chapter 4
136 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

sorry for the wait guys ill finally started posting weekly

“So, this is goodbye?” 

Azthol, Salomon and Mary were at the edge of the plains right where the forest started, his body still hurt from having his limbs cut off but he felt ok otherwise. He wanted to stay more time with Mary, but he knew just surviving by himself in the forest would be hard, he couldn’t protect her if things got bad. He felt a strange connection with Mary, it was hard to put into words. Like he needed to be with her at all costs. The feeling only got stronger after creating his weapon. 

“Not really, Mary will see you at bastion and while I have some things to something tells me we will see each other sooner than you think.” 

“Papa is right, after you cross the forest, I'll be waiting for you at Bastion. There are... some things we must discus.” 

Her cheeks flushed, but there was something else. Her eyes showed a bit of excitement, like a kid who finally found her favorite toy. It was a bit unnerving. Without saying anything else Mary approached Azthol and placed her lips where his would be, of course the only thing she kissed was Azthol’s mask, but the intention was clear.  

“Well... good luck kid, don’t disappoint my daughter.” 

With that Salomon and Mary were engulf in a golden light and disappeared leaving Azthol alone to enter the forest. 

With determination, Azthol entered the forest. The sun and warm feeling of the plains disappeared the deeper he went, replaced by the cold and wet aura of the forest.  before he even realized the sun disappeared and the only source of light came from the glowing veins of the trees.   

Azthol kept walking straight, that was the only way he could think of reaching bastion. He had no map or directions. He supposed there was a reason Salomon didn’t tell him anything.  

Unlike last time he didn’t feel as unnerved or on guard as last time, in fact even the wet sensation on his naked feet wasn’t unpleasant. He kept walking straight for a long time, there was not day or night in the forest. He kept walking until he felt a bit tired. No matter how long he walked the forest looked the same. Like going in circles the scenery kept repeating itself with no end. With only the sound of water and the occasional drop Azthol kept going for fear of losing faith.  

The veins in the forest began to glow brighter, Azthol saw a shadow just for a moment and yet he knew it could be the children. Summoning his spear, he stood on guard, a small child could be seen on top of a branch, his pale skin and hollow eye sockets immediately caught Azthol’s attention.  

The child seemed to watch in him in interest before going into the tree. Az didn’t relax, if one was near then the rest were soon to follow. Deciding it was best to move Azthol continue to move forward.  

He noticed the trees were becoming different, the still had the same blue veins but some of them started to have what looked like marks made of the same liquid the trees had. It seemed like someone left a trail to follow. Azthol hesitated, for all he knew it could be a trap the kids made. However, it was its only clue to find anything. Azthol deiced to rest before following the marks. He sat concentrated a bit. Remembering what Kyrie and Salomon taught him, he created some bread and fruit to eat. It was difficult and the food tasted weird, he couldn’t exactly say what but there was something off. Creating a glass of water, he drank till he felt satisfied. Azthol missed the taste of the fruit he found in the city, he tried to create one but to his surprise it felt like all of his kur was being used just to make a part of it. He quickly stopped, if he remembered the rules then that fruit was something way more valuable than he first believed.  

Thinking of the ruined city he couldn’t help but feel homesick, even if he wanted to leave, it was the only place he could call home. Of course, that didn’t mean he regrated leaving but he wanted to visit it once he found out how to take his mask off. Azthol created a small fire in his hand, bringing a bit of warm, his clothes weren't warm at all in fact they were thin and his thin body wasn’t all that warm. In fact, if someone saw him, they would think he was a monster of the forest. He liked his muscle fiber armor it made him look powerful. Now he looked really weak. Azthol looked at the sky and only saw the leaves and branches of the trees, maybe if could fly he would be able to see where Bastion was located. However, there was something that told him that flying to the top of the trees was a bad idea. Like an insect approaching a spider's web, he dismissed the idea and took a deep breath. He might not be able to sleep, but he could at least relax. 

After resting for a bit, Azthol decided it was time to continue. Standing up he continued to follow the marks, the forest getting even more dense the more he followed the trail. In fact, the trees themselves seemed to be covered in ice the water on the ground frozen making it slippery.  the marks became bigger and soon the blue liquid became frozen making it hard to distinguish them. 

Azthol continued but it became increasingly difficult to see the marks. The terrain became more hostile, just standing still for a moment and his body would start to literally freeze. With labored breath Azthol arrived at a small lake, in the center of the lake was a small cabin.  

The cabin was made of frozen wood, Azthol felt like his body was becoming lethargic. More than that, there was a feeling of wanting to give up. To just embrace a peaceful sleep and stop doing anything. The rusty liquid covered his hands and feet, and suddenly the feeling was gone, no it was still there just more subdued. It was the same way he felt back in the city. 

Azthol walked towards the cabin, he would just jump over the lake. He didn’t expect that the moment he jumped his body would instantly drop to the lake. As he expected the lake was cold but this was another level. He felt pain, like his body would break in pieces. For some reason the bottom of the lake had like and looked more like the surface of the lake. Finally getting out Azthol took a deep breath taking the needed oxygen.  

His body still felt like it would break any moment so he used his kur to heat himself up, but that wasn’t working, his body was becoming bluer by the second. The rust covering his hands and feet broke leaving his hands and feet the pale color they were before.  seeing this Azthol covered himself in rust, once it completely turned blue the rust broke leaving, the cold leaving with it.  

With things now under control Azthol looked around noticing how the forest changed, now lokking like a normal forest in the middle of winter. The cabin transformed into a big building almost looking like a small mansion, it was worn down and covered in snow. Somehow the feeling it gave was worse than the cabin. Something was really wrong, Azthol could see the entrance the door was open and he could feel it. Madness, sadness, sorrow, regret even disgust and hate. Nothing good would come if he went inside.  

Despite all of that he knew that the only way to go was forward. He had a feeling that the only way to get out of the forest was inside that building. Summoning his lance again he slowly entered the building.  

It was that time again; future prospects would come to try and enter bastion some would and the rest would be dispatch to the military. Vermillion was happy with this system, it meant people had a chance to enter bastion and if they don’t pass then they can still enter the military with no problems. Bastion was the shield of the cities, so only the best of the best can enter. The military was where the rest were, there was nothing wrong with being a soldier but the reality is that most soldiers were treated as cannon fodder. Of course, the benefits that came with being a soldier made up for it. A willing and happy soldier was better than 10 forced and depressed, it was a lesson they learned during the beginning of the war.  

Vermillion heard that this year prospects were the cream of the crop, many of them heirs from the top families and some with no background that had talent and of course there was the mysterious Azthol, who would be accepted if he came out of the forest alive. She had no problem with that, if he could cross the forest and get here then that would be enough to earn his place in Bastion.  

To enter Bastion, one would need one of three things, to be at least a veteran level kur user, talent or creativity. No matter how powerful you were, if you weren't creative in using your power then you were wasting potential. Having one of those three was enough for entering but if someone had the three of them, then you would be accepted into the main tower. That’s where the best of the best trained and learned.  

Vermillion was proud to say she was one of those few people and even if she hated to admit it, Kyrie as well. She walked to the entrance of bastion and noticed two people approaching. She recognized the man and immediately kneeled. 

“It's an honor to be in your presence Master Salomon.” 

“Yeah, I know, let's get the formalities out of the way Vermillion. I'm in a hurry so I listen. This girl here is my daughter Mary. I need you to take care of her until Azthol arrives here. And also make sure they stay in the same room ok?” 

“It shall be done master Salomon.” 

“And tell that old witch to take it easy with the new students, they need time to grow.” 

“I will pass your message to the director.” 

“Take care Mary and remember to be careful, Azthol should be here in a few days.” 

“Yes papa, don’t worry about me and do what you need.” 

Salomon was once again reminded why he choose to take Mary as his daughter, her smile was worth everything. With that Salomon turned back and disappeared in golden light. 

Vermillion looked at Mary and now that she was closer, she saw that Mary wan an automata. That was weird, she remembers that most automata were destroyed when Dr. Owen went crazy. However, vermillion trusted Salamon and if he leaved Mary in her care then she would make sure to fulfil his request, besides there was the matter of  Azthol being mention. 

“Lady Mary if I may ask, how do you know Azthol?” 

“Oh, you also know of my dear Azthol! Well, he and that girl named Kyrie saved me in the blue forest, after that papa trained him to be master level.” 

Vermillion was surprised it´s been only a bit more than a week since Kyrie informed them of Azthol and she said he was at novice level to become master level in that short time was really incredible. She could only hope he came out of the forest alive, but if he was trained by master Salomon then he should be fine. 

“Well please follow me lady Mary, I'll show you to your room.” 

“EHH! But I want to be here when my dear comes.” 

“You'll be able to see the gate from your room.” 

“Oh, ok then.” 

With that vermillion stood up and showed Mary to her room, she was going to be really busy in the coming days, she also had to inform the director.  

Mary looked around the hallways seeing the weird designs and patterns that adorned walls ceiling. Everything was the color of pure white, which made it really different from her home in the unperishable plains. Mary followed Vermillion trough a huge bridge that connected the main tower with the rest, it was a beautiful sight. Arriving at the main tower they took an elevator to the floor just below the director’s room. This floor could only be used for really important people like the rulers of the cities or like. Since she was the daughter of someone as important as Salomon it’s only natural that Mary would receive the best treatment.  

The Room they arrived at was a huge white and empty one which surprised Mary, but before she could ask, Vermillion said. 

“The rooms in this floor are special you just need to imagine how you want to them to look and have. Please try it lady Mary.” 

Hearing that Mary concentrated and imagined the perfect room for her darling and her, in a matter of seconds the room transformed completely, leaving Mary with a Wide smile. Vermillion didn’t show it on her face, but seeing the room Mary had created was weird. Mary definitely has issues if this is where she wants to spend her time.  

“Seeing the room is to your liking I'll take my leave lady Mary, if you need something just say my name and I'll come.” 

Vermillion left the room, leaving Mary alone to watch through the window, waiting for her beloved Azthol. If she could see Mary´s eyes she would be surprised to see the madness and devotion in them. The room slowly started to distort. 

Kyrie dodged another black snake, her armor was destroyed and there was a mark where one of the snakes bited her in the leg, her bare breast were exposed but one of them was almost completely destroyed. Her left arm was gone and her right eye was lying on the floor. She was barely alive, yet her opponent was completely fine, no sign that she was even taking this seriously.  

Kyrie concentrated her kur into her sword, she used to block the massive balck snake heading for her, the head of the snake was cut but that didn’t stop it, it continued to push Kyrie back. Until she crashed into wall. Yet she still held her sword like it was her last hope, the snake turned into small black particles. She barely had any moment to breath before a balck tendril grabbed her by the leg. 

The tendril dragged her along the wall then another tendril stabbed her through the stomach. Kyrie used her sword to cut both tendrils, falling to the ground flipped midair to avoid a snake going for her throat. Finally landing she started blocking and cutting the small black tendrils that tried to stab her. 

Kyrie started getting faster and faster to the point that the concept of speed was irrelevant as she started blocking and cutting at the same time. However, black line appeared in her leg, she couldn’t block what was always there. The line started expanding, her body was quickly covered by the lines and then she felt pain. 

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!” 

She finally screamed for the first time since the fight began, the pain was the worst she ever felt. Her consciousness began to fade her mind going back to the last time she felt like this. 

It's not about being one or the other, duality is about being both. That’s why its dual, you don’t have to choose one over the other Kyrie.” 

Why did she have to think about him now? She missed him so much. She could see his image, the back she was always chasing after, but for some reason now she felt like someone was behind her, turning around she saw a familiar mask chasing after her. 

You are both Kyrie, you just have to accept it. Once you do it nothing will be impossible for you. I'll be waiting for that time when you can stand next to me.” 

The thing she wanted to be the most and the thing she could be. She didn’t have to choose; duality was about being both. For a long time, she only used the superficial aspect of duality. Now she even had someone chasing after her. She would become both ideals, because now she had someone who would stand next to her again. 

“Even if no one believes in you I will and I'm sure there will be more people out there who will in time, stand with you. You just need to take the first step. Because you are Kyrie Meld! The one who will change this shitty world!” 

She always remembered his words but she finally understood the meaning behind them. Now that Azthol was chasing after her she understood. Not one or the other but both, he looked at both of them, Azthol with his mask and he with that smile he always had.  

She was still standing the lines haven't left her body but now she didn’t feel pain. Feeling yet unfeeling a contradiction, but what was a human if not a contradiction.  

Duality wasn’t just the line to divide, or the change, it was being both. A mortal god, or a wet fire. All and yet none. She swallowed all the pain as if it was good for her. 

 She finally reached that point. With a wave of her sword the lines disappeared. She could feel it, she didn’t have long. Without moving she was in front of her enemy and not with a swing or a thrust but with both. An attack that would have destroyed the core of most kur users, but her opponent was at the pinnacle of a core kur user. To show how strong that attack was her opponent moved for the first time and blocked the attack with her open hand.  

The sword started to fracture before finally breaking. 

“So, this is the peak where he stood. Ha, I wonder if can reach it?” 

With no strength left Kyrie fell to the ground unconscious, she didn’t saw it, but the hand that blocked her attack was bleeding. 

“You reached it, even if it was only for a moment. This white blood is the proof, be proud Kyrie Meld” 

1