[Chapter 1] Character Creation
902 10 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Guess it's almost time." I stretch my unused body, feeling it crack and pop.

Ah yes, by almost time, I mean the time for the famous (or should I say infamous?) Serithic World to finally come online. 

I let out a slow breath, calming my heart as my eyes move to the clock on my wall. As for what I was doing before? Obviously, it was staring into a blank wall as I waited for time to quickly pass me by. You do it too, don't deny it...right?

Ahem, anyways the digital screen displayed an accurate and precise time of 8:55 p.m.

If you guessed that it was being launched at 9 p.m. Congrats! You're a smart cookie, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'm sure there are many things you might be wondering, such as: 'Wait, who are you?' and 'How are you talking to me?' or 'What's up with this Seri-whatever nonsense?'

Since I have five minutes to spare and that I don't feel like doing anything else, I'll entertain you!

First of all, my name is Kai Adair. My family is off at work and I'm alone in the house on a Friday night. I don't really care though, I'm a gaming otaku anyways! MMORPG's are my specialty!

On to the second question, I'm sure everyone has at times imagined themselves an audience right? I do that quite a lot as well, especially since real people talk gets messy really quickly...

Anyways, Serithic World is well a VR game with explosive media attention.

Nicknamed S-World, critics have widely insulted it and debates soared high into the clouds. Ohhhh, but why person talking to themselves?

I'll tell you why audience! 

It all stems from the fact that there was no Beta-Testing, prompting other companies to swiftly counter-attack with all sorts of random claims. After all, S-World would be the world's first fully immersive game, different from the mainstream VR Helmet gear that has limits of realism. With that much attention placed on this game, the media ate it up. Debates rose every minute, a whole lot of wasting time and not researching the game. It got so absurd that even I hesitated.

So what did I do anyway? Bought it. I had to get the Human-Capsule VR System as well. (Yes, that's its name don't ask me, okay?)

Now, are you wondering about how I'm so confident in this decision? Or, how I managed to get such a thing as a student? Wondering if my pockets sting at all at this expense?

You are? Wow! That's perfect because I'm sure this fits with another question I'm sure you have as well, are you really that lucky?

The short answer, yes, yes I am.

Long answer, yes, but not with people. 

It simply kept increasing as I grew older. So, quite confident in myself, I rolled a die, evens to get it, odds to not.

Tada! Evens. 

It also assured me that a certain S@O situation wouldn't occur with this game. 

And you know, my pockets don't hurt at all! (I won a raffle, haha...)

Carrying on, S-World didn't really help the situation. They simply stated that the game has passed testing, protocols, and is up to standards. They even said that it's above standards!

Well, to sum it up simply. Top of the line! Huge expansive world! Skill-Based System! Realistic events! 

All of these claims and adverts, of course, people will grow curious. Even if it faced backlash it managed to sell out and get its pockets filled.  

Any attention is good attention huh...?

Er, anyways!

That, my folks, is when the promo video finally came out. It could be said that there was complete silence around the world for five minutes.

It was simply astounding.

Oh look at that, it's about to be nine!

With that, I swiftly leap from my chair and head towards the opened capsule. Another moment later, and I'm in and ready for take-off. 

I watch, my heart practically beating out of my chest, as the built-in interface counted down the seconds for the game's opening. 

5 4 3 2 1

Game Launched, Logging On.


 

I blink. 

What should I say something else?

Alright alright, let's do this again. That was just because of the momentary shock I felt as the game finally started. 

I dazedly blink my eyes, finding myself now inside of what seems to be space itself. The place wasn't warm nor cool, but I could still feel myself breathing, or whatever kind of breathing mechanism they implemented.

A few moments after getting used to floating in midair, a pop-up appeared.

[Start Character Creation?]

Alright simple enough.

Except...How? Well, let's bring up our handy-dandy multiple choice sheet!

[How Do You Choose an Answer?]

A. Think 'Yes'

B. Say 'Yes' 

C. Type 'Yes'

First is first, let's try thinking 'Yes' in our head!

...

Yeah, no real response.

It's expected, if a computer could read your thoughts, that's practically asking for lawsuits to come your way for 'Invasion of Privacy' or anything else they can come up with.

Now's not the time for me to dwell on that however, it's time to start making my character!

"Yes"

My voice doesn't echo, it's like the space around me completely engulfs it in its entirety. But before I could continue my contemplation, the next screen appears as the one before disappears.

[Input Username]
 
Almost immediately as I read it, a holographic keyboard appeared in front of me. (Why didn't that appear in the first place...?)
 
Even if I wanted a new start from my past experiences and games, I'll do the same name I've always done. After all, it was the username made by my sister.
 
My fingers twitch slightly, but I reach towards the keyboard and typed it in smoothly enough.
 
[Confirm Username 'Elegiac'?]

"Confirm." Immediately after my affirmation, the screen disappeared, and a new one popped up.

[Class Selection]

[Warrior]

Receives: Basic Wooden Sword and [Slash] Skill

[Ranger]

Receives: Basic Wooden Bow, Basic Wooden Arrow (10), and [Shoot] Skill

[Thief]

Receives: Basic Wooden Dagger and [Stab] Skill

[Mage]

Receives: Basic Wooden Staff and [Cast] Skill.

Huh, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Basic classes for basic players right?

I've already decided before I came here though. With resolution, I select the [Warrior] choice. 

Then, the window once more dissolves into nothingness and, a new window once more comes up.

How long is this going to go on...? Can't you let me select it all up front...?

[Avatar Editor]
[Use IRL Form as a Model?]

Ah, the company that made S-World did mention this aspect.

Alright, then let's choose 'Yes' for this as well! It's not like I'm a particular looker, I just think it'd be weird looking at yourself and seeing a stranger...

Though, I do edit my eye color to an ordinary brown from its original blue. 

[Processing Character...]

Well, that was rather simple...Hey wait a minute, isn't there usually a [Race] selection? 

I know that I complained about it being long! But that's not my fault y'know!

Where are the Elves, Dwarfs, Beastmen, and all of that?!

Wait. Oh? Hm! Doesn't this mean everyone defaults to Human!

Wouldn't this make my style of playing so much easier!?

This means I don't need to constantly mix-match my race to my class! That I can focus on perfecting my class without worrying about the other details! Hoorah!

I did a silent victory pose in my mind, not in the space, who knows who could be watching?

...

Well, while I wait for the progress bar to fill, I'm starting to wonder why the IRL Form is an optional component? This game claimed to be ultra-realistic but with magical aspects after all. I understand cosmetic choices if you don't want people IRL to recognize you, but you can change other aspects of your body (to a realistic degree) like your height as well.

If you thought deeply into it, the likeliness of people who chose to change their physique would have a harder time adjusting to their new form.

Ah but, most VR Games like to satisfy the players at all costs, and they use the real body as the base before plopping you into an avatar in a weird way. We usually call players who choose these 'Meat Puppets' because their line of sight might be from their stomach instead of their head.

Of course, you could always pay to make your form feel more like your form.

Ah, I've gotten too sidetracked now! Focus focus!

Look! Another screen popped up!

Obeying my own commands, I look over and expect it to say 'Character Completed, Thank You for Your Patience.' or something along the lines, but my hopes were too high, for what shows up is...

[You've Been Selected for a Chance to Select a Unique Skill]
[Begin?]

Damn it...

22