Chapter Two Hundred and Forty Six – 246
1.3k 2 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
New Month, new Patreon drive! Now is the best time to read 35 Chapters Ahead! https://www.patreon.com/necariin 
Extra chapters continue for Journeyman Tier on Saturdays all August!
Felix left Elle with a promise to visit her before long, though she about twisted his arm to extract it from him. She was a relentless as she was strong. He was just glad she liked him; Felix wouldn't want the city's premier armorsmith as an enemy.
 
Frankly speaking, Felix didn't want anyone to be his enemy. He'd had enough of those to last a lifetime.
 
He reached the steps of the new Haarwatch Manor, home to the new Lady of Haarwatch and its fledgling government. The steps were steep, leading up another terraced hill that must have been three hundred feet higher than the square he'd just left. At Felix's insistence, they had built the steps with several different gaits in mind: the larger steps for Humans, Elves, Orcs and two inlaid segments of shallower steps for Gnomes and Goblins and others that had a shorter stride. Oveh had done the work perfectly.
 
He could have jumped his way up the steps, or flown on Pit, but along with a rejection of governance Felix didn't want to draw attention to himself. Landing in the new local government building on the back of a chimera was something of an eye catcher. Instead, he walked quickly up, taking the steps two or three at a time with an easy grace. All that Agility and Dexterity really paid off. He reached the top in seconds.
 
A wide open area had been excavated to house the base of the Manor, though to Felix's eye it was more of a tower. The thing took up as much as a city block, after all. The stonework was rough so far, without Oveh's deft touch. Maybe Cal would let him play around with the outside of it? It was roughly circular, with tons of pillars and porticoes that framed a courtyard filled with wide expanses of dark soil. Greenery was to be planted there he had been told. That architect they'd saved the other day was really proving his worth. The place looked...regal.
 
"C'mon, bud," Felix nodded at the entry. "Should be plenty big enough for us both."
 
Pit warbled.
 
The main entry was big enough to let Pit in, despite being bigger than a horse now. Most of that was wing, which he could tuck up, but it was nice to see his friend not having to duck anywhere. Felix knew Pit felt a little sad he wasn't small anymore, especially whenever they went to sleep. Little man loved to cuddle and now he was too big for beds. Felix sighed and scratched his Companion behind his ears.
 
The interior of the entryway was tiled and spare, with two sweeping staircases leading to an exposed balcony and further areas beyond. A few guards dotted the area, each of them dressed in half plate armor with a sword and axe at their sides and their faces completely visible. Cal's office was located on the second floor, at least for now. The two of them walked swiftly across the floor. The tiles were covered with dirt and rock dust despite the valiant efforts of a few Untempered servants. It felt like walking across a freshly mopped hallway right in front of the janitor. Felix pulled an apologetic face, but the servants didn't even look at him and neither did the guards; their Spirits all shivered in fear.
 
Oh, right. He was the Fiend and he had a giant chimera with him. No wonder they were afraid. Faster, Pit.
 
They fairly flew up the stairs, bounding up five steps at a time. Felix was careful not to break the stone behind him, but his shoes were really taking a beating. He'd have to replace the simple leather boots in the morning. He nodded at the guards along the path, and they let them through without comment.
 
On the second floor, they passed several empty rooms, most devoid of even furniture. The sound of a ruckus grew louder the farther along he went, however. At the far end of the hallway was a larger chamber, practically a ballroom, and this one was filled with people. Inside was a crowd of Half-Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, Goblins, Gnomes, and Humans. He thought he spied another Race or two mixed in there, like one of the birdlike Korvaa, but the press of folk was too tight. There had to have been three or four hundred people in there. Everyone was lined up before two large tables, and most of them were armed and armored.
 
Felix spotted the Regis and Holt—former Elders of the Protector's Guild before the Master Inquisitor destroyed their Charter—they were behind the tables and speaking in measured tones to each applicant. Because that's what this was, he realized. They were all applicants to Cal's new city guard.
 
"Next!" Holt announced, as the Human before him walked through another door on the far wall.
 
Interesting. Felix wondered why the two of them were allowed to stay on in positions of authority. Far as he knew those with Guilder connections were given the greatest scrutiny. Too much bad blood. They moved on.
 
Cal's office was not much farther, secured behind a large double door that looked like it was made from a whole tree. Each door was easily fifteen feet tall and six feet wide, made of a dark-stained wood but otherwise curiously blank. Four newly appointed Haarguard were standing there, two to a side of the large double doors. One of them held up a gauntleted hand.
 
"Civilians are not allowed into the Lady's offices. Please take yourself and your pet—"
 
"Poul, no. That's the Fiend, man," one of the others whispered. Felix didn't recognize any of them, either from their camp or around the city. "And that's Pit."
 
The guard, Poul, looked between his friend and Felix in horror. "Oh, sir! I'm—I'm sorry to—I didn't mean—"
 
"Hey, don't worry about it," Felix said. "You're just doing your job. I'm just going to visit Cal—uh, Lady Boscal—real quick."
 
They all moved aside, but their eyes never left him or Pit. He could feel a mixture of shame, awe, and no little fear in their Spirits. Felix frowned. His Affinity was useful, but against folks that had zero defenses against it, he had to pull back on the reins a bit or else he started swimming in their emotions. For now he waded through it, and the two of them entered Cal's offices.
 
It was a large room, one of the few that had been actually furnished. Expensive looking couches and tables dotted a seating area near an unlit fireplace, while pieces of framed artwork had been hung  sporadically from the painted plaster walls. There was even a chandelier. The wall opposite the door was composed entirely of windows, and it looked out over the city. Specifically in the direction of the Wall. A massive desk sat before it, currently overflowing with parchment and scrolls. A woman with short, tawny hair and dark eyes that looked tired. She perked up when she saw him.
 
"Oh, Felix! I had just sent a messenger for you," Cal said as she stood and stretched a kink out of her back. A stack of papers threatened to topple but she stopped it with a quick touch. "You finished at the Wall?"
 
"For now," Felix groaned. He sat down heavily in an armchair. He regretted it when the thing creaked ominously. "Hector and his team are moving steadily through it, removing the Archon's influence and getting things up and running. He thinks the basic arrays will all be functional by the end of the night."
 
Cal looked relieved. "Good. We'll need it."
 
"Why? What's going on? Why did you send a messenger for me?" Felix asked. Cal's Spirit was more guarded than others. He wasn't sure if it was a Skill or just a very good control over her own emotions, but he couldn't really read anything deeper than surface exhaustion. Pit sat on his haunches beside him, piping inquisitively.
 
Cal smiled at the tenku's tilted bird head. "I'll explain in a moment. We're waiting on the others."
 
The wait was relatively short.
 
"—said 'keep up' not kick me off the stairs!" There was a distant grunt. "That does not qualify as training."
 
Evie finished the last bit as she walked into the room, followed by a smiling Harn.
 
"Everything is trainin' long as you do it right," he said, and laughed. The man wasn't wearing armor, but some sort of jacket and pants. Pit warbled in delight and bounded over to the two. "Oh, Pit's here."
 
"Felix! You here about the Quests too?" Evie said excitedly.
 
"Quests?" Felix looked at Cal, who smiled.
 
"Let's just wait for everyone else," she said.
 
Hmm, Felix drummed his fingers on the arm of his chair. Quests, huh.
 
Quests weren't easy to find, typically. Felix had gotten a hold of a quite a few, but most were hidden by prerequisites and accomplishing specific tasks first. Your average adventurer wouldn't see three Quests in five years, according to what he'd learned. It was no wonder that Evie was excited. Quests were a way to gain rewards of gold, Titles, or even new Skills. Apart from all of that, they also awarded Experience, which was always needed to advance in the Continent.
 
Felix eyed his own Quests, the new and the old.
 
Quests
Home Sweet Home!                    3 of 5 Threats Eliminated
Shrines of the Broken!               1 of 7 Shrines Found
The Proving!                                   0 of 5 Spells at Adept Tier
The Door of the Lidless Eye!    Unlock the Door
 
Quests. More trouble than they're worth, I think. Felix poked at his first—and oldest—Quest.
 
Home Sweet Home!
You have found a safe place in the wild Foglands, an ancient Temple long thought lost. You are charged with securing your ancestors' Temple from all threats. Be wary, young Nym for your trials have just begun.
3 of 5 Threats Eliminated
Reward: Title, Home, Variable
 
Threats:
Seven Legged Orit
The Risi
The Archon
The Unending Maw
Unknown
 
An impossible task. One of the threats was a Blood Beast created by the Maw, another was an incursion of five hundred Frost Giants. Then the defeat of a Primordial older than any civilization on Earth. He'd managed all three of those things, though not without mishap. The Archon was  a continuing threat, one that Felix knew would be just as challenging as the Maw had been. Not only that, but there was another entirely unknown threat out there too. Felix shook his head. Maybe he'd get it done one day, but he'd rather stay away if the threat curve kept moving as it had.
 
If only the Archon agreed.
 
The door opened again, letting in a towering mountain of muscle and armor. The man was nearly seven feet, half that wide, and was wearing armor similar to the Haarguard's own, if...fancier and covered in rock dust. Behind him were two other men, both in identical armor though much cleaner. Felix saw the guards outside the room saluting to them as the door closed.
 
"Bodie, Yan, Kelgan. Thanks for making it here so fast," Cal said. Her voice was as exhausted as ever but Felix heard life returning to it slowly.
 
Yan, a bald man with a sharp goatee, elbowed Kelgan in the side. "See? Told ya the girl'd get her before us."
 
"Unfair. Harn hadn't even told her two minutes ago." The spearman rubbed at his ribs, but gave Yan a small handful of copper stones and silver swords—local currency. "We had to hoof it across the whole burnin' tower."
 
"Ain't a tower, numbskull," Yan corrected as he walked far enough into the room to claim a seat. "Haarwatch Manor. It's more stately."
 
"I see a big round building, I call it a tower," Kelgan groused.
 
Smart dude, Felix thought with a smile.
 
"Wouldn't miss something so interesting," Bodie laughed. The big man gave Harn a handshake and nodded across the room at Felix. "Felix. How's the Wall?"
 
"I was telling Cal. Hector thinks it'll be ready by morning. For the basic protections at least," Felix said, then gave him a lazy salute. "Captain."
 
Bodie rolled his eyes. "You call me that here and I'll have to use your title, Blue-Eyed Fiend."
 
"Oh, still using that one? I prefer the Titan Slayer," said Evie. She'd found a couch and balanced on the back of it. "Has more punch, ya know?"
 
"Nightstorm."
 
"Stonebreaker."
 
"I heard someone calling him Thunderbird just this mornin'," Yan said, before tapping his chin thoughtfully. "Though that mighta been for Pit."
 
The tenku preened under the attention, but Felix groaned. His Tempered skin flushed so hard it felt like a fever. "Okay, okay, I give up. You win."
 
Those merciless bastards laughed and laughed.
 
"Hey, did I miss the joke?"
 
Felix peeked over to see Atar and Alister walk into the room. They were dressed in battle robes made of some sort of silk and hardened plates of enchanted fabric. Very expensive looking, and each one well tailored; purple with orange accents for Atar and a deeper blue for Alister.
 
"You're late!" Evie said. She'd gotten food from...Felix looked around and didn't see any out. Did she carry it with her?
 
"Thought you two were at the Wall?" Felix asked instead.
 
"We were...hours ago. Some of us sleep, Felix," Atar said. "Wait, were all of you up?"
 
"Meditating."
 
"Rubble reclamation," Bodie said with a shrug. That explained the dust.
 
"Arms training with the fellas downstairs," Yan said and Kelgan nodded.
 
Harn grunted.
 
"Absolute madmen, all of you," Atar said. "At least Alister had the good sense to..."
 
Alister winced in feigned chagrin. "I had some ideas on array designs for the new waterworks."
 
"We have to inscribe for seven hours tomorrow! You're going to make me do all the work?" Atar's perfect coif was already becoming undone at the prospect of labor.
 
"I'm sure he'll be up for the task, Atar," said a new voice. Zara had slipped into the room,  apparently behind the two mages, and was busy pouring herself a glass of water from a pitcher on a side table. "But I believe Lady Boscal has some news for us."
 
"Oh, Zara. Have you seen Vess?" Cal asked.
 
"She was mopping up some monsters in the rubble. I passed the word and she'll be along when she can," the Naiad said.
 
"Good enough, I suppose," Cal said and motioned at the door. A shine of sepia suffused the thing, revealing a glyph taller than Felix. He picked up silence, and wall from the thing before it faded. A muffling ward. "Now that you're all mostly here, there are a few things we all need to discuss." Cal stood and swiped her hands through the air. A blue box bordered in gold filigree chimed as it rotated into view.
 
New Territory Quest!
Enemy of the State!
You have a hostile neighbor that threatens your Authority. End the threat.
 
Rewards:
+10 Levels
+Increase in Authority
+Title
+1 Gold Chest
 
"Noctis' tits," Evie breathed. "These rewards."
 
"Ten whole levels? That'd be a boon and a half," Kelgan said. "Hard enough earning any once you cross level fifty."
 
"Levels are nice, but I'm more interested in that Gold Chest," Yan grinned and rubbed his hands together. "Lieutenant Yan needs a new sword."
 
"Funny, Portia was telling me the same thing," Kelgan laughed. Yan shouted and shoved the spearman, which only made him laugh more.
 
"Hm, 'hostile neighbor' sounds suspiciously like 'Archon,' to me," Harn grumbled over the two bickering. "How come it doesn't say?"
 
"Quests aren't known for being helpful," Cal said with a sour twist to her lips. "Haarwatch's got two neighbors: Setoria down the Verdant Pass, and the Foglands. We already know the Archon wants us dead. The problem I got is I don't know if Setoria does too."
 
"Why would they?" Yan asked, distracted from the punch he was trying to throw at his friend. "We're all part of the Hierocracy, right?"
 
"Because a contingent of Inquisitors fled over a week ago," Zara said. A shocked hush fell over everyone, and Felix stood up.
 
"Fled to Setoria? To do what?" he asked.
 
"To report that the city has fallen to a Primordial," Zara said. Neither her face or Spirit betrayed anything as to what she was feeling. "They go to call on the Grandmaster Inquisitor."
 
There was a beat of silence before the entire room erupted in chaos.

 

Announcement

PATREON

Beginner Tier - $3 for 10 chapters ahead of RoyalRoad
Apprentice Tier - $5 for 15 chapters ahead of RoyalRoad
Journeyman Tier - $10 for 35 chapters ahead of RoyalRoad

https://www.patreon.com/necariin - Patrons at the Journeyman Tier receive +1 extra chapter a week all of August + September!


VOTE

Also, it always helps if you vote on TopWebFiction! Brings in new eyes to the work.


DISCORD

Check out the story Discord server where you can talk to me directly. I'm on throughout an average day, and will answer questions if they aren't too spoiler-tastic, and occassionally post art.

If you haven't yet, please rate or review the fiction! It's appreciated.

Big thanks to all my patrons! And thank you all for reading!


My Discord!     Top Web Fiction!     Patreon!

36