Book 3: Chapter 4: Lord: Cells of Stories
185 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Some time after the end of the summoning ritual>

 

This place sure is grim and dark alright, I think I have been here only once or twice, considering we haven’t used it for anything before it has to be expected that this place isn’t visited often aside from to clean it up, in case of actually being used. In one cell is a blonde parfol girl and a demonic mirror, in another a kitsune is sitting there contemplating while the jerleeds woman also do the same, her forked tail stay still as its owner, her leather wings barely moved while the woman herself can only stare into space, another woman is also in the cell, a dovermon woman who can only shift her fingers about as a way to pass time, and the last one with one occupant the oni girl is asleep, seems none of them noticed me just yet, since it’s completely dark and seeing anything is flat out not possible, sure demons can see through the dark way better than humans even if not all of them have innate night visions, but near complete darkness in a dark cell seeing anything is still next to impossible.

That encounter in the castle was certainly something else, that woman blocked her own status page from me and overall seems very experienced in these kind of scenarios, neither of us really expected such a thing but thinking about it a little and it should’ve been clear, with many people summoned the likelihood of someone who is experienced in such a field to appeared, it’s a good thing we improvised on the fly and keep hiding our status page or the jig might be up… then again her actions are weirdly conservative all things considered, neither of us tried that hard since it’s all an act, but it’s almost like she’s in on it… how strange… well none of that mattered right now, I’m back as my usual appearance with way more simple design, that form I designed for myself a long time ago that Kaa-san teased about on some occasions certainly came in handy.

I’m alone right now while Rosia simply waits elsewhere, a bit of a strange call considering I’m usually fine with letting her tag along whenever, but considering her behavior so far I think I should talk to them myself instead of siccing her onto them. I haven’t said much to any of them ever since they’re imprisoned here, and I’m going to change that now.

*Shine*

I brightened up the place which immediately prompted reaction from all of them except the oni girl, I forcibly made her stay asleep after all. The mirror didn’t do anything while the parfol, kitsune, dovermon, and jerleeds initially covered their eyes for a few seconds before opening them and saw me looking at them, the cells of both sides are on the opposite side and can be seen clearly looking through the bars. They were already acquainted I’d imagine though I have no idea how much they have converse with each other if at all. They all stared at me with either aggression or fear.

“What’s your purpose, demon?” The kitsune said bravely through her cell, standing up and looking at me awkwardly as she still hasn’t accustomed herself to her new body just yet.

“I’m just doing this for the sake of doing it, turning you all into demons to forcibly turn you to my side. Teelen, or whatever you call yourself now, remember what I said?” I replied casually while prodding the dovermon woman, who reacted to my call rather unenthusiastically.

“Right, poaching, turns out you do so by forcing us on your side” She said uninterestedly. Doesn’t look like she particularly cares, though a tint of anger can be heard still, I’ll release her sooner or later since she wants her freedom so much.

“To think the companion of the Hero is a demon… how is it possible you’re not killed already?” Yutal or whatever her name will be from now said trying not to lash out, probably thinking doing so might end up with her getting killed. 

“Simple, she did and didn’t do anything” I replied mindlessly, it’s just how it is. Yutal looked in shock while the ex-priest’s eyes widened as she heard that and moved her head and shook it in brief denial, letting her pale chartreuse hair move around.

“W-What are you implying?” Yutal asked, sounding a bit horrified.

“Exactly as I said, she knew who I was the whole time, she doesn’t see anything wrong with it” I bluntly stated, not quite getting to the point just yet. Still referring to them in their old name doesn’t feel like with how not feminine it sounds, I mean I think Yutal is more unisex than anything, but Teelen and especially Ozi I don’t think so, what was that oni girl’s former name again? It was pretty masculine if I remember correctly.

“How come you can use light magic without any problem?” The ex-priest asked, trying to stay composed, but it’s clear she’s still terrified of me.

“Light magic isn’t too effective against demons unlike what the church propaganda would have you believe, I fancied myself as a light magic expert actually, I would make anyone from the church look completely inadequate by comparison” I smugly explained as I played around with the light in my hand. The parfol girl has been silently watching the whole time having no idea what I’m talking about with them.

“Can you please let me go now?” Teelen or whatever said sounding sick of this conversation. She certainly doesn’t like being locked up.

“Well since you asked nicely sure, just please don’t try to escape the forest okay? It’s a massive maze as you already know” I said so much to the bewilderment of the two cell mates.

*Zoom* *Grab* *Zoom*

I quickly teleported in and out of the cell along with her, still having that blonde hair and human appearance. I also brought all of the stuff I confiscated from her and put it in a bag and handed it over to her. She looked shocked that I just let her out so easily, it has to be expected of course.

“You can roam around the castle for now if you want, try to not interact with Rosia lest she tries something questionable, the grey hood woman should be able to assist you if you find her, also please don’t enter any rooms, and try to pick a more girly name for your new self” I instructed with a smile and show her the exit, Rosia is in her room so I doubt they’ll both met, but I might as well warned her first.

“O-Okay then” She dumbly said as she carried her bag and walked up the stairways. 

Their reactions are hilarious I must say, just completely dumbfounded at the leniency of my action.

“W-What are you even doing?” Yutal asked completely dumbfounded with a hilarious expression on her face.

“Well to be fair she did ask for freedom before this whole thing” I replied nonchalantly, which just made all of them all the more confused.

“What? So he’s aware of your nature?” Yutal asked for confirmation.

“Yeah, in fact you’re the only one without a single clue” I replied with a hearty laugh, she turned to look at Ozi still sitting down on the floor.

“W-Why didn’t you say anything father Ozi!?” She asked, looking incredulous.

“By the time I figured it out so many things happened at once, I was almost assassinated, she rescued me then… turned me into this” She explained sounding somewhat ashamed. Man of the cloth to woman of the sin, yeah not a great look at all and brim with irony. Yutal somehow looked even more dumbfounded than before. She is certainly being aggressive more than I thought, then again maybe it’s just Ozi naturally being more composed over all.

“Hey blonde girl, you haven’t said a single thing so far, what do you have to say on the topic?” I said to the silent girl in the cell on the other side. She’s taken a bit by surprise it seems.

“What is there to even talk about? I have no idea what’s going on!” She said sounding hurtful, well it’s obvious that’s the case, imprisoned in a cell probably does that to you, being in a different body certainly doesn’t help. I wonder if I should change the topic.

“Hey, how is your new gender treating you all?” Seems they’re even more dumbfounded that I just change the topic on the fly, but it doesn't look like any of them dared to point it out, just as I expected. Both the parfol and jerleeds just look uninterested in my question.

“Can’t believe you have taken away our gender as well, what’s even your purpose for doing so?” Yutal asked, she just has to deflect. Before I could say anything Ozi began raising her voice.

“From little I know from talking to the two they’re both attracted to those of the same sex, she changed our sex because she likes women more” Ozi explained comprehensively, throughout this whole thing Yutal’s ears and tail has been twitching for a while, every time she reacted to something in fact, it’s fun to watch.

“Yep, that’s just how it is. Perhaps it seems irregular to you that some considered those of the same sex more attractive, but that’s just how it is, people are more varied than that. Still the two look rather indifferent to their sex change specifically, what about you Yutal Trania?” I said with a condescending smile, asking her in return.

“It’s… I can deal with this, it’s all fine” She vaguely muttered. I’m not sure if she’s trying to put on a brave front or something else is going on, but she doesn’t look distressed about her new gender at least. Now I believe it’s time to talk about something else. Something I was planning on talking about but never did.

“I suggested changing your names, all of you looked different, different race, different gender, all of that stuff. Tell me, what is your new name?” I asked. I give them the leniency of letting them choose their name themselves, if they can even make such a decision. I turn to look at the parfol first.

“Um… Pa…” Seems she’s trying to think of a name similar to what I was referring to her as, her race.

“Say it out loud” I said with a slightly poisonous tone, pressuring her into saying it, making the final decision.

“P-Palla” She hesitantly said. I wonder if my presence in general has been pressuring them this entire time or is it something else, they all seem to be somewhat obedient without me saying much after all.

“What about you then? One who used to be called Yutal Trania” I asked with a smirk. She simply looked at me dubiously in return.

“Geh…” She let out a sound of distress, not what I’m looking for.

“Come on and out with it, make your name sound like Yuuna’s if you can’t come up with anything… did I touch a nerve?” Her ears perked up when I mentioned her sister’s name, I never mentioned that she’s alive in my custody and lives happily here did I.

“To believe you dared to say that name…” She muttered, clearly letting me hear what she had to say, her face and tone full of rage and sorrow, way more than when I mentioned her before.

“What? She’s here living with me, what’s wrong with me using her name?” I asked, trying to sound oblivious, which makes her all the more confused.

“W-What does that mean?” She asked, wanting to know the full story.

“She lives here, the same race as you in fact, been here living and having fun” I tactlessly answered. She now looked like she had a few screws loose just from a couple of nonchalant responses.

“So… she’s here?” She hoarsely asked. The ex-priest simply ignores the conversation while the parfol still doesn’t really know what’s going on. 

“Yeah, wanna see her? I’ll go ask for her opinion on the matter if you say so” I said very much not sounding malicious in the slightest, I’m pretty genuine about what I said.

“How can I even be certain you’re telling the truth?” She asked, still distrustful of me, because of course, why shouldn’t she be?

“What I have is genuine facts, well since you don’t believe me I’ll just bring her along with me myself” I said ready to walk off and bring Yuuna here.

“W-Wait!” She shouted out, which made me look back at her taken a bit off guard. I just stared at her.

“What?” I flatly asked. Her mouth stuttered, her eyes almost tearing up.

“...Tell her… her sister Yuria is here” She said, sounding like she’s in pain. There’s a big story behind that, and I won’t sully such a thing, so I’ll do as she asked, I’m not heartless enough to deny such a request.

“Heard you loud and clear” I replied in a tone that is completely serious, conveying the message that I will do as she asked, I will honor her request. Her face brightened up slightly.

I walked out of the dungeon quietly… okay, time to go to Yuuna, make sure not to screw anything up.

*Zoom*

I teleported into the room of Revia and Yuuna, both of them reacted in surprise but immediately saw my face, I mean business here. I look at Yuuna still with a calm face, even if she’s no genius I am sure anyone can tell what I’m about to bring to their attention… isn’t a light topic.

“Yuuna… I bring your sister, Yuria, here” I melancholically said, she reacted by immediately standing up with her ears perking up and her tail wiggling wildly, her eyes widened and stared at me completely shocked. A story that I’m unaware of I’m certain, this isn’t about me, so I better not say anything further.

“...Where?” She asked, sounding completely serious and emotional, Revia looked at her concerned with her friend’s behavior.

“I… told her to wait somewhere. Should I bring you to her? Or her to you?” I asked an important question. She doesn’t question my use of pronouns at all, that alone told a thousand words. Yuuna looked at me, and then at Revia, then back at me, then back at Revia.

“She can be here, she’s your sister right?” Revia innocently and warmly told her opinion. Yuuna smiled warmly back at her, then looked back at me.

“Bring her here” She firmly answered. I nodded in return. 

*Zoom*

I teleported back to the dungeon with the light illuminating the cells. Yut-... Yuria stands there noticing me quickly. She raised her face to look at me through the bars.

“Well, she said to bring you to hear, she said so, so you’ll come with me” I said grabbing her through the bars and-

*Zoom*

Teleported us to the front of the door to their room. She stands there observing the surrounding area, the dark hallway, the many doors that can be seen, how everything seems so endless in such a massive yet lonely place. I still hold her wrist tight making sure she doesn’t run away.

*Open*

I open the door gently… 

“Sister…” Yuuna muttered as she saw Yuria and I walked in, despite the clear changes to the physical body she still recognized her, despite her claim of not caring for any of her old family members anymore, this is certainly a massive contradiction. It’s none of my business to interfere with whatever they have to say, I’ll just leave it here. Perhaps they’ll call out to me later

*Zoom*

“Well, that was one heartfelt reunion, now then Ozi, what do you have to say for yourself? Your new self?” I said glaring at Ozi, provoking her into taking actions. She looks at me and certainly does not trust me.

“Tell me… is anything the church said about your kind true at all?” Unexpected words came out of her mouth, it’s intriguing to see a man of god asked such a question, however she doesn’t answer mine.

“You’re not in any rights to ask any further until you name yourself, jerleeds” I intimidatingly said glaring at her with higher intensity. Jerleeds, the Demon with forked tail and a wing, they’re slightly higher than parfol on the ranking but not by much, nor do they have any notable power to their name, Kaa-san once mentioned that this type of demon was once sighted and mentioned ‘in the west’, but never elaborated beyond that, but considering where this place is… she must’ve talked about America just then.

Demons in general are weird with how humans perceived them and how accurate those are, succubus and incubus are pretty famous kinds of demons, and for the most part how people think of them is accurate, however I have never heard of a parfol before coming to this world, despite the fact that a demon of such description exist in a fictional work in the other world’s Japan. In fact the subraces of demons are very vaguely defined in the old world barring famous examples like succubus and incubus.

Still I better get back on topic, she’s still sitting there silently as I stared at her, she’s lost in thought perhaps.

“My name is… Ziea” She forced the word out of her mouth, it’s a nice name, if not exactly common. I guess I’ll answer her question then.

“Ziea, what a nice name. For your question… here’s the underlying problem” I said squatting down to see her at eye level, face to face.

“You humans have no idea who you’re messing with, it’s that simple of a fact, even if you have an inkling of what demons are, your delusion of god’s existence and protection hampered the growth of humanity, humans are using imaginary beings as a crutch for their confidence, and such unwarranted confidence leads to doom, such motivating lie that cause overconfidence. Some of what they said is true, some of our kind do target humans, some look a bit monstrous, but you what we aren’t? We’re not human, we’re not evil by our own standards, and we don’t give a damn about what you humans think of us, a way more inferior beings with nothing but their wits and arrogance. The church is lying, but it’s less about them lying about us, but it’s more of them lying about you. I will give you special credit however, what humans have fought in the past are not demons, they’re demi-humans, they’re just humans with slightly different parts, you’re absolutely correct in that regard, they’re really no different from humans, unlike us. Satisfied?” I explained as my eyes flashed red, vampires can naturally do this if their default eye colors aren’t blood red already. She looks scared and lost, but not enough to fall into panic and tears, still a strong person underneath it seems.

“Y-Yes” She meekly said trying to say something to not make me grow impatient. Now what to do with her.

“Okay then, now what should I do with you? Anything in mind to spare yourself of anything unsavory?” I smirked saying so still looking at her. She knows full well if she doesn’t say anything then I’ll probably just sicc her somewhere uncomfortable, what it might be I don’t have a clue myself so I hope she came up with something.

“Can I just… simply stay here for now?” She asked.

“As in the cells or…” I asked for confirmation.

“Where else? Probably better than whatever you have in mind” She replied almost scorning. I was thinking of somewhere more pleasant.

“I mean I could try to set up a room for you, I think that’ll be better than a cell” I said with sincerity, I might be a demon caring only for my own amusement but there’s really not much amusement to be made from letting someone living their life in a cell, it’s a unnecessarily cruel move I’d say. She just looked at me dumbfounded for who knows how many times.

“Wha-Why would you?” She asked not really sure what to say, I then stood back up and looked at the other cell.

“What about you two? Want a room here? Better than a stupid cell?” I asked for their opinion on this as well.

“Y-Yes!” Palla said, taken off-guard by my sudden question. The mirror still doesn’t do anything, perhaps still accommodating her strange existence.

“Yeah you can all just ask in the beginning you know? Plenty of room to spare” I said with a smile you wouldn’t expect from a demon, but at least I finished dealing with them now, so I don’t really care. I might not have a lot to deal with compared to the humans, but I’d rather get things done quickly and relax, a whole month of it if nothing goes wrong.

10