Chapter 5 – The 12 Magic Knight Captains
54 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sebastian and the Captain returned back to the cabin shortly after. But when reaching their they noticed the cabin was a total mess.

It looked as if a hurricane had just passed by the cabin. There were books and papers scattered all across the floor with footprints on them. Also for some reason, the senior guard was lying on the captain’s bed unconscious and little Ivan sitting on his belly with a shady helmet and dusting broom in his hand.

Whereas Martha was sitting on the couch reading some book nonchalantly.

Sebastian rushed to grab hold of Ivan,
“What did you do to him?” asked out loud Sebastian with his wide grin of nervousness, “Did you kill him?!”

“I did nothing! He fell on the bed for and started napping,” replied Ivan.

“Then what are you doing sitting on his belly? and where did you get that helmet from? Return it back at once.” said Sebastian angrily.

“This is mine. You get yours!” replied Ivan cheekily as he tried to run away.
But Sebastian was quick enough to grab hold of Ivan by his collar,
“I told you to return that helmet. It’s not yours to take.”

Ivan though kept a tight hold of that helmet,
“No! It’s mine!!” scowled back little Ivan.

But after a good smack in the head, Ivan finally let go of that helmet.

Sebastian then returned back the helmet to the captain and apologized. Ivan started making quite the fuss while throwing tantrums. But after a couple of more smacks on the head by his big brother, which finally put an end to Ivan's ruckus.

“Martha, I told you to look after Ivan, so why’s the cabin such a mess? Also, why’s that old fart (senior guard) laying on that bed senseless? What did you guys do?” asked perplexed Sebastian.

Martha closed her book,
“You told me to keep an eye and that’s what I did, stopping Ivan from his antics is a whole different matter. “ replied Martha smugly, “As for what happened to the old man; He was playing tag with Ivan (actually he was after the helmet), that is until the old man slipped and hit his head on the wall before passing out on the bed. Don't worry I checked his pulse, so he’s not dead sadly. Other than that incident, nothing much happened that needed my attention.” informed Martha briefly.

Sebastian was quite surprised.
“What! I never thought that old fart would get along with kids so well. This is quite surprising, I hope he’s okay, even though I hate his guts.” replied Sebastian sympathetically.

“Yeah, even I am surprised as well.” added the equally shocked captain, “I never thought that grumpy old Gregor would get along with kids.”

“But earlier you told me that he adored kids, didn’t you?” asked Sebastian skeptically.

Captain just smiled,
“Ah! I did say that, yes. I already knew. It’s just a bit surprising that he got the job done, so it’s all good in the end. As for the mess in this cabin, I will let that old man get it cleaned, once he wakes up. I was looking for a good punishment for today’s incident that he created, anyway.” replied the captain.

A short while after, the Heller trio bid farewell to the captain and left the cabin. This time the captain didn’t vouch to accompany them down the stairs. But before leaving, the captain gave Sebastian a small pouch and whispered something in his ears.

Sebastian was a bit surprised but didn’t question him further and accepted it. After giving him gracious thanks he went down to the garrison. The guards at the garrison handed the Heller trio’s luggage and once again Sebastian thanked the guards.

The guards later apologized for treating Sebastian for today's incident and Sebastian readily accepted their apology. He then asked for directions and the guards were kind enough to write it down on a paper.
The Heller trio thanked once again before heading to the directions as per the instruction.

****

One day till the exam for the selection of magic knights. But today’s the last day for candidates to register themselves so that they could enter this exam. Most of them already had registered beforehand but few were still arriving at the capital. The registrations office will close once the sunsets.
A lot of talented young fighters had gathered at the capital for this year's magic knight exam. In the final stages of the exam, the remaining young candidates have to display their skills and power in a battle royale in front of the 12 magic knight captains.

The battle happens in the Slaughter Laughter Collesium, the biggest arena in the kingdom with the capacity to house 200 thousand spectators. Thousands of people spend tons of money and travel a long distance to watch this event in person. This event was also a way to flaunt the kingdom's strength to the other nations.

Meanwhile, the knight candidate’s gathered in the capital, there was yet much interesting gathering going on as we speak.

On the same day at 11:15 am, there was the meeting taking place at the Brochnello castle situated at the foothills of the Imperial Palace. The 12 magic knight captains had gathered in the meeting room under the commander’s summons. The captains sat around a rectangular table and their vice captain’s stood behind them. Out of the 12 magic knight captains, one has yet to arrive at the meeting hall and it was none other than the commander herself.

The Magic Knight Captains had been waiting patiently and not a single one of them has spoken a word for the past 15 minutes since their arrival. Each of the Magic Knight Captains not only possesses high-class enchanted relics but each of them was a mage. On top of that, all the Captains had a noble heritage so even their mana soul efficiency was quite higher than any average mage. The Magic Knight Captains were quite loyal to the kingdom but they had a deep sense of rivalry among themselves. The rivalry was so deep that it even stemmed from their captains to their fellow squad members.

It wasn’t often all the Magic Knight Captains would gather in one place like today. Hence, the commander had instructed the Captains to remain silent, so they won’t start squabbling and bring down the entire castle down to the ground.

Although, amidst the 12 seated powerful captains there was yet another man dressed in fancy robes and long white hat. He looked quite uncomfortable in the atmosphere in that room that it was almost suffocating.

He finally spoke out,
“How long are you people going to wait for your commander! Let’s just continue the meeting without her.” said the weird-fancily dressed man.

“Now be a little patient, Sir minister. She’ll be here at any moment now,” replied Simmon.

Simmon Godfrey, the captain of the 'Crimson Rams' Magic Knight squad. He was a quite slender and handsome looking man with a charming personality.

“How could I tolerate such tardiness from the commander of the Magic Knight order! This is unbecoming of the Magic Knight order's reputation, I can’t wait any longer. Let’s begin this meeting without her.” saying so the minister stood up, “I am here on behalf of the king to convey his message. The King, as well as the other ministers, decided to cancel this year’s Magic Knight Candidate Exam. We should instead focus on helping the Sinnet house from the Esther kingdom, to bring order and control on their lands. This is a golden opportunity for the Rublor kingdom to expand its lands and the King wants to utilize our army to mobilize in the campaign to bring the lands under control before the other kingdoms.”

“Hey! Slow down king’s stand-in. As Simmon here stated already but as you could see, the Commander isn’t here yet. So just sit and wait a little longer, could you?” replied Egnius, “We all are used to the commander's tardiness and you should too.”

Egnius Dolvadreck, the Captain of 'Amber Twins' Magic Knight Squad. Egnius is short in height and also looks quite young even though he’s in his 30’s. People often mistook him for a kid despite him being the captain Magic Knight Squad. Also, he doesn't like to be called a kid.

The minister got a little agitated,
“How could you Captains get used to her tardiness like that? This is totally absurd! I must report this to the king at once, I return back to the palace.” said the minister angrily while adjusting his glasses, “Also please refrain from calling me 'King’s stand-in' I am the Chief Minister but you could call me ‘Sir Minister’ like captain Simmon here.”

“No, 'King’s stand-in' should do. After all, I was told that King personally would join in this meeting but he sent his scrawny pawn in this meeting, instead,” replied Egnius grumpily while his hands folded.

The minister’s face turned red with anger,
“Captain Egnius! How rude of you calling me King's pawn. I am the Chief Minister looking after our country’s affair under the king’s order. With your words, you are not just insulting me but also our almighty King. If the royal family comes to know of this, then there could be grave consequences. Such remarks won't go unpunished, even if you were a Magic Knight Captain."

Just when a Fergus cuts the conversation,
“A thousand pardons on behalf of Captain Egnius. The fool’s lack of demeanor and etiquettes are just a part of his foolish nature. But I assure you, we Magic Knight Captains wouldn’t wanna upset or make fun of the royal family in any way.” said Fergus with an apologetic and sincere tone, “But the king did send you on short notice, without informing us beforehand. It’s been so long that we Captains met the King in person, that's why we're actually looking forward to meeting him today.”

Fergus Slater, the captain of ‘Coral Scales’ Magic Knight Squad. He had a strong sense of justice and moral ethics. His squad personally looks after the code of conduct in the military.

“Alright, I'll let this slide, this one time. The King already has a lot in mind as it is. That’s why he sent me, in his place.” replied the minister.

“But it would be quite a shame if we cancel this year’s Magic Knight candidate exam.” interrupts Elewisa, “I was really hoping to get to meet some young handsome recruits for sure, this year.”

Elewisa Volvox, the Captain of ‘Hazel Virgins’ magic knight squad. Her squad basically manages the healing department in the military section. Whereas Elewisa herself is one quite talented at her skills of healing but she's quite twisted inside. Elewisa is quite beautiful and charming at first sight but underneath that charade, she was quite the sadist who enjoys the sight of her patient in pain.

“You haven’t changed a bit, captain Elewisa. I thought you would reflect on your squad's recent failure and moping in shame. But sadly, you didn’t learn anything from your mistake.” said Katrina with a grin, “I thought you would have a shred of shame in your body but alas, I wished for something impossible.”

Katrina Bourbon, the Captain of ‘Purple Centaurs’ Magic Knight squad, another beauty almost as Captain Elewisa. Elewisa and Katrina had known each other since childhood as both the Bourbon and Volvox family were quite close. Although, the two girls never got along because of their opposite traits, ever since.

“What’s this I am hearing from you? That's cute! Are you perhaps worried about me, Little Kitty,” said Elewisa tauntingly as she giggled.

Katrina got upset all of a sudden.
“Don’t you dare call me THAT! The name’s Katrina and you’ll address me as such.” said Katrina in a vigorous tone, “Do I make myself clear?”

Elewisa smiled back,
“Sure, whatever you say, little kitty-cat,” she replied with a giggle.

Katrina was embarrassed and angry at the same time.
Her pinkish blush and red textures were visible at her face.

Katrina's parents gave her the nickname ‘Kitty’ when she was just a kid. Although, Katrina didn’t want other people to know her embarrassing nickname. No one knew this until Elewisa finally found out from her mom.
Now their relationship been worsening day by day.

“You think I am in the mood for a joke? Do you make light of my warnings?” Katrina stood up from her seat, “If so, then let’s just end this our little matter for once and for all. Let me show you, your place you wretched whore!”

Suddenly, the room fell silent and the atmosphere became intense.

“Oh boy, not this again when I was just having a good nap” squealed Quincy as he yawned after waking up, “I was really having a good dream, damn it!”

Quincy Lynch, the captain of the ‘Charcoal Goats’ and the most laid back captains of all. He would rather enjoy taking a nap unlike the other Captain’s rearing to showing off their skills and power.

“What… what did you just call me?” asked Elewisa as her eyebrows twitched with anger, “Could you perhaps repeat that?”

To that Katrina just laughed,
“Oh, wasn’t that YOUR nickname, or did I perhaps pronounce it wrong or should I call you a prostit-”

“You bitch!” screamed Elewisa as she stood up from her seat, “I will fucking gut you down like a little bitch you are! I will remove your insides and feed them to the dogs while keeping you alive. You'll wriggle in agony as you watch the dogs eat your organs bite by bite!”

The two Magic Knight Captains were in a standoff as they stared intensely neither of them backing out. The two angry Captain's mana started discharging from their mana soul into the air, both trying to assert their dominance to show their strong resolution. The pressure was so intense that the Captain's mana could be seen oozing from their body to a naked eye.

“Captain please calm down,” pleaded Katrina’s vice-captain as she grabbed her arm, “This isn’t the time to start a fight.”

“She’s right, Captain Elewisa." said Elewisa's vice-captain, "Please calm yourself. The last thing we want is that two captains bringing down this castle to the ground."

Although the two angry Captains weren’t going to budge.
The atmosphere in the room became explosive as they released their mana discharge was going haywire.

“Can the two of you do this some other time?” asked Quincy, “I would like to get back to that dream and check which of the stag beetles won the duel. Peace out.” saying so, Quincy just laid back on his seat and fell asleep amidst this chaos.

“I can’t believe he's sleeping at such a time.” said Fergus as he facepalmed, “Why do we make such troublesome people as the Captain of our Magic Knight Order. He could at least try to restrain himself in front of the minister.”

“No need to worry about the minister. He already passed out, thanks to our two hot-headed ladies.” informed Simmons, “Could someone bother to stop them before their feud escalates anymore? If nothing is done, the minister might just die under the two captain’s mana soul pressures.”

The minister had passed out on the table while foaming from his mouth. His eye whites were visible and he was having trouble breathing. When a mage activates their mana soul to use mana, their body creates a pressure of mana around it, which could harm other people, if their body wasn’t trained to withstand such pressure. Although, the Magic Knight Captain’s mana soul pressure was on a whole different level that even a normal healthy person could succumb to their death. Thankfully the minister wasn’t dead yet because he also happened to be a mage himself, although lesser capabilities than the captains.

“Fine, leave this to me.” interrupted in Logan, “The last thing we want is the minister dying in the presence of the captains.”

Logan Cross, the captain of ‘Silver Crabs’ magic knight squad and also the most handsome guy in the country. Logan has been voted as the sexiest man to be alive in the world, according to the latest ‘Knight popularity survey’.

Logan got up from his seat and kept his hands on Katrina and Elewisa's shoulders,
“Girl’s, please calm down. It hurts to see, two beauties such as you two quarrel over simple things. It wrings my heart with a sorrow that I just couldn’t bear it.” said Logan with tear eyed and gloomy face.

Both Katrina and Elewisa quickly yielded to Logan’s sentimental request. The two captains finally calmed down and with that their mana soul pressure was lifted from the room.

Elewisa sat back on her seat.
“Fine! I will let her go this time, just because you are being cute today,” she said to Logan.

“If that’s what Captain Logan wants, then I would oblige to his request.” said Katrina and then turned towards Elewisa, “But remember, this matter will not end anytime soon.”

“Yeah, yeah, like I could ever forget. I will make sure to pay you in full.” replied back Elewisa.

The two captains finally had calmed down and disaster was averted. But some were not happy with this outcome.

“Damn you, Logan! It was finally getting so interesting...” shrieked out Captain Rafael, “You had to interfere and stop it.”

Rafael Schrizmatron, the captain of ‘Black Scorpion’ and quite the eccentric person in the entire band of captains. Calling the guy crazy, would be just an understatement.

“Little bloodshed would liven up this boring meeting of ours, but you had to ruin the fun,” said Rafael with a disappointed tone.

“I agree with Rafael at this matter.” backed Egnius while nodding his head “I am bored as well.”

Logan just sat back and smiled without saying anything.

Fergus wouldn’t let this slide.
“What do you mean little bloodshed? This would almost be a disaster if those two women were not stopped. Thanks to Logan’s expertise in handling such matters carefully, we averted such a crisis. And here you two wanted to see them fight it out?!” asked Fergus angrily then he turned to Captain Azuleza, “Could you bother to say something Captain Azuleza.”

Azuleza Kraken, the captain of the ‘Blue Waterbearer’ magic squad and quite the silent type guy. He wasn't much of a person to mingle with other people.

Azuleza just glanced at Captain Fergus,
“The other captain’s are doing enough damage as it is. So keep me out of this,” replied Azuleza as he closed his eyes and sat back on his seat like always.

Fergus just sat back on his seat with a glum look,
“I see. Man of few words, like always.”

Just when Fergus noticed Captain Dracon at the corner seat eating something by himself.

“What are you doing, eating in the meeting room?!” screamed enraged Fergus, “Could you not see that we are sitting in the presence of the chief minister?!"

Dracon stopped eating his large beef sandwich and looked at Fergus,
“You mean that unconscious dude with a freaky white cap? But isn’t he dead, already?” asked Dracon as he took one more bite from his sandwich.

Dracon Hansvil, captain of the ‘Bronze Bulls’ and he was quite the giant reaching the height of 2.5 meters. He also had quite a big appetite for his huge body.

Fergus noticed that the minister was still unconscious,
“Ah! Just stop eating already! Also, somebody could fix the minister, he doesn’t seem to be dead, yet.” said Fergus as he checked the minister’s pulse, “All the female captains in our order are a piece of work except for little Iris here. You should learn a thing or two from her.”
Fergus said as he pointed at a little girl seated along with the captains.

“I am very flattered by your kind words, Captain Fergus” thanks Iris, “But please stop calling me ‘little girl’. I may be 9 years old but I am a fellow captain like you, so I would request you treat me equally.”

Iris Zaltrov, the captain of ‘Emerald Fishes’ Magic knight squad and a prodigy mage to be born in the Rublor kingdom to the Zaltrov noble house. At a young age of 6, Iris became a magic knight and at the age of 9, she was promoted to the Captain rank.

“My apologies, Captain Iris.” apologized Fergus politely, “I mean no ill. Just wanted the other fellow captains to follow your example.”

“That’s okay, but I would like it if you don’t mention my age, every now and then,” replied Iris.

“She’s just a brat!” said Elewisa in a mocking tone.

“Stop that Captain Elewisa! She’s a captain like you and me.” defended Fergus.

Although, Elewisa ignored Fergus and looked the other way.
“You should apologize to her at once,” demanded Fergus.

“It’s alright," said Iris, "There’s no need for an apology.”

“No, it’s not okay!” insisted Fergus.

Captain Elewisa didn't like Captain's Fergus remarks.
“You have a thing for little girls, Captain Fergus?” asked Elewisa, "You should stay away from him Iris."

“Oh god, not this again…” said Captain Simmon.

“What did you just say!” said Fergus angrily stood up from his seat, "I would like to know what are you trying to say, Captain Elewisa."

"Nothing at all." replied Elewisa nonchalantly, "I just told her to be careful, that's it."

"Calm down, Captain Fergus." insisted Simmon.

"This is getting interesting now, haha," said Rafael as he giggled.

"Fight! Fight! Fight!" screamed Egnius.

"Shut up! Trying to sleep here!" shrieked out Quincy.

Just when the meeting door slam opens.
The one who opened the door was a slender looking woman with an eye patch accompanied by a petite looking girl standing next to her.

“Oh, see that.” said Cecelia, “I told you, Ellisa. The captains were getting along just fine.”

Cecelia Nevarthalises, the captain of ‘Fiery Lions’ Magic Knight Squad as well as the commander of the Magic Knight order. She has a bad temper which tends to make her violent than the most captains. But thanks to her vice-captain, Ellisa Reeves who kept Cecelia in check all the time.

Cecelia noticed a fancily dressed dude passed out on his seat,
“What’s the minister doing, sleeping here? And where's the King?” asked puzzled Cecelia.

2