7. Gazebo in the middle of nowhere
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the end, we didn't understand how the wisps protected me. According to Head Temple, it might be their special quality which was enhanced through song of harvest which has evolved into a hymn. A hymn was a special song that grants power to ally, it has the power to increase various attributes of those who listen to them. And my hymn worked toward the wisps. I didn't know it has such power. I did know that Weiss and Aqua like to hear my singing voice so sometimes I sang for them.

The combination of six wisps innate ability and my newly developed hymn able to keep the wraith from attacking me. It should be similar to how miasmas repelling trees made monsters reluctant to approach it, or at least that's the Head Temple theory.

While it was a good thing, the fact didn't change that I took a heavy risk. If the wisps didn't save me or if my song didn't become a hymn, the wraith would surely consume my life force, and I most likely be dead now. Of course, knowing my reason, they could not scold me too harshly, but they did forbid me to enter the dead forest for the end of the day, and the day after.

Well, it was indeed dangerous, so I could not complain. Matron hugged me harder than usual. I could see tears almost fall from her eyes.

Now then, what should I do with these children?

There were four of them. Red, yellow, green, and black. They have saved my life. Well, actually I tried to save them first but that was not really important. The fact that they saved me did not change. Somehow they liked me, so perhaps I better keep them?

Alright! I gave them my mana and started to name them.

"Red one... hmm.. you're Flam. The yellow one is... Golda. The green one is Greenie, and the last, you're Shad!"

They shone once and then floating around me again. They looked happy.

Ufufu. I have a lot of partners now. Let's show it to the other children!

...

...

A few months had passed since then. I continue to hunt undead in the death forest as always. I haven't meet any more dangerous enemies after that. And because of my growing mana, even if I met three wraiths now it won't be much of trouble.

Now I enter the forest three times a day, in the morning after training with Head Temple, noon after lunch, and in the afternoon.

Because of the hymn, the Head Temple also gave me a singing lesson. And lately, I have been able to sing while running inside the forest.

The effect of the hymn was not really great at first. When I obtained it, it only affects wisps. After training with Head Temple, now it could affect people, although only a little. Weirdly it also affects me. When I sang the hymn I felt my movement become smoother as if I lost some weight.

It helped me a lot when traveling between the orphanage and the death forest, so I have been singing every day since I reached that stage.

Somehow the children also liked it when I sing, so I have been learning other songs too. Mostly children song though, but they were happy, so I guess that would be fine. We never heard any bard song anyway. I heard Matron has once heard it when she visited a slightly large town. But there should be no traveling bard ever reached a small village or small town near here.

It was almost a year since I received baptism. That would also mean it was almost time for Kanna and Roel's baptism. This place would be lonely.

Lately, I have a hard time finding undead inside the death forest. Thus I have been thinking to increase my activity area.

It would take more walking, but since I have hymn now, traveling did not feel that hard.

I told Matron and Head Temple about it. Although Matron looked extremely worried they only told me to be more careful.

They also thought perhaps I should bring lunch since it would waste a lot of time traveling back-and fort. So I will only need to depart in the morning and return in the afternoon.

Well, eating inside the death forest might not completely safe though, so it would be better to do that if I could find a good place to take a break inside of the death forest. I wonder if there was any...was what I thought three days ago.

"..."

In the middle of a gloomy forest with thin miasma floating around, stood a gazebo made of stone.

Maybe it was made with mana reinforced material, except some dust, snot, and moss, it was still intact.

And after I observed the surrounding, the area around it has thinner miasmas. There were also some stones which might be a ruin of buildings.

I see, this place might be a ruin of a town or something. However, there were no intact building in sight, no wall, nothing. Except for the gazebo, there were only some stones covered in moss.

The war with King of Chaos fifty years ago was a brutal one. It did not last more than five years, and yet it has wiped more than half of the civilization in this continent. That was how cruel that era was. Town disappears overnight was not an uncommon thing according to the Head Temple.

This place might be one of the towns that were ravaged by the monster.

Should I be amazed at how the gazebo survived despite nothing else in this area did?

But well, it might be a good thing. The gazebo has a roof and it still looked solid, I should have no problem hiding from the rain there.

I walked toward the gazebo to check it.

It was pretty big, a round table made of marble and three stone benches. The benches were big enough to take a nap. I might only bring some blanket.

Isn't this too perfect?

Well, since there is a good place, it should be better to use it right?

After checked the gazebo I concluded that I only need to clean up a little.

Hmmm, hmmm. This place would be my resting area. But first, let's clean up the monsters around here first.

...

...

...

I finished cleaning up the lesser undead around the gazebo in less than two hours. It was a piece of cake.

After surveyed the area, I noticed that there were not many undead around the area. Additionally, this place looked less affected by miasma. However, I also felt something sinister. It was pretty far, but I can't really feel relieved yet. It was something more sinister than wraith I presume.

I really need to defeat it if I want to keep using the gazebo as my base.

I returned to the gazebo to take rest. It still dirty so I need to clean it up, but for now I could at least use it to hide from the sun.

I need to bring cleaning tools next time.

...

...

I reported my finding to Head Temple and Matron. When my preparation was completed I would start using that gazebo as a base in the forest.

But for now, we need to prepare for baptism. The day after tomorrow was Kanna and Roel's baptism.

We have talked with them and Jil about their arrangement. They seem a bit jealous of me, but it couldn't be helped. Although I'm fully aware that I was selfish, I didn't think I could choose another path now.

They were pretty understanding kids, they asked me to not forget about them and visit when I am free.

Yes, I will. Someday in the future.

This year I helped Matron and Head Temple on the baptism ceremony. Although I was not a priestess I wore the robe that Matron prepared for me.

I would be the one who leads the hymn. I was a big role, I'm a bit nervous.

The procession was the same as last year. The priests who came to help a bit surprised though since I would be the one who leads the hymn, unlike last year.

After Head Temple's speech, I went forward and ask them to sing the hymn together with me.

It was pretty smooth sailing at first, but somehow the singing voice started to recede in the middle. And before I know it, only my voice resounded inside the temple. Ugh, it was pretty embarrassing, but the song must be finished.

I continue to sing like I always do until the end. When the song ended somehow they were applauding. Why? You guys should sing together with me!

Even Matron and the Head Temple and the priests that came to help also do the same. Just why?

The rest of the ceremony went without a hitch. Kanna and Roel also received pretty decent blessings.

Before their departure, the priest asked whether I would come with them to the temple of light. Apparently they were impressed with my singing voice and they would love to have me among their choir. Ugh, thanks but no thanks. My job here was not done yet. Well, self-proclaimed job.

If I had the time I should visit them they said. After finish saying goodbye with the Kanna, Roel, and Jil, they left with the carriage together with the priests.

It dawned on me when the carriage they rode disappeared in the distance, that this is truly another goodbye, and the chance that I might not be able to meet them again.

It was not like I did not aware what I am doing was pretty dangerous. But I guess my sense of danger was a bit numb.

The encounter with wraith did not fix it. It made me more alert, but that is. However the presence in the forest that I felt the other day actually did remind me of death.

I need to become stronger.

So I would not die here, and so I could meet with them again.

2