Palace (2)
75 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Achoo," Zhu Na Ran sneezed as she sat in bed. "Euh, this is so crazy," she muttered as she wiped her nose. "I'm nearly at Core Foundation; my body should be immune to these kinds of things."

After the would lake incident, I brought Zhu Na Ran over to the imperial clinic to warm herself up, although she was somewhat reluctant. Insisting the whole way that she was fine and that all she needed was a change of clothes.

Hmm, right. I wasn't about to take any chances of Zhu Na Ran getting sick.

Now in fresh and dry clothes and bundled with cotton quilts, Zhu Na Ran sulked in place as she held a hand warmer.

"Hmm," pouring her a cup of hot tea, I passed it over to her. "Maybe had you rested at proper times, you would be in peak condition."

"Hmph," she pouted as she placed down the small burner and downed the cup of medical tea. "The doc said that this should only be a minor chill."

"Junior Sister," I couldn't believe how dense she was to this. "You jumped and swam into a frozen lake in the middle of winter; it's expected that you might not come out completely unscathed."

"Hrm, boo," she harrumphed as she fell back into the bed. "Well, anyway, how was the meeting with the empress?

Senior Sister took so long that I assumed that I would need to rescue you from the empress."

"Hah," where does she get these silly ideas? "I apologize that I took so long. We just lost track of time."

"Hmm," her head nodded with some difficulty with all the quilts around her. "So… what happened?"

"Nothing happened that was out of the ordinary."

"And that is?"

"Tsk, none of your business," flicking her forehead, I stood up and brushed the wrinkles from my clothes. "Now, stay here and rest until the banquets over. I'll come to pick you up later."

"Wah? But I want to go and see all the festivities!"

"Well, you should've thought about that before you decided to play the hero."

"Hey, someone was in trouble!"

"I know, but I don't like that you disregard your health due to that."

"Hmph," she puffed out her cheeks as she rolled over like a fat caterpillar.

Sigh. "Alright, well, I must go now. I must head to the banquet now. Stay and rest, okay?"

Zhu Na Ran grunted a sound of the agreement before I walked over the door. Waiting for me was one of Eldest Brother's handmaidens that he summons from the estate after hearing about the incident.

"Let's head to the banquet."

---

Quickly rushing beside my brother, he rose a brow at my tardiness. "What happened? What took you so long? You were almost late to the greeting the emperor.

And you're usually, if not always, punctual to these types of functions."

"Sorry, there were some things that I needed to take care of."

"Hmm," he hummed as he opened his fan. "Does it involve having to visit empress aunt?"

I raised a brow at his words. I've told him about Zhu Na Ran's situation, yet nothing about meeting the empress. "How do you know that?"

"Fufu," Eldest Brother smiled behind his fan, giving him a fox-like appearance. "I may be weak, but my gossip abilities are still top-notch."

Heh, right. "Of course, Eldest Brother."

"So, what did empress aunt talk about?"

"The usual."

"The usual?"

"Em."

A few hours ago…

"Second Young Miss Ye has arrived," walking up the steps of the empress's quarters, the elegant red doors opened up to reveal a woman dressed in red and gold finery.  Images of phoenix danced across her fine robes with a beautiful face that had a faint resemblance to my mother.

"Greetings to the empress," kneeling, I bowed before the empress, patiently waiting for her to let me stand up.

"Aiyah, Xiao Hua," the empress sighed with a smile. "We're family, just call me auntie.

Tsk, it's been so long since you've visited this one's palace. Quickly, get up. I want to take a look at you."

"Yes," bowing my head slightly. I stood back up and waited for her to call me over.

"Come, come, this auntie wants to get a better look at you."

Head still bowed, I silently walked over to stand before the empress as she stood up from her seat with the help of her handmaidens.

"Ah, you look so much like my older sister," she sighed as she gently lifted my chin. "You've grown into a fine woman, Xiao Hua."

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

"Tsk, didn't this one tell you just to call me auntie? Why do you need to feel formal with this auntie, you're my niece," she smiled as she patted my shoulder. "Sit, sit, this one wants to make up for the lost time."

Moving to a small tea table beside a window that overlooked the quiet winter outside, maidservants quickly served us a fresh pot of tea.

We've exchanged some small talk here and there, the happenings of the capital and the drama of the harem; however, I could tell that summoning me to her palace to make up for lost time wasn't the real purpose of her bringing me here.

"Xiao Hua," she started as she slowly blew the rising steam from her cup. "Have you found anyone that you've fancied?"

"Em, no, empress aunt," taking a small bite of a piece of cake, I savored its mild sweetness. "This girl has simply been focused on cultivating and taking care of my elders and juniors."

"Ah, yes, I've heard about how you've become the martial aunt of Yun Cai Peak. I'm sure your father has brought up the matter of marriage a few times, yes?"

"Em, that's correct."

"So," the empress has a mysterious smile on her face, "If you wish, this aunt can arrange a marriage for you. I'm sure there are a decent amount of good men wanting your hand, despite your age."

"Thank you, empress aunt. However, I'm content with my current status.

Besides, it's against the rules for us, cultivators, to interfere with mortal politics. We can only be a protector to this realm and nothing more."

"Ah, what a waste," the empress lamented. "Xiao Hua, you're the only daughter of my dear big sister.

This auntie only wants to for you to be taken care of," she sighed as she grabbed my hand.

"There's no need to worry, empress aunt," I tried to satisfy her concerns as I covered her hand with mine. "I won't be alone. I still have my master and my junior and perhaps even a partner in the future.

Empress aunt doesn't need to worry. This girl won't be alone forever."

"Aiyah, I suppose," she sighed as she released my hand to take a sip of tea.

The empress didn't bring up the topic again, granting me a moment of peace.

"No good! Empress!" A maidservant suddenly burst through the doors in a panicked frenzy. "Lady Xu got into a violent argument with Beauty Wang, and now they are rushing over!"

"Ah, alright," she sighed as she took another sip of tea. "This empress will see to it.

Well, Xiao Hua, it looks like this is goodbye for now."

"Em, farewell, empress aunt."

She nodded before beckoning over the maid that escorted me over, "Xiao Zhi escorted my niece back to where she was before, while this one handles this disaster."

"Yes," Xiao Zhu nodded before gesturing to me. "Second Young Miss Ye, if you will please."

As we walked to the imperial garden, a few maidservants, along with the royal doctor, rushed past. "What is going on?"

"Second Young Miss Ye, apparently a young lady supposedly fell into the frozen lake of the imperial garden," Xiao Zhi quickly answered.

"Em, let's hurry and see the commotion." Knowing Zhu Na Ran, if something like this happened in her presence, she wouldn't let it slide.

Rushing towards the garden entrance, we quickly spotted the colorful crowd of women as they gathered around a pair: an unconscious girl and Zhu Na Ran, who had her lips on her.

At the sight of this, my chest strangely ached as I came closer to the commotion.

However, ache fled away, like it never existed as the unconscious girl quickly began to spit up water before Zhu Na Ran carefully draped a cloak on the young girl.

"Junior Sister!" Running over to her side, I pulled her away from the group of ladies.

"Senior Sister," she grinned sheepishly.

"What did I tell you about waiting for me, huh?" Honestly, this girl just attracts trouble like flowers to butterflies. Looking down, I could see that Zhu Na Ran's clothes were thoroughly soaked as I could see, the wet clothes pressing tightly against her skin.

Did she look like this before I arrived? "Goodness and your clothes are all soaked too… aiyah in this weather."

Quickly I took off my cloak and draped it over her body, blocking her state of dress from others.

Hmm, much better.

"Heh, sorry, Senior Sister, but there was someone who was in need, so I couldn't just stand by and do nothing."

"I know," sighing; I couldn't help but lament her big heart. "But what if you got hurt? Hmm, how would you answer me then?"

"Heh, I'll be fine," she shrugged happily.

"Hah, still…"

Were soon interrupted by the girl that Zhu Na Ran had saved earlier. Although her appearance was a bit haggard and pale, I could tell that she was Third Miss Hua Lei from the second-ranked Hua family.

I've heard that Miss Hua Lei and her step-sister had disagreements, but I can't condone that my junior sister was involved. Intentional or not.

Miss Hua Lei left after a few more thanks and left for the imperial clinic. "You should go back inside, too. We can't have you getting sick in this weather."

"Haha, I'll be fine! "It's just a little- Achoo!"

She quickly brushed her nose and acted like nothing happened as she smiled.

Goodness.

Woo~ jealousy~

5