Book 3: Chapter 26: Majo: Romantic Night
134 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Both of us are sitting in a tree log downed who-knows-when, well actually the woman besides me most likely knows. The night became darker and bluer, and in such an old world the sky is very beautiful. She has calmed down a bit as we sit down close and don’t try to fight each other. The light from my spell still luminates the surroundings and allows us to see each other clearly.

“So? How about we share each other’s name? What’s yours?” I asked, looking at her and trying to break the ice. She seemed a bit hesitant and unsure still, if thankfully no longer showing any sign of lashing out. I already know her name through that thing, but formality is important.

“My name… is Rumel” She replied, taking a second there, is her name well known or something?

“And I am Reiza. Seems your name is known in some parts if you are so hesitant in saying it” I said my own name in turn and commented. She seems puzzled at my comment if not in a bad way at least.

“Well… I am hunted and all” She noted hearing me say so.

“A bounty on your head? Must be hard” I replied, giving her some sympathy. I know full well such a life isn’t easy, I know full well that the life of someone with a mark on their head is nothing short of tragic and full of hardship.

“Yeah…” She replied sounding a bit pained. I’ll turn that frown upside down soon enough.

“I’m sure there is a way out of it, it'll be hard but soon enough you won’t have to leave in fear anymore” I said reassuringly if not certain how well she’ll receive that comment. Her face doesn’t look much better but at least it’s improving.

“That’s such an optimistic way to say it” She replied clenching her demonic arm and shaking her head, she really isn’t doing good on the outlook side.

“Hey, at least I exist, it can’t all be bad” I said a bit jokingly pointing at myself and grinning a bit. Now she’s looking at me like I’m someone very silly.

“I’m not even completely sure what your deal is. So who are you then?” She replied and asked me in return.

“Me? I’m an adventurer of course. From a faraway place as I have said before, like really really far away, and has gone to many places. Some parallel each other like different realities” I answered saying it in a way that doesn’t mention different worlds. 

“Not from here and no idea what I am… How fortunate” She commented in a quiet voice.

“I mean even if you have a bounty on you I can’t see myself doing anything bad to you” I replied with a small smile looking straight at her. She looked at me somewhat flustered at my choice of words, and seemed unsure of what to say.

“Sorry, was that such a strange thing to say?” I followed up and asked. She shakes her head in response.

“Well, at least it’s better than what I have dealt with so far. It’s nice… to actually talk” She replied and clearly began opening up a bit, good to see her opening up already, otherwise I’ll be unsure of how to help her.

“And I can continue to talk” I replied with a smile looking at her still, then down at the elephant in the room. What is the deal with her arms? She seems very ashamed of it that much I can see with how she reacts to my eyeing on them.

“Ah. It’s gross to look at isn’t it?” She asked, deprecating herself and looking down, crossing her demonic arms and trying to make them less noticeable.

“Honestly no” I replied very tactlessly. It’s not very frightening or gross to be honest. The arms are humanoid but certainly monstrous in some parts to be certain, however I think that can easily be overlooked, I don’t see how it undermined her humanity or beauty. She is taken back once again at my comment, honestly she should have stopped expecting the obvious or normal from me already.

“You’re sick in some way I swear” She said in exasperation. What’s with the story behind an extra pair of arms anyway? I feel like I should know more about it.

“Heh, that’s fine by me. Anyway what’s the deal with the extra pair of arms? That’s something even I know full well is unusual” I asked her in a casual tone to not pressure her too much, can’t let her caved in too much to the point of unable to say or do anything.

“Well… It’s not something that I’m too comfortable talking about” She replied not trying to look too depressed. She’s definitely begun trying to be friendly towards me at least, trying to be comfortable seeing me being so open minded to the point of possibly crazy. 

“Hey, that’s fine. Regardless of how that came to be at least you’re still you” I said trying to reassure her once again as the star shines in the night sky. Am I being too gentle with her or does she need all of it? I don’t know but I know that she definitely needs it.

“Haha… Thanks, can’t believe you actually talked to me still” She replied. How many times has she mentioned something like that? It’ll become a mantra at some point if this keeps up.

“Hey now, when did I tell you to repeat stuff?” I tapped her shoulder suddenly and looked at her playfully, saying so to try to snap her out of deprecating herself further.

“A-Ah sorry, my bad” She replied stuttering a bit at my sudden insistence.

...Yeah a sudden call out made her go a bit silent and so am I. Just taking a bit of time after a back and forth.

“...So how has your life here been so far? If that’s not too personal” I asked breaking the silence.

“Just been trying to get out of everyone’s way really. I really try to not do anything too severe and… It’s not working all that well” She replied, getting her mood down again.

“Well you can’t win them all, I’d say if there isn’t an army out to get you you’re probably doing alright” I said a bit jokingly, even if that’s not exactly an exaggeration. She chuckled a bit hearing me say that.

“That’s nice of you to say… But why are you in this place then? You said you were from somewhere far away weren’t you?” She replied and asked, sounding a bit more lighthearted. Tilting her head looking at me curious as to what exactly my deal is.

“A rude summoning is what I’ll call it. There’s a bit of a commotion going around, maybe you have less encounters in the past week or so?” I began explaining by asking her first of all. She ponders on it for a bit.

“Yeah… Sounds about right, what exactly happened out there? I do remember the sky being painted black for a second” She answered and gave a bit of details herself.

“Apparently, and I do mean apparently. There’s this whole Demon Lord deal that people at the capital aren't quite ready to deal with themselves so they just have to drag some strangers, my friend and I to help deal with their mess” I explained which caused her to take pause and look a bit concerned.

“Demon Lord… That does sound troubling… Demons… So you’re here to deal with the demons that are supposedly around?” She asked for clarification and looked at me a bit scared. Oh right her second pair is clearly demonic looking at least.

“Eh, I don’t really care as long as nothing of value was lost. These demons or whatever can do as they pleased, just don’t mess with me or my friends” I answered her honestly and casually. I don’t really discriminate against demons, and certainly not a hybrid like her. She seems pretty relieved hearing that.

“I see… Well considering what you did just now you could probably deal with it, I mean it’s miraculous I even survived. No way I could’ve beat someone who is so fast they can use it to do something that silly” She commented, sounding much more calm and casual, talking with her has been pretty easy so far compared to Floria, but I won’t hold it against her nor does that mean anything.

“Heh. Well I did say we’re on a completely different level. You may have the power of demons or whatever but I have experience, lots of it” I replied. If I was about the same level as her she probably would have a higher stats, or at least close to mine.

Speaking of which I never get the weird glitchy text that is one of my traits, seems weirdly broken honestly. Just boost my stats to the level comparable to demons why don’t you? More or less why I have a much easier time against demons than I actually should considering their naturally superior power, physical or otherwise, being way less of a problem with these weird powers I just have, making me look like some sort of overpowered protagonist with the most obscene of abilities.

“I can see that. To think I even tried to attack you, you were completely right… Ah I went on a bit of a tangent there didn’t I? Sorry about that” She almost went on a self-deprecating parade again but thankfully pulled out of it, scratching her cheek awkwardly looking at me.

“Eh you’ll get out of it soon. Still I believe that you’re worth protecting despite the mishaps just now” I said that and her face went a bit red again, are people here very prone to flustering or what?

“T-Thanks” She replied looking a bit awkward, she really doesn’t deal with compliments very well despite being far from the worst at socializing. 

“The night is a beautiful shade of blue like yours, I think the scene is quite lovely with you in the night” I commented as I felt her hair. Was this perhaps too much again? At least she’s not lashing out again.

“A-Ahaha… What a nice compliment from you… I wasn’t expecting a woman to say all those things to me” She replied very sheepishly. She looks like she’s shrinking with how she’s awkwardly bending herself down and her head bowed down to not look directly at me, using four of her arms to shield her embarrassment no less! As for her comment… Guess it’s not a common or at least known thing just yet… should I clarify or not? I mean might as well.

“Well when said woman finds another woman more appealing than a man I think it makes more sense does it not?” I said a bit casually.

“Eh?” She took pause as she suddenly jerked back up, taking a glance at me with no sign of dishonesty in what I said, was that even a bigger shock for her than what I said before.

“Did I stutter?” I asked a bit playfully as I continued to stare at her. She looked like she crashed, like machines. Just freeze.

…She’s really just staring at me awkwardly and looking like a statue more than anything else. I think I need to say something before she just flat out freezes forever.

“Now now, I’m more gentle and comfortable than any. You can be assured I wouldn’t do anything funny without your consent” I said with a flirty grin and a wink, which while doesn’t make her completely thawed she sure is shaking a bit. I wrapped my arms around her and patted her. She’s shaking even harder I swear.

...I do it for a while then let go feeling like her body is getting hotter and redder, I think I perhaps overstepped the boundary a bit too much.

“Oh dear, was that too much?” I asked, not sounding too guilty. I’m not really all that regretful over that honestly, just trying to prove a point.

She’s certainly trying to compose herself after what I just did, and of course certainly try her best. Despite her looking slightly intimidating with those arms she sure has a cute and shy side. Hopefully I didn’t just shut her off.

“I’m… fine…” She said as if panting and in desperate need for air. She’s shaking her head and trying to look at me straight in the eyes, the eyes that look unapologetic yet welcoming, at least that’s how I think I look right now at any rate.

“Was my point proven?” I asked teasingly, tilting my head and waiting for her response. She’s still a bit shaken by the earlier teasing but definitely began recovering still.

“Yeah. I guess. I don’t even know how men do it, I never dealt with this topic before” She answered with a bit of squirming at the end. Feels like I’ve just been bullying her this whole night, maybe a different approach?

“So that was your first time? That was just the more platonic stuff anyway, no need to be too shaken up over it” I replied. I don’t think it takes a genius to know what I did wasn’t inherently sexual but I might as well spelled it out for her that I didn’t try anything severe just yet.

“Really? I honestly thought you were… Guess I misjudged you again” She responded with a sigh of relief and a bit ashamed of herself for overreacting, I mean it’s still the first time anyone has done that to her do I’d say the reaction is more justified than she might think, but there’s no need to bring that up.

“Well let’s not think too hard about it. How about we talk about something else, we got the night to ourselves do we not?” I said with a wink. She’s adapting to my inherently flirty attitude if still clearly a bit susceptible.

“Sure…” She replied, and contrasting what she said she’s clearly unsure, the irony.

“Alright then let’s talk a bit more about yourself why don’t we? Anything you want to share with me perchance? Something I can help out with?” I asked with a friendly smile, looking at her anticipating an answer.

“Umm… There’s nothing really, I’ve just been here and not doing a single thing at all. Trying to survive and all that” She said a bit hesitantly. I’m not sure if she’s lying or what exactly but hesitation is usually a sign of something.

“Are you certain?” I asked now with a glare instead of a stare, as if trying to interrogate her.

“Y-Yeah! I just don’t like being involved with others, I think it’ll be better if it stayed that way” She replied scratching her temple. Guess she’s not too open just yet, should’ve expected that.

“Okay okay. If you don’t want to tell me then let’s leave it at that. Let’s talk about something else then… Can you really not rejoin human society?” I asked a more heavy topic, no doubt something she might not want to tackle.

“No way… I don’t think I can have such a life, maybe not even a peaceful one” She said so a bit melancholically. That must’ve hit hard. I might have a way to deal with it but perhaps a bit extreme… 

“Perhaps… you should go somewhere far away? Maybe a bit crazy of a suggestion but I know how to do it” I suggested and wonder how she’ll respond.

“Well… That sounds like something you might be able to do” She replied looking a bit amused. Hopefully she’ll cheer up a bit even if that’s a legitimate suggestion.

We looked at the night sky as we just sat down on the wood log. How long has it been? When I got here the sun just set, and now the stars shine.

“It would be great to take you away like a prince from a fairytale wouldn’t it? Unfortunately I have something else to deal with, tomorrow I actually have to deal with a pesky meeting” I said, sighing a bit at the last part with how obviously problematic it’ll probably be. She looked at me curiously hearing me saying so, as well as a bit of consideration.

“Really? I really shouldn’t have been so difficult then, sorry for taking up your time” She responded apologetically. She really doesn’t have to say that.

“It’s all fine, I’m the one coming here in the first place, and I would say I do not regret it” I said with a smile on me as I look at her face to face. She has a small smile on her as well, as hard as it is to detect.

“Thanks… to think I’ll actually get to talk to someone again, that I can feel like… I’m not alone” She said. There’s no doubt that it’s a heartfelt confession on her part, and I’m glad she said it.

“And you will never be again, that much I hope for as well” I said, still having a gentle smile on me, hoping for the best for her. 

The dark wind howls yet the beauty of the dark sky persists. The dark can be scary, yet one of the sky is beautiful. Now where we both are, the light of mine shines bright to not let the darkness encroach on us, yet the veil of the dark sky still paints a peaceful and solace world for us to talk. She lived in a world full of darkness, and here I am making sure it doesn’t leave her alone in it.

We smiled at each other still for a few seconds… It’s been a great discovery, seeing her and able to help someone who really isn’t too different from me back in the days. 

“So… What else is there to talk about?” I awkwardly break the silence between us. 

“I’m not sure myself” She said, shaking her head slightly. Are we really out of topic to talk about?

“It’s a shame that we can’t find more to talk about” I said regretfully.

“Well… I think we have been talking a bit long already… You have a meeting tomorrow don’t you? Shouldn’t you go back for now?” Rumel pointed out. That’s one way to end it without me having to say it myself. It has been a long time as she has said, so perhaps the conversation should end, at least for now. I stood up in response to what she said, and reached out a hand to her.

“That is certainly true… However I want you to at least know, know the feeling that is me” I said in a vague tone, opening my palm for her to take.

*Touch* *Shine*

We hold our hands for a moment, as it shines bright per my command. Soon we stopped and I brought something out.

**Plant**

Two swords, just two ordinary if high quality swords just for her, as well as-

*Lit* *Planted*

A torch for her, planting it in the ground as well as the light of my spell faded out, as the curtain fell on our meeting.

“These are gifts from me to you. To keep you living, and shining… Goodbye for now. Rumel” I said as I turned my back towards her.

“Goodbye. Reiza” She replied warmly, getting a satisfied smile from me. Our meeting has been something quite fateful, perhaps more for her than I, but regardless of all that I wish her the best of all.

*Zoom*

 

4