Disciple Selection
170 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Congratulations to you all for passing this year's entrance exams," Sect Master Qing Shui smiled as the crowd collectively cheered. "I'm very proud that my humble sect has received such a talented bunch this year. I'm especially proud to see that there are some of you who are above the rest."

"Senior," I nudged with a smile. "They must be talking about you."

Senior looked at me from the corner of her eye and quietly scoffed as she shook her head. "Who knows…it's best not to assume things."

I puffed my cheeks a bit at Senior's remark.

I know that what I said is true, though!

These past few days leading up to the disciple selection, participants and sect disciples alike have been gossiping about a white-clothed beauty and some youth who came out with remarkable results!

"Hmph, you're too humble, Senior," I sighed as I returned my attention to the stage.

"Now, I won't dawdle any further, let's start the disciple selection!" On Sect Master Qing Shui's signal, several people dressed in grey robes stepped out behind him and began walking out to the crowd, each holding bundles of fragrant grass.

Doctor Jing Xin told me that those who receive a bundle of fragrant grass from a master would become an inner sect disciple. Meaning that they would become a direct disciple of one of the masters and, therefore, would be placed higher on the sect hierarchy.

In other words, they would receive a larger allowance of spirit stones, medical herbs, and access to the sect library.

All of those hidden martial arts manuscripts and techniques… my blood practically boiled as I thought of the possibilities!

Compared to those who would end up as outer sect disciples, being chosen was mostly being given a head start above the rest.

Not to mention, more freedom to do as you pleased! Well, within the rules, of course.

The crowd watched with trepidation as the masters slowly walked through the crowd. However, it was extraordinary as they didn't even so much bat an eye at the majority of the participants.

So much for being a talented bunch.

Instead, they seemed to narrow their eyes over to where Senior and I were standing.

Ah! Were they going to take Senior?

Don't they know we're a two for one deal? You can't just pick the flower without its leaf!

Clinging onto Senior's sleeve, I watched as several masters started to close in on us. Senior didn't seem nervous or joyful at all! Her face stayed as calm and cold as ever.

A middle-aged woman approached first with a calm smile as she extended the bundle of grass towards Senior. "Dear participant, will you-" 

"Hold it! Hold It," a loud voice interrupted the woman's offer. "I have the first pick!" Out of the sky, landed an old man with a sloppy appearance. He seemed to have been in the middle of eating and a nap as his grey robes were wrinkled and soiled with food stains.

"Grandmaster," Sect Master Qing Shui bowed. "I didn't realize that you would come."

"Yeah, well, I did," the old man scratched his beard. "And as promised, I have first pick this year."

"O-of, course," Sect Master Qing Shui smiled. "If you will, Grandmaster," gesturing towards us.

"Eh," the old man grunted as he jumped down the steps and landed in front of the crowd.

Some upon hearing the old man's title puffed themselves out in hopes of being chosen. Others backed away into the crowd as if avoiding the pungent odor radiating off of him.

The old man ended up standing behind the woman that tried to take Senior in as a disciple.

"Eh hem," he grunted as the woman's face flattered a bit as she reluctantly stepped aside. Her nose wrinkled as she caught a whiff of him; however, she didn't dare cover her nose while in his presence. "You there, what's your name?"

I wasn't sure as to whom he was referring too as he merely nodded his head in our direction. "Senior, who do you think he's talking to," I whispered.

"Apologies, but who is it that Grandmaster is referring too," Senior suddenly asked with a slightly bowed head.

"Eh, both."

"This disciple is named Ye Lian Hua," Senior quickly flickered her eyes to me as she cupped her hands and bowed. Her gaze urged me to introduce myself.

"Oh, um, this disciple is named Zhu Na Ran," copying Senior's actions, I quickly bowed as well.

"Eh, very good," the old man suddenly smiled with approval as he turned back to the Sect Master. "I pick these two kids."

"As Grandmaster wishes."

However, the group of elders seemed perplexed. A wave of murmurs swayed through the air.

"...ah, but what is their zibei going to be?"

"... tsk, this is going to be confusing for the sect records… "

The old man didn't seem to care as he had us handover our admissions badge and signaled us to follow him. Looking up to see Senior's reaction, she looked as calm as before. "Come on," she whispered as she pulled me along.

Once we were a considerable distance from the old man, he did a few signals with his hands as an array suddenly formed under his feet.

Oh no.

Gripping tighter onto Senior's sleeve, I squeezed my eyes shut as I readied myself for the inevitable whirlwind of nausea that would follow.

"You can let go now."

Eh? Peeking open my eyes, I find ourselves in front of a large orchard, filled with yulan trees. "Oh, heh, sorry," realizing that I was still gripping onto Senior's sleeve, I let go. Cringing at the fact, I left a small crease where I grabbed.

Quickly brushing out the area, I sheepishly smiled at Senior.

She merely looked at her sleeve and me before turning away to the old man that took us here.

The old man fumbled in his robes for something and pulled out a ball-shaped item hanging from an old red string.

Immediately, a massive barrier appeared with a vast array on its surface. The ball-shaped item seemingly floated through the air before sliding into a hole on the barrier surface.

Like a lock, the rings on the array began to move until a specific pattern appeared. Once completed, the array disappeared and instead formed a large portal.

I couldn't see what was on the other side as the light coming from the portal was too bright.

"Come on," the old man beckoned us as he casually walked through the portal.

The two of us followed him into the light.

However, what I saw on the other side was not what I had expected.

Rather than some grand-looking mansion befitting of a Grandmaster, was instead a run-down shack.

There was some evidence that this place was once grand, however, after years of disrepair and weathering, the structure seemed to have collapsed on itself, leaving behind a shady looking main hall in the center.

I looked over to Senior to see what her reaction was, and it seemed to be in the same wavelength as my thoughts.

How the heck does this old man live in such a run-down and neglected manor?

"Eh, watch your step," the old man called as he continued to walk to the main hall.

Tiptoeing past all of the cracks and debris, Senior and I walked in silence. Walking up the cracked stone stairs, the old man sat himself down on an old wooden chair. Surprisingly, unlike the rest of the place, the chair appeared to be in relatively good condition.

I couldn't tell what type of wood it was, but it had a dark purple-red hue to it. It had simple carvings, but it looked far better compared to the other broken furniture around the hall.

"Erm, well, this is my first time doing this," the old man scratched his head. "But let's get on with the master-disciple ceremony," taking out an old tea set from his interspatial ring, I could see that there were already two ready-made cups of tea.

Taking one, Senior and I offered the old man the cups of tea. He accepted them with an approving smile as we both kowtowed[1] to him three times.

"Eh, very good," he nodded as he stroked his beard. "Well, I suppose I should introduce myself first. As you hear earlier, I am the Grandmaster of Yun Cai Peak and the peak master of Yu Lan Peak. Surname Luo[2] from Luoyang, zibei Yu[3] from Yuyue and given name Xing[4] from Xingxing. However, you can call me Master or Master Luo," he took a big gulp of tea from wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "Well, I already know your names, so the question is, who's the eldest?"

Seeing as Senior made no move to go, I decided to start first. "This disciple is sixteen years old."

"Has your birthday passed already?"

"Yes, Master, just a few weeks ago."

"Eh, and you, Ye Lian Hua?"

"This disciple is currently seventeen but is going to be eighteen this coming winter."

"Eh, great," he nodded, continuing to stroke his beard in satisfaction. "Well, then that makes Ye Lian Hua my eldest disciple and Zhu Na Ran, my youngest. Well," he lifted himself off from his seat and stretched his arms out. "I'm going to handle the group of kids that I scared back there, but feel free to do as you please. "

And in a whirlwind of air, he disappeared.

[1] kowtow - is the act of deep respect shown by prostration, that is, kneeling and bowing so low as to have one's head touching the ground. In East Asian culture, the kowtow is the highest sign of reverence. It was widely used to show reverence for one's elders, superiors, and especially the Emperor, as well as for religious and cultural objects of worship.

[2] Luo - comes from the name of a major river in the Shaanxi Province, Luo He River.

[3] Yu - Pleased, happy, joyful. In the case with Master Luo's zibei, its a sect given one to indicate what disciple generation one is in. Therefore, he is in the Yu generation of Yun Cai, compared to all of the other elders we've met who are in the Qing generation. Without the sect zibei, his name would be Luo Xing. 

[4] Xing - Star.

Anyways, who would have thought that Master Luo's name means happy star?

Anyways, I hope you guys liked this week's chapter and would leave a comment and review. I love reading as to what you guys have to say!

8