[Chapter 20] Finally Some Sleep
138 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ruminating over the careless mistake won't do me any good, I could only take Miriam's frequent apologies as compensation. 

"I'm really sorry about that, hahh..." After apologizing for, I believe, the fourth time, she heaves a sigh with a face molded into a thinking one. 

Her head tilts to the floor in deep thought. Not long after, she begins to mumble some incomprehensible words, "Hmm, no good, how do I repay this debt..." Not really sure what she's saying, should I interrupt her at this point...? 

Before I could carry out this thought, Miriam snaps her head back to me and blurts, "I know! Why don't I tell you about the solo dungeon—" she pauses abruptly and looks back down, "—no that's not right, how could I repay a favor with something that can be easily gained by asking?" 

She's started mumbling again...

Thinking back on it, this NPC really did like to talk, didn't she? I feel like I zoned most of it out by accident, though.

Oh yeah, the solo dungeon. I can't say that it doesn't intrigue me a bit. Like, a lot, to be honest. But, if I enter, it's basically going to be a big flag that gets me some overpowered gear, right? Ugh, but I don't want to not try it out just because of a possibility. Well, I kinda feel like it's a guarantee instead of a possibility.

Amid my dilemma, I suddenly notice an encroaching shadow and-

"A solo dungeon? Sounds cool, what is it about?"

"Sounds interesting, what is it about?"

A sudden overlapping of voices convulses my mind into shambles. An entirely strange voice of someone I do not know. But, it's not the fact that there's a stranger behind me that sends endless shivers down my spine.

My hands grip the wooden ledge in front of me, knuckles turning white from my unnecessary force.

{Even this aspect is programmed in?}

I think to myself in a daze.

"Huh, are you alright?" The voice behind me asks. Miriam also seems to have snapped out of her thought process to greet them.

I robotically nod my head, as if I was a Tin Man who needed oiling. Not quite noticing the bloody taste in my mouth.

"Tha-thanks Miriam, I-I need to go." Pulling back my hands, I avoid looking at the player behind me and rush out.


 

I feel like I'd be sick of running, but it just seems like I escaped from the cold shackles of my heart.

Uhm, to be honest, I don't really know why I ran? Dear audience, I'm as confused as you are. Or, something like that. Really, just trying to sort my thoughts out right now.

Like how I said (well, thought), it wasn't like I knew who that person was. I mean, I'd recognize if it was the person in the forest before, and definitely if it was the people from this morning. So, why?

My mind retraces its memories, trying to figure out the reason for my reaction. But, there doesn't seem to be any.

"Not only that, I can barely remember that encounter now," I groan out loud. A feeling of exasperation hits me. Seriously, I must just be too tired.

I guess I should be able to sleep by now. How long have I gone without sleep again? I didn't manage to sleep last night. I did rest my eyes at least but hmmm...

At least twenty-four hours without sleep?

Wow, thinking about it now, it does seem outrageous.

Ah well, let's log out for now.


 

As I emerge groggily from the steel capsule, I see numerous dark spots in my eyes from having gone up much too fast. Rubbing them, the dark spots gradually fade away to reveal my semi-dark room, lit up only by the sun's rays filtering in between the curtains.

I shake my head slightly and push away the clinging hairs on my face. Seems I sweated a little, lack of air-conditioning, perhaps.

Slowly, I pull myself up and move out of the capsule, nearly slipping on some dirty clothes but catching myself in time. Ah, I should so wash those. The high school requires a school uniform so I only really washed them. I'm just...too tired to clean the rest, I guess.

Stepping around the collected clutter, I sort of wonder why my parents never say anything about it. It's not like they don't know. They check my room to see if I'm asleep every night anyway! Why didn't they stop me and let it get to this point?

I would have cleaned up if they asked, probably.

Well, it's not like I'm going to clean up now. This thought drifts away as I slouch over, finally reaching my lovely messy bed.

My head lays on the sheets, tilted to the side and staring at the light that danced on the blankets. Blinking drowsily, my hands reach up to touch it.

A lot of stuff happened today. Some debt repaid, a dude avoided, and a gal unavoided. This all happened in a single day, huh. How complex, it's not even night and all sorts of things occurred. A bit unpleasant for it to be crammed in a single day.

...

I'm tired. But, I'm not willing to close my eyes yet.

The rays glide over my head like a warm touch from the palm of someone's hand. With that, a memory from long ago is loosened.

"Kai, are you enjoying yourself?"

...A familiar voice that shouldn't be here. An illusion it is for sure. However, I can't help but answer in my heart.

'Yeah, despite everything, I'm enjoying myself. I can experience the full beauty of the sun, the blue sky, and the feeling of running until I'm out of breath; I can meet all kinds of people, bad or good, that will never know who I am. I could just walk out to experience the same, but I know it wouldn't be the same. For me, this is at least the best alternative.'

"Is that so?"

The numbing light of the outside mindlessly drifts in through closed curtains. There's a mind fixated, staring for an unknown amount of time before gradually closing off into sleep.

I said I would be able to upload a chapter a week a bit ago...

But, I ended up going on vacation without my computer!

Really, I'm so sorry...I feel like I need to apologize as much as Miriam...

I wonder if people read this still?

I feel like I need to refine everything >->

3