Chapter 4: The Village of Laughs
44 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bazaar was filled with people as expected. I leisurely roamed the countless stalls selling various goods. Tomaetwos, chikin eggus... Wait a moment. How did I manage to pick up this world's language? I would understand if it was God that gave me the ability, but I doubt so, he does not seem so generous. And besides, I do not seem to recall such an ability or skill while looking at my status. Hmmm... Could it be... I unconsciously picked up the language by listening from the kitchen while cooking? Seems to be the only logical explanation. After all, it does take approximately 2 years to learn most languages, I doubt this one is much different.

While I was musing about my apparent talent in acquiring new languages, I notice a little kid wearing a brown robe that had its hood covering their face standing in the middle of the bazaar's crowded square.  It may not sound peculiar, to find people standing around in, a place that was made for people to stand around. But who brings a little kid to a market and then just leaves them there? Surely not caring parents at least. And besides, which kid doesn't cry when they are lost and without their parents, anyway? Fearing that I may witness a potential terrorist attack in another world, which is probably already a novel title, by the way, I immediately turned around, started speed walking, all the while saying "nope!" under my breath. While walking away I thought to myself a quote by someone famous probably, "You can do anything you like, as long as you can sleep at night knowing what you did." ... GREAT. Guess I'll have to go back then. If the kid was a loli magician and really starts using bakuhatsu mahou explosion magic in the middle of a crowded square, with me walking away as an explosion happens in the background like I am some sort of action movie star, I doubt I will be able to live with that. I walk back while planning to bring the little kid to Customer Service... do they even have that here?

Suddenly, I heard a very familiar chant often done by a certain loli magician, specifically from a show short formed to the name of Kon*s*ba, "Wa ga na wa- guh! Urk!"... Huh? Even for a chuunibyou and a crimson demon, I did not expect her to name herself an orc's name. And what was with that surprisingly deep "guh!" and "Urk!"? Preparing a cool pose for when I inadvertently stop the evil plot, I arrived at the scene, both hands on my hips, legs opened to shoulder length, trying to puff up my muscles like Al* M*ght, and just as I was about to shout out "Mo daijoubu! Naze Te? Watashi ga kita! Everything is fine now. Why? Because I am here!"... I arrived to see that the little kid, now with her hood down, revealing her face with skin as white as snow, has... tackled a... fully grown man...? Several thoughts simultaneously flew through my head.

What is with that weird getup?  And what was that loli chanting voice? Also, whew. Luckily I decided not to say anything, THAT would have been embarrassing. Walking closer, I overheard their conversation, "I swear, I wasn't going to blow everyone up!" said the fully grown muscular man wearing a bright pink nylon dress that is about to burst at its seams. To which the little girl replied, "Tell that to the judge." Before tying him up with a rope she brought out from underneath her robe, she gets up from her kneeled position and somehow foists him up to a standing position and yanks him away somewhere off-screen.

Of course, I, being already invested in this situation, both emotionally and time-wise, decided to follow along to see where this is heading. Now now, I may seem like a busybody but, in my defence, I already have a part in this... sort of. I was already planning the whole cool entrance and saving the heimin peasants in distress. And before that, committed to sending the girl to customer service! Who could have guessed she was some Double-O-Loli! All of those means that I have the right to see the ending right? Right? Regardless of whatever answer my inner voice gave, I followed them anyways.

After the intense self-justification of my actions, I realised that they have gone quite far away. With the goal of not wasting my previous efforts, I rushed to try to catch up with the two, who was surprisingly quick for a tied up man being led by a little girl. I got out of my awkward pose and rushed toward the direction they were headed, all while trying not to look like an idiot. 

Just barely seeing the bobbing  head of the pink dressed man in a sea of market-goers,

Approximately 400 meters...I tried my best to part the sea, pushing my arms out to either side. I barely advanced from my current position, desperate to get a better grasp of my position, I used a passerby's shoulders to lift myself above the sea. "Hey! Get off me!" he shouted. "Ah, sorry!", I said as I saw the bobbing head getting further away.

Approximately 405 meters... I decided to navigate the sea like how a ship navigates the oceans. I folded my arms together in an arrow shape, with my head down to avoid any flailing arms or objects, I made a mad dash forwards. "Choo choo! COMING THROUGH!" I shouted. I'm starting to enjoy this. I raised my head in a part where the sea thinned. I see that they are not that far off, I continued running.

Approximately 300 meters... I bump into a tall muscular and shirtless man, with rippling muscles and an impressive 6 pack. He looked down at me with a slight frown. Feeling what a rabbit might have felt when staring at a wolf, I hurriedly sidestepped while saying, "Sorry sorry! So sorry!" Already a few meters away from him I hear him chuckle while saying "No problem, but be careful. This market is a place where many easily get hurt." Feeling a sense of foreboding, I tried my best to not stumble from my fear.

Approximately 200 meters... I noticed some crates were being pulled across the street on a cart. I prepared my jump and... vaulted over them safely. I put my F*ve N*ghts At Fr*ddy's training into action and managed to get a peek of where that bobbing head went from that brief moment of air time, I'm closing in. 

Approximately 150 meters... My stamina started flagging from all the running and jumping. I leaned against a stall, pausing to take a breath. Raising my head, I noticed that they were not that far ahead, I began my final sprint with what little strength I had.

I noticed a large and important-looking building ahead, I continue to run, only for a hand to suddenly reach out and grab me by my stereotypical medieval peasant shirt made of hemp which I guess I changed into while I was drugged. "Why are you following us." said a monotonous girl's voice. I turned my head and realised the chaser has become the chased. I tried to explain saying, "Well, that market scene seemed interesting so I tried following to hope to get some conclusion to this and hence..." Realising she still had her deadpan expression on, she probably did not believe me one bit. She replied, "If you were really there, then you would probably know what I will say. Let's go." What? What did she say? Tell that to the judge? At some point, while I was thinking about what she was implying, she tied my hands up without my knowing. "Wait! I'm innocent!", I tried to exclaim as she started dragging me alongside the pink dressed man with my heels leaving a trail on the ground.

The man winked and blew a kiss to me when he saw me staring at him. Cold sweats and shudders went down my spine as I tried scooting as far away from him as I was capable of in the little girl's stronger than iron grip. The girl looked over her left shoulder saying, "Stop trying to escape. Not even God can save you now." 

A voice echoed in a serious tone from seemingly nowhere, "Oh really. Is that a challenge?" No, God! It isn't! That was a figure of speech!

I hurriedly told him while fearing for the little girl's almost shortly lived life that nearly ended without her knowing.

While being dragged, I asked the girl, "kimi no na wa? Hey, what's your name?" To which she replied "Nato Yuki. Not that you shall need it in jail."

Luckily, I did not have to be humiliatingly dragged very far as the place I got caught at was only a little further from the girl's destination. A tall and majestic building, with double dark oak doors as wide as an adult with both arms stretched out and as tall as 3 humans stacked atop of each other in front of us.

Entering, I see a vast hall, packed with people on both sides, a bar serving drinks in the middle of either side of the room with a door where waiters appear and disappear from. Further in the corners opposite to us are big corkboards pinned with various parchments. A counter placed directly opposite of us is occupied by many people wearing uniforms. Seriously typing and writing on pieces of parchment. The hall, lit by the natural light shining in and a path right in the middle of the hall leading to the counters, seemingly invited us in. Impressed by the lively but noble ambience of the room, I unwittingly got up on my feet and started walking normally.

When the trio of us reached the counters, a female staff member noticing us, said with a small polite smile,

"Welcome to the Adventurer's Guild."

0