Chapter 1 – Introduction
71 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

" The year is 1750 A.M. (After Mana). It has been 1750 years since the emergence of Mana. Mana are unique abilities that are granted randomly to an individual sometime during their adolescence. Nobody truly knows how Mana came to be a common occurrence among humans, though many theories point towards a natural evolution of Humanity and some non-humans. Of the few definitive facts about Mana, the most commonly known is that Mana are completely random. They spawn in humans at any age, from birth to death. There is also no known correlation between a parents Mana, and their childs'. This is one of the few reasons that many believe that Mana did not spawn as a result of evolution, but through some other extraordinary means. The truth is, nobody knows where Mana came from, whether it be evolution or something else supernatural. All anybody truly knows is that Mana have become a foundation of our society: they have created businesses, professions, even entire kingdoms. . . . That is my paragraph on the history of Mana. Thank you for listening."

" Great job Michael! Everybody, clap for Michael."

While the rest of his class was clapping dully, Michael sweetly smiled at his teacher, with adorable dimples, and then went to sit back down at his desk. While the second student sat up to present their paragraph on Mana, Michael lost himself in his thoughts. He dreamed of finally awakening his Mana and becoming a super strong adventurer. He hoped for something powerful like his sissy's Mana which allows her to absorb and combine cold and hot weapons. He dreamed that he would become the first adventurer to conquer the entire forbidden continent, which was a no-mans-land of monsters and fatal forests. 

Eventually, Michael lost himself in his daydreams completely, no longer paying any attention to the class at all, much to his teachers disappointment. She had tried everything she could to fix Michael's daydreaming habit. Unfortunately, nothing she tried had worked, and all she could do was leave him be. Luckily, apart from the daydreaming, Michael was the perfect student. He had top grades in his elite, private school class, something which is extremely hard to achieve. He was also very sweet, he was always the first student to offer her help when she needed it. Even when the other kids call him a teacher's pet, Michael just smiles and waves it off. 


When the school day finally ended Michael was the first one up and out of the class room. He ran outside to a nondescript black car that was extremely clean looking. Michael could just barely make out the silhouettes of his parents inside of the car. His mother was the first to see him, so she stepped out of the car in order to help her young son get situated inside of the car. 

" How was school today son? "

" It was alright, but I could barely wait until it was over. I can't wait to go to the doctor today! "

" Oh yeah? Why is that? '' It was his father who asked that, seeing how Michael was so excited. 

" Dad! You know that my Mana is going to be tested today. "

Mana testing can take place at any age, though most people don't start testing until the age of six, since that is the best age to start training Mana. Testing for Mana is important because it isn't common that a Mana awakening actually causes a noticeable reaction. It is also important because the machine that tests if Mana if awakened can also give a general idea of a Mana's abilities. Most families that can afford it, like Michael's, typically start testing as young as is safe, which is typically around 1 year or so. 

" What, really‽ Rose, did you know anything about this? "

Rose, Michael's mother, smiled at her husband Gabriel. Even though she knew her husband wanted to tease their son some more she simply couldn't keep up the gag when Michael's almost luminescent amber eye's turned to her, with tears threatening to fall. 

" Enough teasing honey, Michael looks like he's about to cry. Michael, relax, of course your father knows what today he is, he is the one who set the appointment. "

When Michael heard his mother he looked at his father's small smirk and realized it was the one he always had when teasing his family.

" DAADDD‽ Stop teasing me! "

" Alright, alright. . . . How was school today? "

" Boring. All we did was present our essays today and regular boring classes. " 

" Well did you at least do good? "

"Obviously mom. I aced it easily. "

" That's my boy, taking after his father! " Gabriel was a man who took pride is his children's accomplishment . . . By claiming them as his own. 


The rest of the ride was spent in fairly idle conversation. It was mostly Gabrielle and Rose trying to distract Michael from his nervousness. This was his sixth time being tested and if his Mana hadn't awakened yet, Michael would be the latest bloomer in his family.

When the trio reached the fancy private clinic with some of the highest rated doctors in the country, Michael jumped out of the car ahead of his parents. He was almost to the door of the clinic when his arm was grabbed by a large, masculine hand. When the young boy turned around he saw that it was his father, who had a frown on his face.

" Michael, how many times have we told you not to run off like that? It is very dangerous. I know you're excited, but you never know when their could be someone around who wants to kidnap you. "

Michael hung his head at his fathers' reprimand. 

" I'm sorry dad. "

Gabriel's tense face slackened and his oak colored eye softened; he dropped on one knee and wrapped his arms around his son. 

" It's alright Michael, I'm just worried that something could happen to you. Our family has many enemies, and they would all love to take you from us. " 

Michael nodded his head which was still buried in his father's muscular chest. By that time Rose was also standing next to her husband and son. 

Some would wonder why they wouldn't have guards if their family had so many enemies. Truth was, both Gabriel and Rose had powerful Mana. Gabriel's was called creation, with it he could create almost anything technological as long as he knew the components. Seeing as he owned a massive, multi-faceted engineering company, and was the lead developer in said company he could create many, many thing. Rose's Mana was called Word's of Power, with it her words literally held power. She once created a storm with nothing but a sentence. Rose was a very famous adventurer in her younger years, she conquered a portion a the Forbidden Continent alone. 

After the moment between father and son, the family walked into the clinic. The inside didn't look too special, the walls were a light yellow color. On the far left wall was a line of ferns growing that Michael enjoyed, to the right was a sitting area. On a typical day the sitting area would be full, however, Gabriel rented the place for the day. Obviously, the receptionist desk was directly in front of the entrance, around 25 feet or so. 

The main practitioner was waiting in the entrance for the family. The Lilith Family had been going to this clinic for years, it was where they took their oldest son, their daughter, and finally, Michael. Obviously, this meant they were familiar with the process and after a few pleasantries, Michael was laying in the Mana Scanner. 

Rose, Gabriel, and Scott, the main practitioner, watched intently as Michael sat in the scanner. The scanner scans for the necessary energy for people to use Mana. The reason for the machine is because if Scott's Mana, or Mana of similar type are used on someone without Mana Energy it could really damage the body. The reason for that is because most Mana of that type stimulate the recipient's Mana, and if someone doesn't have the necessary energy it could drain the bodies fat as a substitute. In children and most adults this could be fatal. 

After around five minutes of deep scanning Rose and Gabriel were starting to feel nervous that Michael's Mana hadn't awakened. Obviously, there are instances of people awakening their Mana later than six, however six years old is the best time to start training. Plus, Gabriel, Rose, and both of Michael's siblings had awakened their Mana at 6 years old or earlier. 

Right when the parents were about to give up, they heard a ding and saw a light flashing on the machine, it was green indicating that the machine, had indeed, discovered Mana energy in Michael. 

" Yes! You did it Michael! " That was surprisingly Rose cheering, her bright orange eyes almost shining. She had been waiting 6 years to learn her youngest child's Mana. Gabriel was just as excited of course, he was just a lot better at hiding it than his wife. 

When Michael was finally released from the machine he shot up with a loud shout of cheer. 

" I HAVE A MANA! Finally! "

" You do indeed my son, however, you are not done yet. We have to let Scott discover your Mana. "

The instant Gabriel said that Michael's excited eyes turned to the the amused Doctor. Honestly, Michael reacted similarly to how both of his siblings reacted.

" Are you ready Michael? "

" Yes! Yes! Yes! "

" Then sit down and relax. "

Once Michael was settled down on the exam table, Scott placed his hand on top of Michael's groomed brunette hair and activated his Mana. With the activation came bright rainbow lights trailing through Scott's palm and into his head. Scott's head shot back and his eyes rolled back into his head, and his muscles all over his body tensed like they were cramping. 

Typically, the use of Mana isn't so dramatic, however Scott was having knowledge literally inserted into his head causing his bodily reaction. 

After a minute or so of this show, the lights stopped and Scott's body untensed. His breathing was heavy, likely because he hadn't inhaled or exhaled at all during the process. 

The Lillith's allowed Scott to relax and catch his breath, before they asked him what he learned.

" Michael's Mana is vague. It is called Concept Imbuement, what it does is it allows Michael to insert an idea or concept into something else. Like making a butter knife warmer to cut butter better. "

If an outside party had been in the room they could have almost felt the tangible disappointment rolling off of Rose and Gabriel. How could they not be after all, Rose and Gabriel both had powerful Mana. Their children Benjamin and Miriam, had the Mana Metal Control and Weapon Lord respectively. So to hear that Michael's Mana could help him . . . Cut butter better? It was almost appalling to them. 

" That's so cool! "

The tense atmosphere was broke by Michael's excited shout. He was only six, an intelligent 6 year old of course, however, he still didn't understand his reality. He didn't know that his Mana would be seen as an embarrassment for his family. He didn't understand that with a weak Mana he would never realize his dreams of becoming an adventurer. All he knew was that he finally had a Mana he could train. He could be like his brother and sister who had famous ex-adventurers as tutors. 

" In order to use your Mana, all you have to do is use think of what concept you want to imbue onto whatever you're placing it on. "

Instantly Michael tried using his Mana on his clothes. Surprisingly, it worked the first time and his shirt started to glow a bright neon green. 

" Mom! Dad! Look! "

Rose, as disappointed as she was instantly activated her "mom mode". Her body language perked up and and her voice was excited.

" Good job sweetie! Able to use it on your first try, that is very impressive. "

" I know! It took Benjamin and Miriam a long time to figure out there Mana. "

" Son, their Mana are a lot more complicated than yours is. So it would take them a little more time. "

Rose backhanded her husband's shoulder at his condescending words. Thankfully, Michael didn't notice it. He was too distracted playing around with the color and comfort of his clothes. Already, he had learned that he could make them feel like silk or cotton, and change the colors however. He decided to wait till he was home before experimenting more. 


After the Lillith's left the doctor's office the drive home was much more quite than the one to the office. This was mainly due to Rose and Gabriel being caught up in their thoughts of Michael's weak Mana. 

When they got to their inappropriately large mansion, Michael attempted to get out of the car, however, his arm was grabbed by Gabriel. 

" Michael, before you go inside, we need to talk. "

"What about daddy? "

Gabriel's face looked pensive for a second before it hardened in what seemed to be determination. 

"Son, I know you are excited about your Mana. However, there is something you need to realize. Your Mana is weak. "

" What? What do you mean? "

Michael, like any six year old, started to tear up when he was told what he was told. His eyes bore into both of his parents, their amber color seeming to darken to an orange hue closer to his father's brown eye color, than his mother's orange.  

" Son, in order to be an adventurer you need to have a Mana with a lot of power. Like you mom, she can command and summon storms with words. Your brother can control multiple tonnes of steal, even being able lift multiple cars and throw them around causally. And you've seen your sister practicing, she is able to combine an smg and rocket launcher to shoot dozens of rockets a minute. All of these are Mana with the required power to be an adventurer. Being able to change the color of your shirt or cut butter better isn't powerful enough to cut it as an adventurer. "

By then Michael was completely crying and he ran out the car into the mansion. Gabriel and Rose both looked upset, however, they realized the necessity of what was said. If Michael continued to have dreams of being an adventurer he would not only embarrass the family he would possibly put himself into danger. 


That night Michael cried himself to sleep. Due to that he didn't truly rest for the few hours he was asleep and he unfortunately woke up hours later at around ten o' clock. When he woke up he was thirsty so he decided to grab something to drink before he went back to bed. Unfortunately, he came across a scene he would have been better off not seeing.  

His parents were sitting across from his older siblings in the upstairs lounge area. 

"So that is why your brother was very upset today."

" Heh, so the little twerp has a weak Mana? I saw it coming. "

Although his sister teased him often, the words had never hurt so much. 

"Miriam, don't talk about Michael like that. He is still your brother and he is still apart of this family. He will need extra protection from now on to make sure he is safe. He won't be able to protect himself like we all can. "

His brother, despite his wanting to protect Michael made the boy feel even more vulnerable and depressed. 

" He won't be able to follow in any of our footsteps. I don't know of any Lillith worthy jobs with a Mana that weak."

His father, almost always thinking of the family name made Michael feel worthless as though he shouldn't have been born. 

"Don't talk like that Gabriel. Just because Michael won't be able to elevate the family name doesn't mean that he isn't a Lillith. Perhaps he can take a less esteemed profession, like teaching maybe. "

His mother, the one who would always encourage Michael made him feel as though he shouldn't even try. 

Once again Michael ran to his room to cry. Though, that time he wouldn't be asleep for many, many hours. 

 

 

 

Magical

Ab-

Normal

Abilities


So, thinking back on it, I realize some people would think that Rose's and Gabriel's reactions may seem unrealistic. However, I like to think o it like a difference in culture. In ancient and modern times, a lot of parents neglect and sometimes abandon children who are disabled or even challenged in day to day life. In this world, mental and physical disabilities aren't as common as in our world, due to Mana that can heal them. On the other hand, many families would consider a weak Mana as a disability, especially high class/ noble families. This is especially due to them not being able to be fixed. If anybody has any questions or simply wants to talk about the story feel free to comment or even send me a message. 

3