Chapter 10: Demands of a Certain Annoying Being
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Helloooo.... helloo... Hello there!"

Waking up to a very familiar phrase uttered by a very familiar voice, "uuugh...", I groaned as I sat up in my bed, stretched my legs, back and popped a few joints. *crack**pop* Man. Helping with the cleaning up of town sure is tiring. Especially since we have been doing this for 3 days in a row now... I think I'm starting to get sick of this monotony.

Looking out the window, I realise that it is not even 5 in the morning yet, judging from the sun. Not feeling like entertaining God because he woke me up from deep sleep, I replied grouchily,

Hello. Welcome to WcD*n*lds', may I take your order?

"Huh? Wrong line? Hmm... I wouldst liketh a Bicc Wac and... doth thee still hath that Sz*ch**n sauce? Yeah, I wouldst liketh to hath six of thine finest nuggets with 2 tubs of thy glorious sauce. Please deliver to..."

I started nodding and finally dozed off while wondering how does God plan to get WcD*n*lds' to his white room. Meanwhile, God continued rambling off his address as I slowly sunk back to sleep.

...

"Hello? Hellooo? Doth thee heareth mine order? Sheesh. What art thy paying part-timers nowadays? Sleeping on thine job, not even taking this seriously? Ah well, doesn't matter. I'll make sure to dial the right line this time." 

A clink can be heard. As if someone put down the receiver of an old telephone. That clink must have been pretty loud, as it woke me up from my short nap.

"Hello? Is this the right line this time?" 

Yes yes. God. You got it right this time.

"Hmm? How doest thou knowest I tried multiple times? And why doth thee sound strangely liketh that WcD*n*lds' part-timer?"

Purely coincidental. I am of no relation to the part-timer from WcD*n*lds'. None whatsoever. Nope. Not a clue. Nuh-uh. 

"Fine. For the sake of time, for we surest hath wasted much. I shalt let this strange coincidence go. Now. Hath thee started on thine quest?"

Nope. Just got back from one, just a few days back. 

"Oh? Then thou shouldst really get started on this quest then! Tis a good one, I can tell thy that. Lots of fun adventurer fantasy experiences to be had. Go on, get started."

Ah, great. But since you have been rushing me so much, at least tell me how do I find the dungeon? It is called a Hidden dungeon after all.

"Ah. That's right. Forgot to tell thou that. It is like the status. A mere thought of the word 'map', with the proper image in mind, should bring it up. I have the dungeon marked out for you there."

Is that all? No magic spells or traps or death-defying stunts? Just a simple treasure map and Wher*'s W*ldo?

"Tis everything. I did not try to make it too hard, though this particular dungeon hath been around for quite a time now. The monsters in it can be... quite feisty, so do be careful. I hast great plans for thou. Well then. This conversation, tis' at its end? Thee art to set off on thine trip now?"

Yes yes, I shall prepare for the trip... as... soon as... I wake up.

After saying that, I crawled back beneath my covers and quickly fell asleep.

 

...

 

By the time I woke up, it was a proper morning. The birds were chirping, the sun was smiling at me through the window. The kids were running around on the cobbled streets below. All was right in the world as I sit up and stretched my back. "Aaaaaahhh... Satisfying." I said to myself as I slid my feet off the bed and prepared for the day. Well. It was satisfying, till I remembered the conversation that I had with that annoyance of a timer-alarm clock creature with the mental equivalent of a speed dial to my head. 

"HOoooo." I breathed out, feeling my motivation and hope for the new day slowly seep out of my soul with that breath.

Breathing in deeply, as if to try my best to regain the motivation I lost, I tried to think positively. Well. I can't be called an adventurer without adventuring, would I?

Shaking my head, as if to clear the morning fog of demotivation, I stretched my arms and legs and got out of bed. I went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. Zanko was, as following his recently established routine, already there before me. Staring at my hand movements with his annoyingly attentive looking handsome face. Noting down the order at which I added the ingredients into the pan, the amount of preheating I did and the timing in which I added everything in.

Getting slightly annoyed at his dazzling face and incredibly focused one-track mind, I told him, "You do realise this is just a regular sunny side up, right?"

To which he replied, "No. Not 'just' a regular sunny side up. This. Is a sunny side up made by one of the most skilled chefs in the continent. Nay, in the world! za warudo!

"Yeah yeah. Right. Suuure there aren't chefs that specialize in nothing but eggus, spending their whole life in search of perfection." I said as I slid an eggu onto three plates on the counter, one eggu per plate. Two traditionally made... or rather, normal sausages for this world were already on the plate, the eggu perfectly sliding on top of them. Then followed by two pieces of bacon on each plate, cooked in another pan to the side. A piece of bacon on each side of the eggu. As many often say, feed the eyes and the stomach. An appetizing looking dish is important as a nutritious one to start the day right.

 

I Admired my work before I dug in, poking the semi-raw yolk and letting the runny yolk... well,  run down onto the bacon and sausage, I cut each piece down before eating. Metally activating the map while chewing, I looked at where God's demands laid. Oh boy. My first adventure occurred in wintery ever frost lands and now this one... A place with 'desert' in its name... And to top it all off, the destination points to a dungeon. Well now, a proper adventure has to be exotic after all, huh.

Yuki snuck in while I was not paying attention and started quietly eating with us. Finishing the most important meal of the day, and realising this is the perfect opportunity, I got up from the wooden stool I had been sitting on while asking, "Hey Yuki, Zanko. I noticed we've been looking at nothing but rubble recently. Boring, isn't it? Do you two want to go anywhere?" I said as I ferried the dirty plates off the table and into the MagiClean DishWasher™. 

After I asked, Yuki pulled out a map from her bag. It is a surprisingly detailed map of the continent we are on and the various islands surrounding it. On it are various attractions and other points of interests, it has a place marked out no matter whether you planned to visit or to profit off of. Impressive as always huh. Sasuga, Yuki-sama. As expected of the great Yuki. Now, normally this part would be where I show a copy of it for reference's sake, but, of course, there is nothing here because the author is too lazy to draw a simple blob with smaller blobs separated off the main one.

Looking at the map, I tried my best to look as nonchalant as possible while pointing out my God given goals. "Heey, a desert? Seems interesting, Yuki, Zanko, either of you been there before?" Luckily, my acting abilities seem to have held up, I doubt even God knows what sort of trouble I will get into if I tried to explain that God personally gave me a quest and I ignored him for the past few weeks. Because wherefrom should they even start questioning my sanity? 

Zanko, as smart as always, already formulated a reply but timidly waited for Yuki to reply first. Hmm... Maybe we should fix that, could affect our teamwork. Yuki, after a while of thorough consideration, says "Too many choices. Inefficient to weigh pros and cons. All are equal. In my eyes."

Heh. perfect. This shall probably mean no objections to my plan then. Asking was always just a gesture of courtesy, good thing it worked out with no complications. Thinking this, I replied, "How about... here. The desert." I said while tapping my finger over the parchment on a spot of the map. "Recently it has got pretty chilly right? We could escape to there for a bit, it also means that we do not have to do the compulsory debris cleanup. And on top of that," I said, I said with a slight smile while sliding my finger to another spot on the map, "There is a dungeon there. Perfect for both financial and mental needs." "Hmmm... efficient..." Yuki said while shuddering ever so slightly. Zanko seemed to agree, his handsome face in an agreeing expression, nodding his head he said, "Y-yes, this was what I wanted to say t-too.". Instantly breaking the illusion that his handsome face conjured. 

 

Finishing up our meal, we then went to the Guild to apply for an exemption from the compulsory cleanup. Miya, is somehow able to notice us from further away now, which may be due to all that extra skylight, said "Hello! I haven't seen you all for a few days now. Been hard at work clearing?"

"Yes. Unlike someone who does nothing but sits and gets fat.", replies Yuki. Miya, faking an angry face says "Hey! Who are you calling fat? I'll have you know I have, in fact, lost weight from all the administrative work due to the aftermath of this issue, as well as the calculation for the daily wages we have to pay to you all!" Seeing that Yuki is clearly done with listening to her self justification for not eating properly, Miya continues saying, "Well anyways, what brings you lovely folks here?"  

"We want to go to the Sandiasfulk region and explore its dungeon."

"Oh? Hehe. Lucky for you, a merchant recently posted a Quest for escorts to that region. You all seem perfect for the job, how about it?"

"Hmmm... this is going to be a long trip anyway. Now earning money. Less tiring too... very efficient...." mutters Yuki under her breath as she slightly shudders. She turns around as if to ask for our opinion even though she has already made up her mind.

Knowing that I wouldn't be able to change her mind, and that an escort mission sounds fun, I agreed. Zanko seems slightly troubled after hearing about having to travel with more people but, upon looking at Yuki's strange wobbly smile, random shudders and muttering of the word "efficiency", became more troubled about how not to get on her bad side than being socially inadequate. Hence he also agreed to join in.

And thus, this was how we "agreed" on our journey to the Sandiasfulk lands.

0