion of mortal beings? By definition, Deities were immortal beings who transcended the mortal limits. He had always assumed that they were indifferent to the affairs of the mortal world.

 

Yod didn’t seem like the vain or frivolous type, there was no reason for her to acquire followers. He was probably over complicating the matter. Perhaps that messenger was right, overthinking could have its drawbacks too. Right now, he knew far too little to be theorizing about Yod’s intentions. 

 

Solun decided to stop thinking for the time being and take a stroll outside of his cave. Stretching his legs for a run was one of the few pleasures he had as a fox. The day was perfect for a nice sprint around the forest. He started off walking, but before he knew it he burst into a full sprint.

 

The orange and red trees passed by in a blur. He may not have been the strongest back in the fox clan, but he was certainly on the faster side. When he started sprinting, nothing could slow him down.

 

“Stop, I said wait, you little bitch! I just want to talk!” 

 

“Leave me alone!”

 

Well, except maybe that. He could make out the voice of a man, probably a brute, judging from his harsh tone. He was chasing after a female who obviously didn’t want to stop and talk. Although he wasn’t knowledgeable on male and female relationships, he had read countless stories of men assaulting females for their bodies. 

 

He darted towards the clamor, vaulting over fallen logs and other obstacles. Let me make it in time!

 

“Stay away from me!”

 

He was nearly there, he could hear their voices just ahead. 

 

“Don’t think you can run forever! Your family is already gone! Why don’t you let me do you a favor and send you to meet them!”

 

Solun could see them now, a plump man was right on the heels of a beautiful young woman in white robes. 

 

There was little he could do as a fox, but he could distract the man long enough to give the girl time to escape.

 

Solun darted towards the man, fangs bared. The fox barreled right into the man, causing him to tumble backwards. Using his jaws he managed to gnaw a finger off before getting thrown off the man.

 

“Aaaarrghh!” The man shrieked, clutching his bloody stump. Solun  smugly stared at the man, he was no danger in his current state. 

 

“Stupid fox.” He hissed, lunging at the fox and pinning it down. Using his one good hand he strangled the fox by the neck. 

 

Is this it? Is this where my quest ends? 

 

“You really are a hopeless man, but I suppose that’s why Yod chose you. You had no chance of beating that mortal. Why did you interfere?” Solun had heard this voice before. It belonged to Yod's messenger. “Her majesty didn’t want to bestow this gift so early but I suppose there was no helping it. Take this, the power of speech. I suppose you’ll also need help dealing with the mortal.”

 

The man loosened his grip on Solun’s neck, and as if sleepwalking, simply strolled off.

Solun immediately ran after the girl. His near death experience would be for naught if he let the girl slip away. After risking his life to save her the least she could do was listen to him preach about Yod.

 

The girl was fast, but no match for his superior fox speed. It didn’t take long for him to catch up to her. The only problem Solun faced now was how to approach her. 

 

Solun leaped in front of the girl and said the first thing that came to mind. 

 

“Wait! Would you like to take a minute to learn about our lord and savior, Yod?”

4