5. A slight melancholy
78 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sprawled on my back in the orphanage backyard.

Lately, I have been sparring with Head Temple. Although she looked like an old woman you could find anywhere in the countryside, she was really strong. I kept getting hit.

Her strikes were fast and precise. And her guard also could not be underestimated. I haven't scored any hit.

Because of the everyday training, I became more familiar with the staff, but apparently, it is still a long way to go. Alright, let's work hard!

I have been adding some time to swing the staff after returning from the afternoon forest errand, but perhaps I could add more at night? Hmm, I guess not, for now, Matron said children must sleep well to grow up well. I want to grow up quickly.

Now that I have decided to focus my goal on reducing the number of undead I need to become stronger.

 

"Weiss always energetic isn't he." Matron suddenly said that during our errand.

Well, it has been a month since I picked him up, and now he keeps floating around me whenever I am not practicing with Head Temple. It's just me or he became even plumper. Well, it was pretty good since he could shine. The gloomy forest has become a little brighter in my eyes. Ugh.

Weirdly though, I felt I could breathe better inside the death forest when he was around. Was that something like its special characteristic? I wonder.

Today I did not found any undead critters. After Weiss came, he helped me to find undead critters that I missed, and now there is no more, at least on this route. Well, let focus on lesser undead then.

Matron purified the miasma repelling tree like always as I looked toward the death forest, to look for undead. Ugh, I found a dangerous one. 

I would not be able to handle it. It was a skeleton wearing armor and have a rusted sword in its hand. A skeleton soldier. It even had miasma like aura, I guess that was miasma all along.

It hasn't noticed us because of the miasma repelling tree. But it might be better if we quickly left.

"Do you want to fight it?" I didn't notice Matron has returned.

"Is it not too dangerous?" That miasma would block my healing magic, so I need to use purification first. After using purification I could only use heal twice. I doubt it could completely defeat it. Although to be honest, I also think this is finally the time I could use purification. If only I could use heal one more time...

"I could use one more heal. And it doesn't seem it has any other allies." Matron gripped her staff tightly. That was unexpected, to think Matron would recommended me to fight and even helped me. Usually, she left me on my device, but I know she was pretty a worrywart.

"I guess it is better if we destroy it." It would become trouble if I came alone later and it found me. And three heals should be enough to defeat it. However, I need to use purification before it noticed me...

"Matron, could you attract its attention?" Matron also pretty skilled with staff, and although it has a sword, I doubt it has strong sword skills. True its strength might be comparable or higher than a zombie, but if I could dispel the miasma it should be weakened.

Matron smiled.

"Alright, but we should run if your purification failed to clear the miasma."

I nodded.

I took a little round way to the left, while Matron went straight to it.

As I prepare my purification spell, Matron picked up a stone with decent size and threw it toward the skeleton soldier.

It did not deal any damage, as expected, but the attention turned into Matron.

It started to run toward Matron, Matron ready to cast heal while also took a defensive posture.

I appeared after it went passed my hiding spot.

"Purification." This was the first time I used purification against a monster, please work!

"A...k..a....k..." The miasma dispersed. Success. Its charging speed dropped dramatically.

"Heal." Matron used heal, white smoke appeared from the skeleton. I also prepared my heal.

"Heal." More white smoke and it crumbled to one knee. One more. "Heal."

It looked like want to scream but no sound comes out from it.

As it crumbled and turned into ash.

We quickly retreat toward the miasma repelling tree and calm our breath.

"Amazing, we defeated it!" I couldn't help but raise my voice because of excitement.

It was the strongest one I've ever faced.

True I did not defeat it by myself, but I still defeat it. Yeah.

Matron rubbed my head.

"Let's return."

We returned to the orphanage after that. Because I was happy, I jumped around and even started to sing. Weiss floated happily around me.

...

...

When we report our victory, Head Temple praised me too. But she also warned me to be more careful when I am alone. Of course, currently, I could not defeat it by myself after all.

Also, because of hearing me singing, Matron asked Head Temple to teach me the song of four temples. Ah, I only know the harvest song, and if by chance I become a priestess of the different temple, it is better to know the song of that temple.

Although lately being a priestess has flown away from my mind. I have been too focused on becoming stronger and hunting undead. Perhaps become an adventurer who specialized in undead would not be so bad. Hmm.

Matron also praised my singing voice. Even if I do not become a priestess I could become a bard she said.

A bard huh, that sounds nice too. But personally I only like to sing harvest songs. Since it filled me with energy. Well, the other temple's song might be amazing too, let's learn it.

I felt Weiss became even more energetic when he heard me sing.

...

...

Lately, I felt my body became lighter and I could move better. Was this the result of the training? If that so it made me really happy.

But today we have no training. Mother went to town to purchase some stuff. And I tasked to help the younger children study. Though they started to focus on Weiss like always.

"Alright, this one goes like this, and here, you get the answer."

I was pretty good at studying or in this case, teaching, though keeping their concentration was a different matter.

"Catch you!" One of the children try to catch Weiss, but of course, it evaded. And it was pretty good at it.

"Here." failed. "Here." Failed again.

"Back to study, I will let you touch Weiss later."

"Really? Yahoo!" the child sat back to his seat.

But it didn't last much as ten minutes.

Ugh, reining them was easier when Anne and Rosi were there.

After the older children left the orphanage, actually there were eight of us in the orphanage. Ten if you count Matron and Head Temple.

At that time the orphanage still pretty lively. And we were like three big sisters for the other children. It was fun. We also like to compete with each other, and Anne often sulks when she lost.

Around two months before baptism two youngest children were adopted. And after Anne and Rosi left the orphanage, there were only four of us. And the three of them will also leave this orphanage next spring.

I heard the youngest, Jil, who should receive the baptism in two more years, will be sent to temple of light orphanage at the same time with Kanna's and Roel's baptism. Matron and Head Temple decided that because it would be lonely for Jil. I would still be here next year too, but because I have found something I wanted to do, it was unlikely I have enough time to play with him.

Ahh... This place would become very lonely. Would Matron and Head Temple become lonely?

I wonder what were Anne and Rosi doing right now. Perhaps priesthood training? Most likely. I want to compare my progress with them. It has been awhile. Though, perhaps I could not measure up to them now because they were training priesthood for real while I mostly just hunting lesser undead...W-well, I did put all my effort though, so I hope the gap not too far... Ugh... even I am not convinced. Did they also hunt lesser undead like me? Or perhaps the hunt something scarier like a mutant zombie or lich. That would be cool.

I guess I was happy for them, if they have become a real priestess, I hope I could still meet them. As for me, I only want to think more efficient ways to reduce the lesser undead for now.

Rosi was crying when we left and hugged me. Anne looked awkward though, and we only shake hands in the end. I was not really good at dealing with Anne. In the past, when she first entered this orphanage, she was a crybaby and always like to stay beside me. But around a year before baptism, she became headstrong and never rely on me anymore. I didn't know what changed her, but the way she looked at me became severe.

Rosi was always the same, though I did not expect she became emotional. Usually, she was good at following up, especially when Anne messed up. Well, since they were together, they would be fine. Ah, I want to meet them.

Weiss snuggled to my face. Hahaha, that's tickles.

Did he try to cheer me up? It is not like I was sad... maybe...

But, well, I was happy you were there. We would be fine even after the other children left. We have each other, and we have Matron and Head Temple too.

When I become lonely, perhaps I should visit them. Ugh, but the temple of light was pretty far. Well, I will think about it later. For now, I will try hard to pursue my own goal. The faster I could finish it, the faster I could make time to visit them. Not that I knew exactly when I will finish it. But I felt it is not an impossible goal... so someday surely.

2