Chapter Two Hundred and Forty Three – 243
1.4k 7 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Don't Forget! Two Chapters Out Today! Navigate Back One If You Haven't Read It!

New Month, new Patreon drive! Now is the best time to read 34 Chapters Ahead! https://www.patreon.com/necariin 
Extra chapters continue for Journeyman Tier on Saturdays through August!

"Intent and Resonance are both important to any grand working. But it is Affinity which defines the result. Keep careful watch over it."
 
-Landrus k'Nand, 1458, Second Age
 
 
Zara Cyrene was late.
 
She was not in a habit of being late. The Grand Harmony was built upon exacting intervals of time, and the Cantus Sodalus had long stressed that its Chanters emulate its benign punctuality. Trailing Felix as he worked upon the Territory Quest had helped her hone that ability, but it had also strained her in ways she had not expected. She had been sent to find the Unbound, gather them and educate them, but she hadn't expected to care. His near encounters with Primordials and the Divine—impossible as it seemed—had put her will to the test. She had nearly intervened.
 
Compassion was not always a virtue. Not in this.
 
The wild days following the Inquisition's defeat and DuFont's death had since occupied much of her time. From teaching the young ones more about the Grand Harmony to giving what aid she could to the new Lady of Haarwatch, each and every moment had been filled with the fervor of enterprise. It was an invaluable opportunity for the Cantus Sodalus to gain influence on a rising ruler, and one with true System Authority? Even stunted as it was by DuFont's  unwise expenditures, it was a powerful tool for any ruler.
 
Already Quests has been issued, and not by the System, but by the Lady Boscal herself! It was a revelation to Zara, a way of interaction with the System that none but the Hierophant enjoyed. Evidently true System Authority holders could issue Quests in relation to their Territory, though so far the only ones they had been able to access were requests for raw materials like ore, monster cores, stone, and lumber. The people had gotten to work quickly, but it was a long haul toward getting Haarwatch on its feet.
 
Still, Zara had great hopes for Cal, and for their continuing alliance.
 
That exuberance had led to her current quandary. She had become wrapped up in the new challenges Cal faced and had lost track of time. So now Zara rushed, flitting through the rain-soaked streets on a late summer's evening, headed for the quarters she had long thought destroyed. The walls remained standing, however, as well as the expensive glass at the front. Above the door a nine-pronged star greeted her, a decoration from an older tenet, yet it had proven strangely prescient. Who would have guessed the Unbound would have come to her as a Nym, albeit one on his way to something far stranger.
 
She passed inside.
 
There were no books within—they had long been moved to another location—and the inscribed sigils upon the walls had long faded in potency. She caressed them as she passed, igniting them with a minor effort of Will, and was greeted by a rustle of phantom feathers. The rafters above her head filled with close to two hundred birds, varied in type and level to a casual Analyze, though harmless enough. As she passed the counter one specific avian, a small but fluffy owl, landed atop the weathered surface.
 
"Sing the song of passage, milady," it chirped in the common tongue.
 
Zara smiled, lips over her sharp teeth, and let out a short, melodic whistle. From her lips came the sound of thick paper turning in calloused hands, and the creak of cured skin, bound with glue and thread. The small owl let out an appreciative hoot and flitted back up to the rafters.
 
"Keep an eye on the door," Zara murmured before moving into the back room.
 
Hidden along the side of her office was a second door cleverly built into a false wall. No magic or music hid it away, just tricky engineering. She tripped the disguised latch and in she went, closing it behind her.
 
Within was a long, narrow room that smelled of sage and must. At the far end, to which she hustled, there was a basin of water atop an elegantly carved wooden stand. The basin was made of beaten copper, and it was empty. Another whisper of Will set aquamarine power flowing down Zara's fingers and into the bowl until the liquid Mana began to swirl rapidly in a counterclockwise motion.
 
A note escaped Zara's lips, a sound that reverberated in the narrow room as if it were an amphitheater. Blue and gold briefly flashed in her vision as the System noticed her song, but soon the aquamarine increased, and the swirling Mana rose out of the copper basin. All at once, it formed into the shape of a skull. It was followed by tendons and muscle and skin forming over the skull, layering over itself until it formed a facsimile of a floating, withered head.
 
"You're late," the head accused.
 
"Forgive me Mauvim, it has been a busy day," Zara said with bow of her neck. "I have been advising the new Lady of Haarwatch, guiding her in the power she now finds within herself. It is remarkable what power true System Authority grants a person."
 
"Babysitting nobility, newly made or not, was not your task. What of the Unbound?" Mauvim's voice was sharp as a whip, and Zara thought she heard a note of worry. "Is he ready for what is coming?"
 
"He is..." Zara let herself trail off, her Spirit tracing the faint connection she had with the boy. He stood somewhere to the west, most likely the Wall again. "There is still work to be done."
 
Mauvim hummed to herself, her jowls quivering. "Then you must push him. Things are changing quickly. Word has spread, along back channels and secret messengers, of more arrivals."
 
"Did our people find them first?" Zara asked, and it was as if a fist clenched her heart.
 
"Unclear. Silence has taken hold. The Hierocracy received word of a 'Great Threat' to the south and has sent its paladins to seek them out. Three entire battalions into the Expanse." Mauvim shook her head and continued. "Early word from Isla is that the Unbound has taken the form of a Minotaur of all things, but I've not heard from her in weeks. Regardless, if the Expanse doesn't kill the Unbound, the paladins will."
 
Zara frowned. The paladins were worse than the Inquisitors, and far stronger. "Does Isla request aid?"
 
"She wouldn't even if she could. You know the scrutiny she faces in the sands."
 
Zara did indeed know. The Quiescent Expanse was nearly as anathema to Sorcerers as the Hierocracy, if for different reasons. "And of the others?"
 
The tiny head of her mentor harrumphed. "Little is known. To the north we’ve heard rumors of a Gnome with strange powers, and the east is as quiet as ever, but that is to be expected. The border lets little through, even information on the strains of Song." Mauvim fixed Zara with a single, unblinking eye. Rendered of Mana and catalysed Spirit it was far more elastic than her true face, which the ancient Sorcerer only used to enhance her meaning. "Your experiment. It is through? He is truly Nymean?"
 
"Yes," Zara nodded. "Things and information has changed since last we spoke, however." She swallowed, a bit nervously. Though she had reported the results of the Territory Wide Quest, she had not gone into much detail in her last missive. When last she had fully reported in, Felix had just arrived back in Haarwatch. With quick words she explained the events that had unfolded the past several months. Mauvim, for her part, listened with increasingly boggled eyes.
 
"...and that brings us to now. We have the city under control, and we're attempting to shore up defenses before any more redcloaks arrive or the threat of the Archon manifests once again."
 
"Two cores? Divine and Primordial?" Mauvim muttered to herself. Her Spirit lashed wildly from fear to hope and back to terror. "And his Race...he has become a Primordial? But what of the infection? The curse all Primordials suffer under?"
 
"Entirely absent," Zara said, though she couldn't quite believe it herself. "The Maw's influence nearly ruined this region, but when Felix absorbed the last of it all of those changes were nullified. Somehow they boy is free of the Blind Gods' curse upon Primordials, though we have not yet dared to experiment with his blood."
 
"Remarkable," Mauvim breathed. "Denied a god, a Lost one no less, and fought off an invasion. He is the greatest candidate yet, Zara. We must bring him in. The others need to meet him."
 
"That is the plan, but...the dangers here are not to be ignored. There is much to do before he can access the interior of the Continent." Zara could feel the wounds in the city where the Archon's Mark had cut into the ambient Mana. "The Archon must be dealt with, once and for all."
 
"Very well," her mentor sighed. "Little is known of your true situation in the west, at least as of now. But word has spread of the Foglands opening up for the first time in recorded history; that would have been impossible to hide. The Inviolate Order was clearly suppressing it before, but now the new spreads like wildfire among the merchants. Talk is of rare resources the likes of which we've never seen. Your little town will be awash in new presences sooner rather than later. You do not have much time to get him out of there before things get further complicated."
 
Mauvim drew herself up, for all that she was a projected head of Spirit and Mana. "The Order is making moves. Your dispatch of the Master Inquisitor was felt, even here, though the Grand Inquisitor has not yet taken action. She sits within the Enclave, still. As long as she remains far from you, you can remove your threats with time enough to secure the Unbound." Mauvim paused again. "I feel a quiver in your Spirit. What is it?"
 
Zara grimaced. "A few redcloaks survived, and they ride for Setoria with news. To report that Haarwatch has fallen to a Primordial."
 
"What!?"
 
Zara bore witness to a great many curses and off-color phrases, ones she had never before heard in her long life. So many that the ancient woman eventually ran out of languages and merely sputtered in rage.
 
"I will see what can be done about Setoria. But we run short on time, all of us," Mauvim managed after a while. "We cannot tarry. Events are pushing forward faster by the day. Is this Felix worthy? Will he serve?"
 
"The boy has made questionable Choices, some of which he hides. But I believe he is worthy, yes," Zara nodded to herself, letting conviction swell within her Spirit. "I believe he will serve against what comes."
 
"He must. They all must. The darkness on the horizon has begun to blot out the edges of the Song. It is faint, but the seers all speak the same. Ruin advances."
 
Mauvim fixed Zara with ageless eyes. "We must all be ready for the war to come."
 

 
Felix stood upon the battlements of the Wall, peering again into the darkness of the forest. The sun had set and three moons were hovering before him, two blue and one silver. The Twins and Siva. He glanced at them, his Perception enough to make out their pocked faces and empty seas. Other than their color they seemed so very similar to the moon of his home, yet his Affinity tingled.
 
Vellus was chained to her own moon. Are the other gods the same? He chewed his lip. Am I staring at more gods?
 
Pit let out a derisive note as he flew by, buffeting Felix with wind and making him laugh.
 
"Yeah, I'm not a fan of the gods either at this point," Felix said to his Companion. "Makes me wish I could go back to being an atheist. At least then it was just other people trying to screw me over."
 
"What was that?"
 
Felix looked up and saw Hector Ty'nel stepping out of one of the Wall's many enclosures. A Human of middle years, he was around the same height as Felix and bore a well groomed goatee. He was wiping a series of styluses on a rag that sparked in the dark.
 
"Oh just complaining," Felix said. "Pit's a good listener, even if he won't sit still."
 
On cue, Pit dropped from the skies with a clatter of claws and eight hundred pounds of muscle. The orichalcum battlements rang like a gong as he hit, each claw striking a different tone. Pit pushed against Felix, nuzzling his giant head against his chest in a way that was at first endearing and then quickly annoying.
 
Treat?
 
"You big pig," Felix muttered and pulled out a ream of jerky he'd had scrounged up earlier. Pit snagged the whole of it, gulping it down in an instant. "Hey! Some of that was for me."
 
Pit put his head down, feigning regret, but Felix could feel the jerk's Spirit. He was happy as a clam.
 
"I've got some food from my wife, if you want to share, Felix," Hector offered. Felix happily took him up on that, giving Pit a squint and grimace.
 
Pit trilled out pleased birdsong and leaped into the air, already taking laps again.
 
Pit's Flight is level 39!
 
Hector laughed. "He's a handful, that one. Still can't believe you've tamed a chimera, though."
 
"Tame is not entirely accurate," Felix said with a smile. "It's more of a partnership thing."
 
"Aye, a Pact. People've been talking about it since you saved the city," Hector sat down and pulled out a large, hard-bottomed satchel. He started pulling out various cloth wrapped items, and Felix's mouth watered. "I've heard quite a few have gone looking for their own Pact to make."
 
Felix sighed. "Yeah, those idiots below are all clamoring for me to tell them how to do it. They don't particularly care that it has drawbacks."
 
"Ah the Fiend's Legion," Hector laughed and handed Felix an unwrapped sandwich. Felix's Voracious Eye took it in: roast avum, onions, some sort of lettuce knock off, and thick brown bread. "You can't really blame them. They see you, how powerful you've become, and they want to emulate that. Kind of flattering, I think."
 
The Fiend's Legion was the name of the self-styled defenders of the city. They had taken up watch over the massive hole left in the Wall by the Apollyon, and were preventing any monsters from entering the city. There hadn't been many in the past week.
 
"You deal with it then," Felix groaned and took a bite. "Oh holy crap this is good," he said around a mouthful.
 
"I'll pass the thanks along to the cook," Hector said, beaming. "Nea hasn't had much time to cook, what with all the brewing and concocting she's had to do. Been living on what I could scrounge from the grocer down on Echo Lane, but Nea got mad when she heard. She went all out for tonight."
 
Felix smiled as Hector spoke. His voice was warm and he could literally hear the love he had for his wife in his voice; it rippled across his Spirit with such clarity that it humbled him. Felix and the Alchemist hadn't always been on the best terms, and it was interesting to see another side of her.
 
"How's your kid doing with all this? Amaya, right?" Felix asked. "Hard as this is for us adults, I can't imagine dealing with it so young."
 
"She's handled it well, though mostly that was because we found your camp so early on," Hector shook his head. He stared out over the battlements, back toward the city. Lights were picked out among the dark shapes of rubble and ruin, but far too few. "The first few hours, after the tower fell? It was a nightmare. Things are coming around now, slow as it is."
 
Felix nodded. He'd been unconscious for a large portion of those early hours, but he'd heard enough tales to last a lifetime. Revenants rampaging across the city, the Eyrie collapsing, people across the city dying in droves. He couldn't help but feel guilty about it. So much of what happened had been—well not his doing exactly, but he had been involved.
 
Guilt didn't have to make sense, he'd found.
 
Hector and Felix talked and ate, weaving between topics of sigaldry and his family life. Amaya was a cool kid, a bit precocious, and reminded him of Gabby. His sister, the one he'd left on a boat with her hurt friend.
 
God, I hope they're both okay. That mom is okay and isn't missing me too much. The thought made him sad, enough apparently for Hector to notice.
 
"Sorry, I can go for days when I talk about my kid, ya know?" Hector smiled and wiped his hands. He began picking up the discarded cloths and replacing them in his satchel. They had worked through the large spread very quickly, but that was to be expected of folks with Journeyman Bodies. They needed the energy, especially if they were gonna work all night again. "You ready to get back down there?"
 
"Yeah, might as well get back to it. There's a lot to go," Felix said. He stretched and tried to think happier thoughts. Like all the Skill levels he'd gained since he'd begun this project.
 
"We're a bit away from the foundational arrays, but you're learning fast. We should have this Wall working again in a day. Two at most." Hector patted Felix on the back and walked back into the enclosure, where a set of spiral stairs led down into the guts of the Wall.
 
Felix hung back, looking at the sky. Stars were spread across the cloudless night, more than he'd ever seen in his life, and he could pick up a dark shadow flitting across them.
 
Back at it, Pit. Keep an eye on those dorks down below, yeah?
 
A single, hawk-like cry cut through the dark, and affirmation thrummed across their bond. Felix nodded to himself and got back to work.

 

Announcement

PATREON

$3: 10 chapters ahead of RoyalRoad
$5: 15 chapters ahead of RoyalRoad
$10: 34 chapters ahead of RoyalRoad

https://www.patreon.com/necariin - Patrons at the Journeyman Tier receive 1 extra chapter a week all of July AND August!


VOTE

Also, it always helps if you vote on TopWebFiction! Brings in new eyes to the work.


DISCORD

Check out the story Discord server where you can talk to me directly. I'm on throughout an average day, and will answer questions if they aren't too spoiler-tastic, and occassionally post art.

If you haven't yet, please rate or review the fiction! It's appreciated.

Big thanks to all my patrons! And thank you all for reading!


My Discord!     Top Web Fiction!     Patreon!     r/Webfics!

39