Book 3: Chapter 52: Bell: The Flower and Vampire
93 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just swinging my sword about waiting for whatever role that sage has for me. This should be the last training or sparring to get me up to speed so she said, I have to wait for Vermilla to come along so I could spar for one last time to ascertain how ready I am. I’m in the clearing far from the forest where the castle is, just out of nowhere with nothing but the mundane greenery of trees and grasses.

It was a spur of the moment that I choose to come here and it has been a fine life, but there’s definitely a feeling of involving yourself in something you really shouldn’t, like you’re at the side unseen and dangerous. It’s not so much that I haven’t been doing anything like this before but… the scale here seems a bit big so to say.

“What is it you’re thinking about now?” Suddenly a voice was heard and the person came into view. Vermilla the demonic general. Really long sword and messy spiky hair, stoic and barely said anything. Reminds me of myself a bit with how I was in the past, but clearly unlike me back then she actually isn’t lonely.

“Nothing important. We’re going to test my abilities, are we not?” I said calmly as I stopped swinging my sword about and planted it down then looking straight at her.

“Yeah. That’s what we’ll do, show me your best, make sure not to disappoint me” Vermilla said as she summoned her longsword, which is about 6 feet in my estimation, therefore longer than my sword, and approaching will be difficult. The sheer length alone is extremely intimidating, and I better exploited my sword’s function and magic to not get into its range.

“If you insist” I said feeling a bit sweaty already as the stress from her presence and battle ready nature already put me for a loop. It’s thrilling yet frightening to experience being on a back foot of a battle, I have never fought anyone unambiguously stronger than me before coming here.

My face no doubt has a look of distress on them as I take a battle ready stance. Vermilla did the same as she held her sword up and angled it down to the side for her stance, like she’s anticipating an attack.

When the first step takes place is when the sparring will begin, and I better make it count. Standing ready and making sure to hear and see everything in this match, I can’t let a single detail go.

*Step*

A single step from her and she immediately disappeared from view! Where did she go-

*Clash*

Behind me was it? Trying to blindside me this early yet I thankfully managed to block the attack. She still holds on to the attack however, I’m getting pushed back at this rate, as if I lose balance the fight is already over.

Holding my ground won’t be enough to get me out of this situation, I need to make this retreat count.

She’s taken off guard as I quickly leaped backward as to retreat. If I make a misstep there as the pressure from her swing is still there she would probably just end up cutting me in half. Now I need to attack while the window is up.

*Swing* *Clank*

Immediately the blades detached and turned into whips, a long range weapon that should be able to hold up against that ridiculously long sword. Swinging it at Vermilla she parried the attacks impressively, striking at the individual metal parts to cause the motion of the whip to lose its balance completely, unfortunately that’s bad for me, to think she’s that skilled. Usually she opt to evade or put up a barrier of some kind. When she’s preoccupied with that however it'll be pretty easy for me to rush in as she thinks she has to deal with any more long range attack.

“Tch!” She clicked her tongue as she realized what I just did. Reforming the blade and went in for a rush of attacks that her longsword will have some trouble retaliation.

*Block* *Block* *Block*

She managed to block them all but it’s clear the extreme close up of my attacks made her unable to retaliate due to the sheer length of her swo-

*Dim* *Sprint*

“That was close” I thought out loud seeing the darkness in her hands manifesting. I retreated back seeing them forming immediately, she can easily fire them point black when her sword wouldn’t work.

*Blast* *Evade*

She fired them anyway as I am out of the range of her sword. That was like a cannon shot level of power I believe, that was no weak spell. I dodged to the side as the attack was blasted towards me at high speed, I could even feel it trying to pull me in, that could’ve been bad. I needed to retaliate before she tried to close in on me with that massive sword again.

*Swing* *Shine* *Dim* *Swing*

Stepping a few more feet back I swing a few blasts of light towards Vermilla. She easily blocked them by swinging at them with her darkness infused blade, even with the size of the sword in consideration she can’t really be called slow, it doesn’t compromise her speed enough to be able to fight her at close or long range comfortably. Not helping with the fact that I’m not good with high speed either, makes me really uncomfortable.

“Hmph, you performed much better before. What’s the matter?” Vermilla asked as she dispelled the enchantment on her sword and held her sword down. Seems my performance so far doesn’t satisfy her.

“As if I could go wild like I did before, I know better than to do that” I said, still keeping my guard up. I did put my guard down in order to attack with much more frequency before, but back then I don’t know how big of a problem this woman in front of me is.

“I see. Guess I have to force it out of you” She said as she took a stance one more. We’re about 15 feet apart give or take, just a few steps and I’ll already be in her range.

*Dash* *Swing* *Evade*

Immediately she did exactly that, a few steps forward and swung that ludicrously long sword at me, I managed to step away but that’s a brief respite at best, I need to retaliate as well.

*Swing* *Clank*

“Huh?” Letting out a bewildered sound her balance is thrown off if only slightly. Another swing came in and I blocked it and pushed the blade away, giving me room to go in and strike her.

*Dash* *Lunge* *Evade*

Damn it didn’t connect. Lunging in and stabbing her right in the chest would probably be too easy.

*Swing* *Duck*

That was way too close. Just after she jumped out of the way she had to swing her sword down at me again, I need to retreat while she’s still regaining her balance.

Both of us are once more many feet apart. We really aren’t going anywhere with this. She doesn’t use her full strength and I am too afraid to use mine, she might end up using hers in retaliation and end me. 

*Dash* *Block*

She rushed towards me again with more swinging, I have to block these attacks with no room for rest, they’re getting more precise and trying to hit me where I couldn’t block. I need to strike back. Finding that one opening and-

*Stab*

“Ugh!” She groaned out in discomfort as I managed to get a hit in, she got too close for her own good and let my sword planted in her chest. Despite how this should be a fatal wound she doesn’t look all to that distressed as she immediately backed off while clutching her chest.

Blood spilled out and she looked a bit out of breath.

“I… would’ve thought you would’ve gotten a hit in with a… flashier move than that” She commented like a disappointed spectator. Seems that really would not do it, I can’t let my guard down now.

*Dash*

And I can’t let this opportunity go by either, she’s still clutching her chest with one of her hands while the other holds the sword, she should be slower with her retaliation with only a hand to spare.

*Flap*

“Tch!” I clicked my tongue after realizing what’s happening. She flies up high to lick her own wounds while I am stuck down here, just as I’m about to do her in. This feels rather unfair.

“Seems I take you too lightly, or rather carelessly” Vermilla said as she stopped clutching her chest, revealing to me that the wound had already disappeared.

She raised her left hand up to the sky as I could feel and hear the wind around us going in a frenzy as it felt like the world also darkened. Looking up it seems like dark wind swirls and howls above her as if setting the stage. She’s going to be much more serious and aggressive no doubt.

Her bat-like wings fluttered in the wind as it feels like the whole world is covered by a massive storm. There’s no getting out of this one.

*Glide* *Parry*

She glided down and tried to strike, but I managed to hit her away with my blade, only for her to still be in the air and having advantage in that regard. Is there a way for me to get her down there? I can attack up but it would be better if she’s on the same level as well. Perhaps I could attack those wings of hers? Would that even be possible?

*Glide* *Slice*

She does it again and slices. I managed to get away but the ground in front of me now has a gap in it, this is just crazy to put it lightly. She still hovers up in the sky not letting me get a hit in, if this isn’t an empty field I would’ve had a much better chance than this. I need to find a way up to her. I could try jumping, she’s not too high up, but if I fail to make a difference then it would be the end of me, she can easily move around in the air when I couldn’t.

She’s putting her hand up in the air again, what is she doing now? Ah. I see… more than a few spikes of darkness that look like they could skewer me. I believe I'm better off running away for now.

*Launch*

Yep. I can’t even entertain the idea of blocking them. I ran away and dodged the incoming attacks that left holes in the ground. She’s barely pulling any punches here which is definitely alarming.

*Swing*

A single swing from her still up high in the sky and suddenly it’s as if the ground below me collapsed. Because it did. If all that have done before was nothing compared to this then… Then what else do I have to deal with here?

*Tumble*

I can’t stand up straight like this and predictably fall down to the ground collapsing beneath me. She’ll definitely follow up with another attack, I need to get up now. Using my sword as a cane for me to quickly regain balance and-

*Glide*

Here she comes! 

*Parry* *Crash*

That was… way more extreme of a consequence than expected. I get sent flying from the collapsed ground to elsewhere as I successfully strike back at her, if only it feels like I’m the only one getting hit. It’s not a clean falling at all and I am… in a bit of pain.

Standing back up to see where she is I noticed that a good deal of the battleground is in shambles. The dark winds surrounding the area along with all of these deformities makes it seems like the world is about to end, when in the grand scale of things this is just a test, one that doesn’t really determine anyone’s fate other than mine.

*Swing* *Crumble* *Leap*

Another swing of her sword once more causes the earth below to collapse. I jumped away not letting myself fall down with the ground.

*Swirl* *Strike*

“Guh!” I’m hit right in the chest what seems to be a dark energy of some kind that is enveloped by extremely strong wind. Whatever it is, it dealt another blow to me that I can’t effort taking any more. I need to stand up straight and anticipate what is to come.

She’s hovering there as the wind roars. Anticipation something from me no doubt. What am I supposed to do about this? I supposed I could try using some magic to even the odds a bit, not looking like there’s any other way to go about it.

Planting the sword down on the ground as the catalyst of my magic. The next question is what to cast. Earth magic to get up to her? Light magic to attack her from far away? Or perhaps something riskier than that...

*Shine*

“Hm?” There’s a look of concern on Vermilla’s face as she saw the cracks in the ground are filled with lights. Lights that shine through like a wall of blades, all targeting her specifically like a homing projectile.

*Glide*

Immediately she flew away and tried to not get hit by these spells of mine, and I know full well that even if they hit her it wouldn’t do as much as I hope. I ran, I ran towards her as the spells I conjured-that she gives me time to conjure-also flies towards her.

“Enough with this!” Vermilla declared as she suddenly put up a shield of darkness, no doubt to completely block all of the lights coming towards her. 

There’s my chance. Running towards her finally coming to a stop. I need to do this right.

*Boom* *Shine*

The blast of lights hit the shield of darkness, and that’s exactly what I expected to happen, now it’s time to end this. Concentrating all the power I have into my sword and legs, this will be the finishing blow.

*Leap*

“Haaaa!” With a roar of power I jumped up high as the lights targeting Vermilla are besides or passing by me. My blade is covered by light and I’m above my opponent, there’s only one thing to do.

*Strike* *Crack* *Crash*

With that one blow breaking her defense, the last barrages of light blasting her, and the blow sending her downward, it all caused her to plummeted down to the ground where she once was above, but this isn’t enough against someone like her. One last attack must be made toward this demonic swordswoman.

I began falling down as well, and soon will land on the same ground I sent Vermilla to, I just have to prepare this as quickly as possible.

*Shine*

Letting the power of everything flow into my blade, my own, or anything nearby, let the surge of power completely enveloped and concentrate into this blade, and it all shall be released onto a single target.

*Land*

As soon as I landed I could see a silhouette with a shine reflected on their personal, there’s no need to guess as to who this is, I just have to face her without fear.

*Dash* *Point*

She came right for me, but it’s over for her! Pointing the blade right at her as she aimed for me, she’s right into my attack. One fatal mistake.

“[Blossoming Spark]!” I shouted at the top of my lungs. At that very instant it’s as if the world we’re on the top of is shaking violently, as if shaking in fear.

*Blast*

One massive blast of light. Completely enveloping my foe in it and sending a great force that causes a ripple, a force of power pushing everything away. A light so massive and blinding that drains everything I have.

“Haaa… Haaa… Haaa…” I collapsed to the ground completely out of any semblance of energy. I can only hold myself up with my sword and nothing else. I’m absolutely not in a condition to continue fighting.

I can’t even bother to hold myself up anymore, letting my body fall on the cold floor as the sky is no longer clouded by a storm of darkness. I guess… I did it.

“That was splendid” Vermilla commented as she walked over to me, looking clearly exhausted and wounded, with a great deal of her clothing removed as well… I have no need to look at such a thing.

“So? What does that mean for me?” I asked hoping to really know what exactly is up with this test, this final training.

“It means exactly what I mean. You have done well, you’ll do fine against whatever those humans throw at you” Vermilla said, not giving any indication as to my role in the whole ordeal.

“Well… if nothing else that’s a little reassuring… I could go for a nap right now” I said feeling relieved. Closing my eyes and feeling really sleepy. 

“Don’t just sleep out here. Go back to your room first” Vermilla said in a tired tone and I could feel her pulling me up. Lifting me up like a package… I’m just too tired to care for that at this point.

“Haaaah… Yeig come and get us back” Vermilla said to nothing in particular. I guess that sage is within our earshot.

“I heard ya. You sure you’re not doing the teleporting yourself?” The sage said casually. Guess she is around after all.

“Cut it off I’m not trying that if I could help it” Vermilla said towards her close companion.

“Okay okay. To her room right?” Yeig asked playfully.

“Yeah. Need to put her right in her bed” Vermilla said like I’m a newborn.

*Zoom*

“Here we go. Get a good rest then Belphi, hear me?” Yeig said then asked.

“Yeah. Heard ya…” I replied, still feeling really exhausted. I feel myself being placed down on my bed, the oh so comfortable bed they have for me, they really don’t have to but I appreciate it.

“Your role will be determined however you want it, I am merely hoping you won’t disappoint our daughter” Vermilla said in her usual formal tone as I heard footsteps and the sound of the door being shut, guess they left…

*Yawn*

Yeah… It’s sleeping time.

Happy new year!

Here’s a manga style comic I did for fun for this chapter

Spoiler

[collapse]

4