2. Lumie
135 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My name was Lumie, and I was an orphan.

I lived in a temple on the edge of the continent, or that was taught to me. Live in an orphanage was not that bad, although there was not much choice of food, we still could eat every day, we have a place to sleep, and we get warm clothes. The only work we do only helping Matron or Head Temple occasionally and studying. It was pretty relaxed and fun. I especially liked studying, because Matron often praises me when I got the correct answer.

I was satisfied with living there. So when people asked what I want to be in the future, I became unable to answer.

The older orphans often brag to us, when they older they want to become priests, great adventure, or successful merchants. And every baptism day, they would be gone, chasing those dreams.

Sometimes they also told us stories about heroes of old. And there were times that I thought I might want to become one. However, their journey always filled with difficulty, pain, and sacrifices. When did I ask myself whether I really want to become like that, I became unable to answer too.

I could continue to thinking and hesitating, but time will not wait for anyone. Matron liked to say that. In the end, I reach the age of baptism without finding an answer.

Alright, let God decide what I want to do in the future then. Head Temple always told us that the Gods have great wisdom incomparable with us humans. So their decision must be the best.

But apparently not.

My blessings were, quite all over the places. The priest said that I would not be able to become a priestess. And because I didn't have any combat-related blessing, it would be hard to become a fighter. The same goes for the great adventurers and even merchants.

What should I do?

The priest asked me whether would I like to transfer to the temple of light and join priestess training. But I refused. Was there any point? I told them my true feeling. I want to stay with Matron and Head Temple for a little more longer.

I know it might inconvenience the Matron and Head Temple. But I felt this was the correct decision. I felt like, I missed something, so I could not leave this orphanage yet.

I am sorry, Matron, Head Temple.

Matron and Head Temple, fortunately, agreed with my selfish request. Matron rubbed my head like how usually she praised me. But I didn't think I was getting praised this time.

Matron often said that I was a smart child. But I am not sure about that, I just good at remembering things. And among the child that reached baptism, only I stayed, because of my own clumsiness.

But I was really happy, Matron and Head Temple did not appear to be angry. They are really kind.

So today I was helping the Matron to look over the younger children. They were not many children anymore. Only three, four with me. Two of them will receive baptism next year. The youngest probably the year after. It was not much trouble playing with them. They were all smart children. They especially liked when I read them a picture book.

...

...

Few days after baptism day, Head Temple and Matron called me to the office.

When I entered the office, Matron was preparing tea, while Head Temple sat in her seat. I wanted to help Matron preparing the tea, but Head Temple told me to sit so I sit as ordered. When Matron finally brought the tea, the talk finally started.

"How is the tea, Lumie."

"Tasty, I think?" I didn't really understand tea. But whatever Matron made always tasty.

Matron smiled.

"Have you found anything you want to do, Lumie?" Head Temple quickly enter the main issue. Well, that was as expected...

I shook my head.

"I am sorry."

"You don't have to, we are not planning to force you either," said Head Temple. Matron on another hand, rub my head. I really like it.

"But, we also couldn't leave you like this forever, and thus Matron and I have decided, although we couldn't make you a proper priestess, you should at least learn healing magic and defensive skill. So when you found anything you wanted to do, you might be able to use it."

I see, Head Temple was really smart. And to be honest, I am also interested, I saw Matron use healing magic once, and it was amazing.

I nodded. It was a bit awkward because of Matron's hand still above my head.

"Good child. From tomorrow morning, I will teach you some staff skills. After that, you will follow Matron on her errand."

Wow, staff skills. I didn't know Head Temple could use staff skills. Perhaps the cane she sometimes used was a staff all along?? And, umm, Matron's errand? Well, she often went a few hours before lunch preparation, was that it?

Well, anyway I was really pumped up. Ah, but I didn't have any staff-related blessing.

"Could I learn staff skills without a staff-related blessing?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Of course, although it might be harder compared to those who have the blessing, you still could learn it." It was Matron who answered me. I see. So learning itself was no problem. If I try harder, perhaps I could become strong too? Not that I know what I want to do with that.

"I want to learn!" Hahaha, the Head Tempe laughed.

"Alright, you could go now. Look over the other child. You are now the biggest among them, alright, big sis."

"Yes!" I left the office with light gait.

...

...

Although this place was an orphanage, there was nothing much to be done. Mainly because there were only six people in this orphanage now. True, the cleaning would become harder because losing manpower, but cooking especially, become a lot easier.

After finished helping Matron and Head Temple cooking and eating breakfast with everyone, the other child went to the classroom to study, while I went to the backyard to train with Head Temple. I couldn't believe it, will I become staff master or something? That would be amazing! That was what I thought at first, but Head Temple instructions were simpler, I was told to run around the back yard, without stepping on any gravestones, of course, flexibility training, and basic staff swinging. Oho, would I become a staff master with this? Head Temple said if I did it every day I could become very strong, so that must be true! I did my best to follow her instruction.

When I became tired, the Head Temple gave me tea. Hmm, I couldn't tell the difference with Matrons.

After resting for a while, Matron brought me to her errand.

Actually I didn't quite understand what was her errand, but I was told to wear boots and robe. Head Temple also told me to bring the staff that I used to train. Oh, will we fight a monster or anything? That sounds scary, but since Matron here it might not be something strong?

We were going toward the forest. Matron always told us that the forest was dangerous, so why? Was it really to fight against a monster?

Matron taught me about healing magic as we walked slowly toward the forest. Sometimes she warned me with some plants and grass that grow in the forest. Although there were not much, due to the corruption of the death forest.

"Since I want you to follow me every day when I went to my errand, it is better to tell you the truth. Do you know why we are desperately trying to keep the branch temple despite it has no assistance from the main temple?"

I shook my head.

"There were barriers placed on the temple, and Head Temple power is the one which anchors it."

Huh?

"After the fall of King of Chaos, the corruption of death forest did not recede but instead increased in some places. The reason is unknown, but since around twenty years ago, it was very apparent in the forest behind our temple.

In the past various branch temples were built just to contain the corruption, but after the war against King of Chaos, only our branch temple survived in this area. And although it did not give complete protection against the corruption of the death forest, it could delay it greatly, and thus the town and the villages near our temple could enjoy peace.

The power of the barrier has a limit, of course, we tried to ask for more help, but apparently other branch temples in different areas faced a similar issue, and because of our position which was not near any big kingdom, we were not prioritized.

The reason we did not try to keep the orphanage because I and Head Temple wanted to focus on maintaining the barrier."

"So am I in the way?" I interrupted, I did not think the problem was this severe.

Matron shook her head. "Of course not. We are actually pretty happy. Head Temple once said it will be lonely without the children, you included.

However, it is also true that we wish you could enjoy the outside world. Head Temple has decided to dedicated her life to this branch temple, to protect it till her last breath. Even if another priest or priestess come it would be hard to maintain the barrier without her power, and we still don't know when it would be. I also have decided to follow Head Temple, if you want to be together with us, you might never able to leave this place.

I know it is a hard talk for a child of your age, but I always believe that you are a smart kid, so you should understand what I mean."

I nodded.

"Good child.

Now, I will tell you about my errand...or probably not. Do you understand the healing spell that I taught you?"

"Umm... I still don't quite get it." I said.

"Alright, let's test it out. Practicing is often better than hearing explanations."

The Matron suddenly moved forward and hit something in the ground with her staff.

She then picked up the thing she hit. It looked like a rat. A rotten rat.

"This is a type of undead." She brought it to me. Hmm, it is indeed a rotten rat, but it still moved.

"Although it is undead, it is not quite a monster since it is originally only a rat. Though you still need to be careful if they came in a group.

Now, try to use heal to this rat. "

I tilted my head. Why?

"Healing spell could heal the wound, however against an undead creature it is like poison. It will bring them back to the embrace of the earth mother, in other word healing spell could destroy them."

Ahh... I see.

"Now try it."

"Alright!" I try to focus my mana like how Matron taught me.

"Minor heal!" I shouted the name of the healing spell that Matron taught me. It was an inferior version of a healing spell, but that's the only spell that I could learn at this point of time.

A greenish light emerged from my hand and fly toward the zombie rat. But it didn't have any visible effect.

Ehh...

"Well, it is not that easy, I guess." Matron took a rope from her bag and tied the zombie rat so it could not move. And then tied the other side of the rope to my staff.

"Try again later when we reach our destination."

We continue to walk toward Matron's errand location.

2