12 – Progress
34 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After three months, I'm reminded that I have no talent.

My skill in handling various weapons has certainly increased, but I have not learned any 'active skill'. Normally as an indicator of one mastery, after training for some time we would manifest active skill. It would not always be the same, but most of the time some basic active skill would be learned after some training. For example, learning swordsmanship would give you the basic skill of 'slash'. By consuming a little bit more stamina, it would increase the speed and power of a single slash. Or if the swordsmanship was more focused on thrusting, then it would be 'thrust', which increases the speed and sharpness of one attack. The time to learn one active skill would differ from one to another, however, such basic skill could be learned in a month even if you only have a meager talent. And actually, from the time I learned staff techniques from Temple Head, I have not manifested a single active skill. This should show how much untalented I am.

Marina said my growth these few months actually stems out from a phenomenon called level up. It increased my base ability, so the number I could use magic and my physical prowess increased drastically. Although it was also true that I could use more magic because my control become better, most still rely on this 'level up'.

Normally people who recently received baptism are not advised to level up. Because it might impede the natural growth of the body and make it harder to learn skills. It was advised to train for a few years and gain a few skills first before challenging the monster. Although the latter was most likely due to the fact that monsters were stronger than humans. The reason I could continue to hunt monsters up to now was only because of the complete advantage of light magic against the undead.

In a sense, it might not too bad to level up first. Because without that, right now I might not be able to cast greater purification due to my small mana reserve, and I might not be able to lift the great sword and hammer even with my talent strength 1.

Considering I have no combat-related blessing, it might be nigh impossible for me to gain combat-related skill in the first place and thus increase my base ability and fighting with raw power might be the correct path I should take.

Now there were two problems with this. First, it seemed that I truly won't be able to master any of their weapons. They praised me that the way to handle the weapon has become more skillful, but I also know that they were slightly disappointed that I might not be able to truly become their successor. Second, apparently level up has some kind of limit. Considering that I have light magic that was the bane of the undead, my level has been skyrocketing. But it would slow down and might be stopping completely soon because I have reached near the first barrier that many people unable to pass. 

This would mean my base ability won't be increasing as fast as before and without any combat skill, it might be harder to handle stronger monsters. That said, my purpose to enter the death forest was to reduce the number of the lesser undead, not to completely wipe them up or challenge stronger monsters. Although I might not be able to handle the nasty presence that I felt before, I would just need to continue to wipe out the lesser undead and hope to chip their power. One step at a time.

My teachers also supported me in this regard and keep teaching me various moves and knowledge. It seemed I have no especially bad or especially outstanding area. However, I was fascinated with heavy weapons. Among the weapons they taught, greatsword, hammer, and battle-ax were really fun to swing around compared to staff or long swords. Rex also taught me throwing weapons and throwing spears, but my accuracy with the former was completely hopeless while somehow able to get a passing grade with the latter. That would not mean I would stop learning because it gave me more options. Although the gap between amateur and master was big, the gap between not being able to use it and being able to use it was bigger.

Also, body strengthening magic seemed a bit too early for me. My mana control was a bit bad and thus it quickly depleted my mana reserve. I could only maintain it for a few seconds before it would start to go haywire. Considering my mana might not be able to grow any bigger, I might only be able to use it a few times--in a few seconds during combat effectively.  I need to train more because it was really useful when fighting a strong enemy or to avoid being surrounded.

The biggest progress I made was probably on weapon enchant. Although it also uses a decent amount of mana, the control was easier compared to body strengthening. When I tried to slash a zombie orc with a greatsword infused with light enchant, it was cut into two and then started to disintegrate and become ash. It was amazing!

That said Rex told me that my mana control was still a bit rough, and I might be able to save more mana if I train harder, so I need to continue to hone it.

The last thing that was worth mentioning was that I also learned how to convert mana externally from Marina. It was a technique to cast magic from a different element from your magic vein. It was a very not cost-effective technique, which not all magicians would bother to learn, but the fact that it could help me cast magic from different elements would really help me who could only have a light magic vein.

The reason Marina teach me this was actually to teach me a special technique of her, a magic trick which she developed, derived from space magic. It would impossible for me to become a space magician, but this trick apparently did not use that much mana, so even if I use this ineffective technique, I might be able to use it without much worry. Additionally, this magic trick might be truly something that I needed, since it give me a tactical advantage.

Because of the training, I did not advance much in the dead forest. I only keep a certain perimeter clean from the undead and sometimes cast purification to drive away the miasma. Sometimes I also sing a few songs so I would not forget how to sing. The wisps and my teachers like it, especially the-wisps, they keep flying around whenever I sing.

Before I noticed the area around the gazebo had become even brighter and I could even see some sprouts growing in this dead forest. It was a nice thing. Although it would necessarily be able to hold on if I leave it for a few weeks.

Still, it gave me a warm feeling in my heart.

After all of that, however, I think I need to leave the training for now and advance. I had held on finding a water source for too long. Adding the sprout that starts growing in the area, I might truly need to secure the water source. If the river becomes normal, those sprouts might grow, and even trees would be able to grow normally here. Well, probably, I hope so.

So after some preparations, I started to actively hunt the undead near the river and advance toward the source of the water.

 

0