Entrance Exam (2)
190 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Wait," Senior ordered as we stayed still for a few moments. "Alright," Senior removed her hand from my mouth, "They're gone."

Finally, free to speak, I cheered at our momentary victory. "Did you see- Ah! You're leg!" Pointing at the crying wound, I cringe at the amount of blood weeping from the gash.

Senior seemed unfazed as she gingerly sat down and leaned against a tree. Reaching into her sleeve, she pulled out a small blue embroidered bag. After pulling on the strings, a mini-portal appeared.

Wow! An inter-spatial bag! I've seen a few in the past, but it wasn't as big as this one.

Hmm, Senior must come from a prominent family if she could afford to have something like this. 

Pulling out a small brown pill, Senior quickly popped it into her mouth. In no time, the ugly gash started to close up and became covered by unmarred skin.

I must have stared at her exposed thigh for a while because I heard a disgruntled huff, and her robes quickly covered the white leg.

"Heh, sorry," I smiled sheepishly. Though Senior tried to keep a straight face, I noticed a bit of pink on the tips of her ears.

Hehe, too funny.

Oh, right, the badges! "Here," taking two of the standard badges, I held out the rest that I'd sto- picked up from that group of brutes. "Consider this an apology gift for that incident from before."

Senior looked at the badges and then me. "Thank you, but no need. I can handle my problems."

"Ah, come on," I dropped my tired arm. "Don't play the polite game with me, please. I already have ten points, so I don't need to-"

"I already have ten points, as well."

"Huh?" Are you kidding me! "But-"

"Before they attacked me, I had just acquired my last point, so you can keep those badges if you wish," then Senior pulled out two standard badges and four senior badges! Four!

What the heck! During this whole day, I have only been able to get two at most! Those seniors were a lot harder to beat than I thought, and now you're telling me that she defeated four of them!

"Wah, then what do I do with the rest of these then?"

"Throw them away; I suppose," Senior shrugged. "Well, if you excuse me, I'm going to be moving on."

Suddenly the badges began to glow as they formed a circle around Senior, and within a flash of light, she disappeared.

"Wah! Hey, don't leave me behind, Senior!" Fumbling with the mess of badges, I activated ten badges. The badges began to glow and also form a ring around me, and I, too, was whisked away.

---

"Bleugh," gagging, I placed my hands on my knees as I bent over and tried to hold back the next wave of bitter spit. "Why does this always happen?"

Wiping the bit of drool from the corner of my mouth, I take in my new surroundings. I seemed to have teleported to a similar platform that I was on earlier; however, the location has changed. Compared to the last, the site of the platform was now in an elevated area of the mountains. Dark green trees as the sea and white fog as foam, it was a sight to behold.

It seems with each level; we're going higher up the mountain. Interesting, then what awaits us at the top, I wondered as I glanced at the sharp, intimidating peak that was surrounded by a ring of white fluffy clouds.

"Welcome, participant, to your second trial!" A jolly and booming voice greeted me. It was a large man with a thick beard with a lion mane to match. Also donned in light grey robes, he smiled jolly by the stone pillar. "May I see your participant card?"

"Um sure," I answered and walked over with my badge in hand. The master took the wooden badge from me and squinted his eyes on its contents. Although the badge was a decent size, more substantial than a man's hand, it looked comically small in this master's hand.

"Em, very good," he smiled and handed my badge back. "You've done well, number 302. It's rare to see little ladies like yourself getting out there and joining sects."

I smiled back, "Well, I try, I suppose."

"Very good, very good! We could use some diversity in our Yun Cai Peak. You know, there was another little lady that had arrived before you."

Senior?

"Oh, speaking of her, do you know where she went?" I wonder how far along Senior was in the trial. For her to seemingly pass the last test with ease, she isn't a simple girl, that's for sure.

"She went into the next trial, of course," the master smiled. "Speaking of which, I should be telling the details of the trial, right?"

"Please," I nodded. I wonder how this next trial was going to fair against the last. Were we going to have one to one combat? Or fight some sort of mystical beast? Based on how old Yun Cai was alone, I wouldn't be surprised if some powerful monster was guarding the peak.

"The second trial is called the Mist Maze of Yun Cai Peak," the master started. "Although they say it's a maze, it's more of a long path that you must walk through to get to the next level."

That's all? That seems pretty easy!

"I know what you're thinking. It's going to be easy, right? Wrong, along the way, you might face difficult traps and all sorts of other things. It depends on the person."

"Oh," still, I'm up for the challenge. Made it this far, the peak is in the distance. Admittedly, I'll finish soon, right?

"Now," the master smiled. "Are you ready for the next trial?"

"Yes," I nodded.

"Good, I like those with spirit! The entrance of the maze is over there," he pointed to the gray area behind the pillar. "To pass this trial, you must get out within two days. If you don't know how long it has been, there is a countdown on your badge."

Sure enough, on the back of the wooden badge was a small dial set from two days. It had yet to start. Perhaps it would turn on once I entered.

"Well, thank you master-"

"Master Qing Su," he smiled.

"Well, thank you, Master Qing Su!"

"Eh, it's no issue. I hope a young lassie like yourself will join the ranks of our great peak."

"Will do," I nodded before bravely making my way over to the misted entrance. Don't know what's on the other end, but they wouldn't try to kill us, right? The fog began to part, revealing a winding set of stairs that wrapped around the mountain like a snake.

After taking in a few brave deep breaths, I stepped through the parted fog.

"Oh, and one more thing, lassie! Remember! Nothing in the maze is real!"

"Okay!" I called back, but the fog must have been a seal since my voice echoed back at me. I wonder if Master Qing Su heard my response.

Oh well.

"Well, maze, it's just you and me now!" With determined steps, I start to make my way up the staircase.

And perhaps, I might see Senior again!

---

"Okay, this has to be some sick joke or something." After seeing the same rock in the path a few times, I can only assume that this is some never-ending staircase.

Great.

"Aiyah, how am I going to get out of this never-ending maze!" My legs were getting cramped up from walking so much!

'Remember! Nothing in the maze is real!'

"Nothing is real," could this be what Master Su was talking about before? If it was, then that means I already fell into one of the traps!

Ahh, I'm silly.

"Well, if it's a trap, there has to be a way to get out, right?"

I found myself looking up the mountain, whose peaks wrapped itself with a blanket of thick fog. 

You know, why not?

If you can't walk up, you climb up!

Securing a strong foothill in a crack, I started to scale my way up the mountain though it was a little tiring if it meant that I wouldn't need to waste more energy walking winding steps.

I soon made it up to the layer of clouds. It was too thick for me to see what was on the other side. Meaning, I could only take a leap of faith on this one.

"Alright, on the count of three." One, two, three!

Swinging myself upwards, I wait for my hands to grab onto something. 

"You've got to be kidding me!" How did I get back to where I started? Sitting down in disbelief, I tried to think of a new plan.

Hmm, maybe I should walk with my eyes closed?

"Ah, but that's ridiculous!"

Well, Master Qing Su did mention nothing was real here.

"But that doesn't mean the fall isn't!"

Aiyah, what to do? Squatting down, I held my head as I tried to come to a decision.

"Argh, you know what, Naran? You only live once!" Seeing as there was no other option, I decided to go with my gut instinct.

Taking a few deep breaths, which could be my last if I'm wrong, I shut my eyes and started walking. Projecting some qi from the soles of my feet with each step, I could 'see' each step. However, as I neared the next level with a rock, I noticed another path that shifted off the side of the mountain.

Tapping against the surface with a few experimental taps, I walked off the main course and on to this new path.

Unexpectedly, I didn't find myself falling through clouds, but rather, on solid ground.

What the hell?

Opening my eyes, I see that I'm no longer on the accursed staircase and now was in some sort of training ground. 

Wait a second, is that white figure over there, Senior?

9