[Chapter 5] Information Gathering
581 7 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I say get started but...looking around me...

I'm still in a deserted alleyway, ha ha ha!!!

Enough of my outbursts though, let's retrace my steps and go back to the population. Simple enough, a few steps here, there, and-

"Fresh piping-"

"Hot and spicy-"

"New items straight from-"

"Sir and madam over there, would you like to try out-"

...Oi, I landed in a marketplace!?

However, my lack of awareness sure is scary, I was just letting my senses go, and I ended up here. W-well, it's okay to distractedly walk in a town anyways, s-so, it wasn't as if I was making an amateur mistake because I was a little nervous!

Ahem, anyway, it looks like there are several players around as well. I can't see their usernames or anything (guess I'll have to get closer to see it?) but I can tell by the bracelets on their wrists. Also, the garments are pretty similar.

There are some variations, but the color scheme is pretty much the same (the robe wearers are probably mages) with grey and brown. Seems like some people are checking out their interface and others are already interacting with the numerous shopkeepers in this street.

I should probably go find someone to talk to as well but...with who exactly?

They all look busy...I'd hate to be a bother...

...

Wait, these are NPCs, they're meant to be talked to.

Actually, aren't I making excuses for myself to avoid speaking?

...

M-maybe I should go practice talking in general first, the most talking I did this month was with those staff members-

As I stepped backward to esca-I mean-to find a more quiet place to speak to an NPC, I noticed a particularly empty stall with a low density of players around it. Even from afar, it looks gloomy and the more skittish of the players walk speedily away from it. This is when I had a revelation.

Taking earnest steps over, I find myself facing...a butcher stall with a tough, but warm-looking uncle. You see, I realized, if I had walked away or done something against the norm, the chances of accidentally stumbling across a hidden quest line was far too high. It's fine if I get one later on, but I want to properly experience the beginning parts of this game, alright!

Imagine, getting a quest and focussing solely on that, and before you know it the common sense and meta of the average player is nowhere in sight! People would worship you as some godly player and you wouldn't be able to play the game as you please! Not speaking from experience, okay...

Though, if it wasn't for the unique skill I got, I probably wouldn't take on any secret quest for as long as I played this game.

Right, so that's why I'm here instead of that stall! Well, I managed to make it over without being squashed to death, so something to be thankful for already. Optimistic thoughts, right?

"Hey little lass, what can I do for ya?" The stall owner speaks, chopping up a leg before wiping some sweat off his brow.

Okay, okay! Easy enough does it, this is an NPC! Ignore the people around you! Focus mind!

My eyes don't at all shake as I look at him, oh, and it seems a tag is above his head.

??? [NPC-Butcher LV ?]

Don't know anything yet? Maybe I need to increase my level, hmmm, but for now, "Hello sir, I was, er, wondering if you knew anything about the Adventurer's Guild?"

Aye! That was a good sentence! Good job me, but stay on focus.

"Call me Hibaien, sir isn't a suitable name to be called by ya!" He let out a small laugh, "But the Adventurer's Guild eh? A lot of people have been asking around about it lately, might have something to do with the monster population growin' lately. You youngins always wanna go out and do something big. But ya have to know, that place isn't somewhere who takes slackers ya hearin' me?"

Woah, woah, woah! Slow down! So many words just got consecutively said, but I have the gist.

"I'm no slacker, sir- er no, Hibaien! Positive, I'll be a great addition!" Ah, I unintentionally said that louder than I meant. S-seriously, I'm thankful this place is so loud now. I can feel some heat crawling up my skin, maybe I'm at my limit already haha..

The hearty uncle looks at me for a moment (I didn't mess up already right??) and just when I'm about to run away and say farewell, he speaks, "Well little lass, I like your spunk! The Adventurer's Guild is past this place, north of the plaza. Ya have to walk a bit before ya see a big old board askin' for talented recruits."

He keeps spouting words at lightning speed and all I can do is nod endlessly, at the very least I got the information. Just as I thought he was finished, he asked me one more question.

"Now, there's an entrance fee there as well, 500G, not too outrageous, but it ain't a small sum. However, I know a fella or two and can get ya a recommendation to bypass it if ya do me somethin', ya willin'?"

Oh, oh? I guess this is a continuation quest, choose to pay the fee or complete a quest to get rid of it. Well, the obvious answer is to do the next quest, right? So, without thinking much deeper into it, I agreed.

By the way, when he spoke his name, the question marks above him cleared away.


 

Away from the chatter, I'm now in a clearing in the woods, crouching in a bush. Soon after accepting Hibaien's quest and listening to where I needed to go, I felt my wrist vibrate twice. I took this as my chance to run, no, say farewell to the marketplace, and now I'm here.

[Adventurer's Guild]

A place established to ward off and cull the monster population.

They're also known to help those in need and have planted a network to allow all adventurers to speak with one another.

It possesses a ranking system and other features to train those worthy into strong heroes of the world.

Each guild location has a habit of being biased to their country of residence, however, this doesn't affect transferring of residence.

[Beginner Quest Chain: Hibaien's Offer]

[Description]

Hunt Five Horned Rabbits and Gather 1 Horn and 3 Pelts
Hand Them Over to Hibaien

[Reward: Recommendation to the Adventurer's Guild]

Then there are these things I got, the source of the vibrations on my wrist. As for why I'm in this clearing? Well, it's obvious now, isn't it?

Ah but first, maybe I should explain why I'm crouching here.

First of all, it's to not startle the rabbits.

Second of all, it's because I needed to rest my mental state.

It might have been because that uncle's aura was really relaxing or something, but for the most part, I managed to get through the conversation fine.

However, as I was leaving, I messed up, I really messed up.

When I stated my goodbyes and began rushing away, I thought I had managed to avoid contact with anyone else, but still, someone with disheveled hair stopped me. Who knows what they wanted, but I flinched at their contact and ended up having them bump into another player. Hard.

Then, seriously, what were they thinking? They started arguing with each other! I didn't see it since I ran away, but I could hear them throwing fists and saw the guards arriving to stop them.

Ahh, I managed to cause trouble again. I really hope I don't see them a second time!

22