Ch. 2.5 – Longing for Someone
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I still was hesitant leaving the outskirts of Forgetting Forest without Koukei but I know that we'll meet somewhere in Oaphyllis.

Shinna led the way.

"Are you a human, Astralish-san?"

May asked she seem to realize the fact that I'm not an elf only now.

"Ah, y-yeah. Is that okay with you?"

"Mmm! You're not a bad human, right?"

"Hey, May that's rude!"

Shinna straightened May and let her apologize.

"It's fine Shinna. Say, do you miss your parents?"

"Umm, my parents are also sold when I escaped with Shinna-san."

"Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. Then do you want to rescue them?"

I stopped and crouched down. I looked at her to her eye level.

"Mmm! I want to be with Mama and Papa. You're so kind, Astralish-san!"

May smiled and hugged me.

"It must be lonely without your parents," I whispered softly, May and Shinna didn't hear.

I stood up and we continued traversing to Oaphyllis.

...


"Damn it!"

"Where did you go, Astralish?"

Just right after they traveled using the Scaled Salamander. Astralish and Koukei didn't notice they were still in the Forgetting Forest. Koukei realized that Astralish wasn't the one following him but an illusion created by the fog of the Forgetting Forest.

Koukei was already on the outskirts of Oaphyllis in the middle region. He decided to go on with the mission they were assigned without Astralish. After all, he had faith that Astralish would get to the Oaphyllis safely.

He proceeded to enter the middle region of Oaphyllis. The guardsman immediately tried to arrest him until he gave a pass that shows he's a merchant and had business inside Oaphyllis.

"I'm sorry about that. It's just that the Dukes ordered that any unknown traveler mostly humans to be arrested in sight."

The guard sighed. Things were busy here in Oaphyllis.

'It's that bad? I need to do something fast before the reputation of humans in here gets destroyed.'


We soon reached the lower regions of Oaphyllis. It was mostly deserted at first. The row of houses and building were mostly made of stone. I soon saw humans patrolling the street. 'These bastards.' What surprised me altogether was that their uniforms are— from the Baullheart Kingdom— I gritted my teeth.

"Wait, you shouldn't just walk up to them. We'll first go to my Master's hideout and strategized a plan. If you storm in now you'll just die."

Shinna stopped me. She was right. I shouldn't just charge blindly.

...

May was still in terror hiding behind me. We used a different route and head to Shinna's Master's Hideout.

 

We stumble upon a giant tree. We were quite far away from the lower region. 'A tree as a hideout.' The surroundings was filled with much larger trees. I started to think we were in the Forgetting Forest once again.

Shinna stepped closer to the tree; hugging it and she seemed to be looking for something her right hand specifically. Click... as if she found the right switch she pulled it and a long rope or a vine flung out from the top of the tree.

"Let's go."

She carried May and another rope flung out. I grabbed it and looked at Shinna.

"You pull it hard and just standstill."

I did exactly as she instructed. The rope suddenly lifted me as if I just trigger a mechanism. I grabbed the rope tightly as we go up. I could see the far side of the forest. And I could see a colossal tree; its branches covered the whole area. I couldn't see the top of it.

"The World Tree." Shinna blurted out.

"It's beautiful, isn't it? Legends say that the First generation of the elves planted it. And the goddess Afrita-sama bestowed her blessings to the tree. Creating the World Tree as we know, today."

...

We stopped going up and I looked back and a foothold made with wood was glued to the tree. Shinna jumped down and so did I. We walked through the inside of the tree.

 

I laid down my bag and started taking out various potions and scrolls.

"I have these that we can use." I placed it on the wooden table.

Shinna walked back to the room.

"May is sleeping in the next room so we should be quiet." Shinna shushed.

She walked back to another room as if she was taking something.

"Want me to help you?"

I said while I was arranging my equipment.

"It's fine. There's food in the sack over there at the left."

I stood up and took a few that we can eat. I started shifting my glance at the scrolls I just laid down. There are a few healing scrolls left and other offensive spells. I sat down and glance at the potions I had. There are 5 medium health potions, 8 magic restoration potions, 3 night vision potions, and another Paria bottle; not a prototype one.

"You've quite the equipment there. I'll make some food wait a minute."

Shinna put down a recurve bow and a quiver stacked with arrows. She immediately ties her hair up and started cooking.

"So you're an archer?"

"I am a disciple of the Legendary Huntress after all."

"Can I have a look at it?"

I walked closer to the recurve bow. It definitely intrigues me; a disciple of the Legendary Huntress then she must be strong.

"Yeah, sure."

I picked up the recurve bow and I started visualizing myself as an archer. They use a long-range weapon but suffer from close-quarter combat. I put down the recurve bow and sat back to my seat.

...

"Here, I just made quick dishes so I won't it will suit to your tastes."

Shinna placed down a soup filled with carrots, potatoes, green beans, and spinach. I glance at the other dish. It was a pork dish.

"Well, this looks good!"

"Wait, eat this rice with them. It's really good when you eat with a dish."

"What's rice?"

I stared at Shinna confusingly.

"Oh, it's an improved version of ceremily. The Crownless Heroes were the ones who introduced this food. They said it's a necessity when you're eating almost any dish."

"Hmm... they introduced this 'rice' thing? It probably tastes horrible."

I spooned a portion and stuff it in my mouth.

"..."

"Well?"

"I-it's fine. I guess..."

'What the heck are these rice? They are so good with the pork! I'll interrogate them later!'

Shinna looked happily and sat next to me.

...

I probably haven't eaten anything this good before. 'I have to know where to get these rice!' Shinna cleaned the plates and after doing so we started planning.

...

"Can't you sit at the other side, Shinna?"

"Why, are you flustered? Haha..."

Shinna poked my face with her index finger.

'I might die today... of happiness.'

"Fine, I'll sit at the other side just this time okay?"

"Thank you..." "I will not die today it seems..." I muttered softly.

"Hmm...?"

"Nothing let's start shall we?"

I took out a blank piece of paper and laid it down to the table.

"Can you draw the map of their hideout? That way we can pick the best route to use."

I gave her a quill and a spot of ink. She drew the map as best as she can.

...

"Their hideout is not located in the lower region but in the middle region. We can use the secret passage we used from entering and exiting the middle region. There aren't many routes to circle around their hideout. They mostly bought the neighboring buildings near it. But they lock the elves in the basement.

"And that's where we can sneak into. Although I would probably guess they already blocked off that path to ensure no one can escape."

Shinna browsed through the map and looked for any routes she hasn't seen yet.

"How about I make a diversion? That way you can use that path you used earlier?"

"Haven't you heard what I said it's already blocked."

"I have explosives?"

I argued.

"Hah, I wonder if this is going to work though?"

"It will work. After they hear you trespassing their basement. I'll charge right in the building and go to the basement. What, sounds like a plan to me?"

"Can you really fight them alone? I think we should think of another plan."

"We shouldn't waste any time, Shinna. They might be transported to another place before we know it."

I know that charging alone would be reckless. But I feel that tonight is the best time to storm in and rescue the elves. I looked closely at her.

"Just promise me you won't overdo it."

"I promise."

I extended out my hand and Shinna accepted the plan.

"By the way, how are you going to fight? It would be narrow in the basement, right?"

"It's not that narrow and besides. It's not like I can only fight long-range. I'll have you know I have quick reflexes and my agility is not to be underestimated." "Master even complimented that I can surpass her if I tried my best."

Shina crossed her arms and looked upwards posing like a smug.

"Oh really? Then I will look forward to that."

I stood up and started gearing up.

"Astralish, I had wanted to ask for a while now. Did you know that the elves were being put off into auction and used as slaves by the Human race?"

Shinna's tone got low.

"I didn't know not until now. I always thought that the Human race and Elves race were in good terms until..."

'Oh crap, I blurted out.'

Shinna walked closer to me. I could sense she was suspicious of me.

"Until what?"

"In truth, the reason I am here in Oaphyllis is about...

"why the humans declined the peace treaty with the Elves."

'I said it. The General even said it wasn't supposed to be known to the public yet.'

"..."

I looked at Shinna.

"I see, the humans declined the peace treaty. Then you know about the whereabouts of my Master then."

"Wh-what do you mean, Shi"—

Shinna suddenly grabbed my sleeves.

"Wh-where is my Master?"

"I d-don't understand, Shi"—

"Tell me! My Master, The Legendary Huntress, Sephylia-sama!"

Shinna was crying. Gripping my suit tightly.

"I d-don't know..."

"..."

She was trying to hold her tears. I tried to reach her face to clear her eyes. She kept shedding tears. I drew her closer to me as if she had finally given up.

She cried her heart out...

I tried to remember the scenes of the past; the unending nightmare of the Crownless War. Losing someone important to you.

'I wonder how it feels.'

It would probably be like how Shinna reacted right now. A deep sorrow, loneliness, and longing for that person.

...

Hesitant footsteps came closer to the darkroom...

 

It was May.

"Are you fighting with each other, Astralish-san?"

"N-no we aren't fighting, May."

May walked closer to us.

"Why is Shinna-san crying? Did you do something Astralish-san?"

"I d-did."

I felt partially guilty. I accepted this quest without knowing anything. 'Ahh... I'm an idiot.'

"I know it wasn't your fault, Astralish-san."

May grabbed my hand and looked at me.

"Thank you, May. You're a great kid."

I patted her head. Shinna didn't stop sobbing she grabbed my suit tightly.

"Astralish-san, rest with Shinna-san for a while. I know that you're going out of your way to help me. And I appreciate you and Shinna-san for everything."

"May, you don't need to worry about that. You just need to smile, play, and love your family. Like every kid does."

May smiled.

'Saying things like that... She must've been through a lot.'

I slowly sat down and Shinna was still grabbing my suit tightly. She was sleeping.

...

"I'll make some tea, Astralish-san. Please let Shinna sleep on your lap. After Ray-san stayed behind to help us escape she kept calling her Master. She couldn't take it anymore."

"You must've been through a lot, May. I know that you're also holding it in right?"

May placed a cup and pour some tea at the wooden table.

"I just cried my heart out to the other room earlier. I guess I would also like to sleep on your lap, Astralish-san"

May stepped closer and sat next to me.

"I'll let you some time but Shinna is sleeping."

May leaned to my shoulder. I slowly stroked her hair and patted her head.

"You've done well holding it in, May."

Time seemed to slow down at that moment. They both fell asleep as I stared blankly at the tea reliving the memories of the past.

"I wonder how it feels to have someone important."

I muttered.

...

 

0